Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I have a son at Marquette, and he just sent me a pic of the forecast there and asked me if he really had to go to class! Ha!

I'd wimp out, but I'm in Houston.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just remember one simple thing ... "Fat doesnt care" ... its something that helped me on days it was cold, or to hot, or i was to tired, or just didnt feel like going. Fat doesnt care if its cold, it doesnt care if its hot, its doesnt care if you are tired, it doesnt care how you feel. If you need a day off then by all means take one, but dont let the weather be the reason... Unless of course your gym is outside in which case i would say SKIP it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd only miss the gym if I couldn't get to it eg heavy snow. And then I'd train at home. ;)
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    No. It's -40 here, and I still made it to the gym.
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Last night it was -42 and I went to the gym and it was the busiest I'd ever seen it. I was hoping the cold was going to mean it would be empty... I think they all had the same idea.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Hell no. I thundergunned it through the snow at 4:30 a.m. this morning to get to the gym. However, I was very relieved to see that it was indeed open when I go there.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thats why I love having a gym in the house, I would not go out if it was cold out. It was 50 out this morning I almost did not walk the dog.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No way!

It's been so cold lately where I am. Maybe not THAT cold, but still. Too much snow! I'm still out going to the gym even though I'm the only one who's bothered to go (got the place to myself :D)

The workout will warm you up, and before you know it you'll be quite warm. Then you can go home and feel good, knowing that you got your usual exercise in still.
  • schlagers
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I'm in the Milwaukee area too. Get to the gym. I'll go if you'll go!!! Don't let our cold temps deter you from working out. Park as close to the door as you can to lessen the blow of the cold and bundle up!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I thought about it yesterday when it was -5 here in Madison when I woke up. But I bundled up and made the trip.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It's so cold out today (Ontario) that I wish I had a car and could go to the gym to warm up. I'm sitting here , dressed with a blanket thrown over me. I have the fireplace on too. I may go out later for a short walk, but can't stay out more than a few minutes or frostbite happens. The gym is a godsend in the winter.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I went last night (-10) and will go again tonight (should be around -3). Frigid weather is why I love the gym. I think it depends a lot on what you do at home and how often you consider it cold enough to skip the gym. In Minnesota, if I skipped the gym every time it dropped below zero I would skip most of January. However, if I skipped only when it was -10 or below it would only be a couple of days and wouldn't matter. Personally, I like the near empty gym. I bring a towel and change of clothes, so even without showering I can dry off and change.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it's not cold inside the gym is it? bring a change of clothes so you're not walking outside in your sweaty stuff.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Is the gym not heated?

I've skipped the gym for a hurricane off the coast. Husband thought the weather was scary and wanted to go inland. :grumble:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Nope I trudged through the snow to the gym Sunday (my new bicycle still isn't here yet) and I am going out there again today. Love the cold weather!
  • trishmce
    Options
    Not easy but I get there by 5am to do it---the gym is heated!
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Iv still been this week and last when it was cold, however I then came down with a chest infection so had to skip yesterdays workout.
    I am hoping to be well enough to go tomorrow, dont think my chest could manage cardio but I will go and do my weights
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I won't skip they gym, it's indoors! Plus, it's less than 2 miles from my house, no excuses. I will skip my outdoor runs in this weather. Sometime, it's just not safe to run outside, especially if you don't have the proper attire.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My hats off to everyone who has the strength and will power to go out in freezing temps! I live in deep south Texas and people down here (including myself) are really thrown off when the temperature drops to freezing levels. Public schools have cancelled classes when temps have gotten into the mid 20s!

My original reply was going to be "No, stay home, stay warm and keep safe", but now I realize that freezing temperatures and snow are par for the course in some parts of the country. Kudos to all who brave the elements to stay healthy!
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I hear you! It's a bone chilling 56 degrees in Phoenix right now.