Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Really when it is cold out that is when I do go to the gym, during the warmer weather I am usually outside working out.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I am! I'm not going out and waiting on the bus in this cold! I can do squats, sit ups, pushups, yoga and zumba videos in my bedroom.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great time to work out at home! Warm, private - you don't need headphones you can play your own music - do it homestyle!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You don't need snowsuits or boots in the twenties. For the two minutes they had to be outside they could wear five shirts and layers of pants under fall/spring coats. I know that it would feel colder to them, but government institutions don't close down because it feels cold. They close down when there is danger. If it were for ice or sbow, I would get it, but there is no danger at 20 degrees unless you are outside for extended periods. Again, I'm not saying they should spend time outside, just that it isn't worth closing a school.
    Who says they'd only be outside for two minutes? Some kids have to walk from home to a bus stop and stand outside for however long it takes the bus to show up, or live close enough to school that they have to walk every day. With only a little wind it can get cold enough for exposed skin to freeze within 5 minutes. It's just too far out of what is ordinary for them to be prepared for it, both equipment and knowledge-wise. And if it snows while the kids are in school and they don't have an army of snowplows and salt trucks to clear the roads like we do up north, they could get stranded at school too. Plus, it's not like the kids are all going to turn out stupid because they had a snow day. ;)

They close for like 3" of snow. That's a poor example.

Chicago area schools,a t least in the suburb areas of Chicago, don't close for cold, snow, or ice unless it is extreme or affecting the school building (frozen/burst pipes) Grammar schools will cancel out door activities if the wind chill hits 15 degrees but otherwise it is upto the parents to make sure their children are dressed appropriately. For those who are not dressed appropriate, they will either be "loaned" hats/scarves/gloves from the office OR be made to spend their recess as a guest to the office. As a child I walked to and from school, about a mile, every single day, rain, sun, snow, sleet... it didn't matter. My parents both worked the early shift at work and HEAVEN HELP ME if they got a call from the office saying I was absent... OH and I wore DRESSES to school with only tights to cover my legs. Kids are different these days, they can't handle as much because they aren't made to...
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am in Milwaukee too. And not only did I go to the gym, I took a water class. The gym wasn't as busy and it was great!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No. Do you skip work in warm weather??

Well, it rarely freezes here. Right now it's 50 F and and sunny. A weekend or two ago it was in the 70s and 80s (an "Indian" summer as some call it).

I'm a lot more tempted to skip a workout in the summer than in the winter I think. Mainly because the mere act of walking out the front door will leave your average human drenched in sweat... something to do with 90+ degrees and 100% humidity. When my glasses fog up between the front door and the car (or vice versa) you know it's humid.

Having said that, my treadmill is in the house and I don't have a gym membership. :P
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    So many people assuming she's being lazy, making excuses, and not as awesome as they are. Good grief. Did it ever occur to you that she may still work out at home?

Yes, Texas schools close when there is a significant amount of snow/ice on our streets because it's dangerous when our cars and our drivers aren't prepared to handle such weather. We didn't mean we sit inside and do nothing when it does get that cold.

BoomBoom---This "Texas stuff" is all your fault!

i take full responsibility. LOL
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    No. Do you skip work in warm weather??

I always want to skip work in warm weather, at least the first few warm days in the spring and a summer day or two. I am contracting however so skipping work isn't as simple as taking a sick day, I don't work, I don't get paid.
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No matter how much I hate going out in the cold, I HIT THE GYM!!! I do NOT want to start over at square one & the only
    way to keep losing is to keep working out & watching what I eat. So heat wave, freezing cold, snow, ice, rain or shine,
    (in KS we have it all) my workout is priority!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm in Milwaukee too.
    BRRRR!!!!
    We've been spoiled with a mild winter so far after that crazy hot summer.

I do my cardio first and then my weights so it gives my body a chance to cool down a bit and evaporate the sweat so I don't freeze as much when I go home to shower.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    If it's so cold that I don't want to leave the house, I just work out at home. It's not a reason to skip a workout. That said, it has been in the single digits here and I have still gone to water aerobics! I just try not to get my hair wet.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    To really change your lifestyle and to really see real change you need to want it as much as you want to breathe(thanks tough mudder inspirational video). If the cold is what holds you back then you don't want it that bad, end of story
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Oh hell no. The gym is one of the few places I WILL go when it's freezing outside. And I live in a place that once held the title of being 'the second coldest place on earth, after Antarctica' a few winters back, so you can all stfu, put on your boots and mitts, and get your behinds to the gym :flowerforyou:
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's been -43 celsius a couple days this week - I still went to the gym. No point in making excuses, I tell myself. As soon as I find one excuse and justify it, I find another and another and, soon, I won't be going at all.
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Plus, it feels awesome to get hot and sweaty when it's so cold!!
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    no, as much as i hate freezing weather- i still go.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nope, and I usually have water exercises done, too.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I do. I have had several bad colds do me going when I should not have.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Chicago area schools,a t least in the suburb areas of Chicago, don't close for cold, snow, or ice unless it is extreme or affecting the school building (frozen/burst pipes) Grammar schools will cancel out door activities if the wind chill hits 15 degrees but otherwise it is upto the parents to make sure their children are dressed appropriately. For those who are not dressed appropriate, they will either be "loaned" hats/scarves/gloves from the office OR be made to spend their recess as a guest to the office. As a child I walked to and from school, about a mile, every single day, rain, sun, snow, sleet... it didn't matter. My parents both worked the early shift at work and HEAVEN HELP ME if they got a call from the office saying I was absent... OH and I wore DRESSES to school with only tights to cover my legs. Kids are different these days, they can't handle as much because they aren't made to...
    I grew up in Addison/Westmont/Downers Grove and always walked or rode a bike to school. I was in high school before I even had the option to take a bus. So I am not saying this from a southern perspective. It's not that kids aren't made to handle as much, it's that weather like that is so rare down there that they aren't prepared for it and it's way more dangerous to them than it is to "us."

Someone who lives in Antarctica could make the same claim about your (our) schools closing when the windchill hits -40. "What? Just wear a parka, wussies! Geeze it's not like it's 170 below or anything!" LOL
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Luckily my gym is at work and at home, so no skipping for me