Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• seanzbratt
    Options
    well sweety unfortunately i dont go to the gym but i do walk...and this darn weather is not very supportive.....what i do is i check daily forcast and find the warmest part of the day for ex. today from 3 -5 its gnna b 7-8 degrees......i have a little over four hours to psych myself out for this walk......its not easy but look on the bright side this is the coldest part of winter....so temps can only start going up from here....
    :wink:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No. Get moving
  • seanzbratt
    Options
    love this post......lol that is exactly what my bff and her daddy would say lol......thank u for helping me psych myself out for my afternoon walk in 8 degree weather.....no hills walking a small puppy.....and not wet!!!!!!:laugh:
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My hats off to everyone who has the strminutes they have to be outside they could be wearing five shirts abh and will power to go out in freezing temps! I live in deep south Texas and people down here (including myself) are really thrown off when the temperature drops to freezing levels. Public schools have cancelled classes when temps have gotten into the mid 20s!

My original reply was going to be "No, stay home, stay warm and keep safe", but now I realize that freezing temperatures and snow are par for the course in some parts of the country. Kudos to all who brave the elements to stay healthy!

Why would they close schools for mid 20s? I know it's not common there, but there's no danger! When I was a kid the governor closed school for -48 (-60 up north), but that's hardly the same. I'm not saying Texans need to go outside, but 20 is definitely fine for going in and out of a bus.
    How many Texans own snowsuits and giant gloves/mittens/hats/facemasks/etc? I doubt many would be able to layer up even if they wanted to.

It's also a matter of acclimation. Here in Wisconsin when it's 50F in the fall, it's cold. When it's 50F in the spring, it's t-shirt and shorts weather.

You don't need snowsuits or boots in the twenties. For the two minutes they had to be outside they could wear five shirts and layers of pants under fall/spring coats. I know that it would feel colder to them, but government institutions don't close down because it feels cold. They close down when there is danger. If it were for ice or sbow, I would get it, but there is no danger at 20 degrees unless you are outside for extended periods. Again, I'm not saying they should spend time outside, just that it isn't worth closing a school.
  • serenapitala
    Options
    It was -47C (-53F) last night.
    LUXURY!!! It was fourteen degrees below absolute zero and we had to walk to the gym soaking wet and naked in four feet of snow uphill both ways carrying a 700 pound block of ice on our backs. And we were thankful!

My dad used to give me one of those lectures when I complained about cold :laugh:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose the weight I have lost by letting the weather dictate what I am going to accomplish each day.. That is all me, I make that decision... Was -14 degree's this morning and I have already returned from my A.M. workout and it is suppose to be colder yet tonight when I make a return trip for some cardio.... Best of Luck...
  • joshuajohnson1980
    Options
    I don't skip the gym on freezing days but I must admit, I do try to avoid doing physical activity in the cold weather. Once my ears and hands feel the minor effects of frostbite it throws off my concentration. I am in the U.S. Army so I am use to doing physical activities on cold mornings but I am debating if I should take tommorrow's PT test because it's suppose to be 36 degrees out in the morning. I don't necessarily have to take it because I successfully passed one last month. I want the gratification of having the max score of 300 (currently have 286).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't skip the gym on freezing days but I must admit, I do try to avoid doing physical activity in the cold weather. Once my ears and hands feel the minor effects of frostbite it throws off my concentration. I am in the U.S. Army so I am use to doing physical activities on cold mornings but I am debating if I should take tommorrow's PT test because it's suppose to be 36 degrees out in the morning. I don't necessarily have to take it because I successfully passed one last month. I want the gratification of having the max score of 300 (currently have 286).

36 is cold? That's perfect running weather.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You don't need snowsuits or boots in the twenties. For the two minutes they had to be outside they could wear five shirts and layers of pants under fall/spring coats. I know that it would feel colder to them, but government institutions don't close down because it feels cold. They close down when there is danger. If it were for ice or sbow, I would get it, but there is no danger at 20 degrees unless you are outside for extended periods. Again, I'm not saying they should spend time outside, just that it isn't worth closing a school.
    Who says they'd only be outside for two minutes? Some kids have to walk from home to a bus stop and stand outside for however long it takes the bus to show up, or live close enough to school that they have to walk every day. With only a little wind it can get cold enough for exposed skin to freeze within 5 minutes. It's just too far out of what is ordinary for them to be prepared for it, both equipment and knowledge-wise. And if it snows while the kids are in school and they don't have an army of snowplows and salt trucks to clear the roads like we do up north, they could get stranded at school too. Plus, it's not like the kids are all going to turn out stupid because they had a snow day. ;)
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I go no matter what.. you just have to suck it up and go.. you'll be happy you did!

^^^^ MY POINT EXACTLY....
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    It's been 10-12 degrees for the past few mornings and I've gotten great workouts in ! So .........no chance I'm skipping and getting back into my old slug habits again !!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Who says they'd only be outside for two minutes? Some kids have to walk from home to a bus stop and stand outside for however long it takes the bus to show up, or live close enough to school that they have to walk every day. With only a little wind it can get cold enough for exposed skin to freeze within 5 minutes. It's just too far out of what is ordinary for them to be prepared for it, both equipment and knowledge-wise. And if it snows while the kids are in school and they don't have an army of snowplows and salt trucks to clear the roads like we do up north, they could get stranded at school too. Plus, it's not like the kids are all going to turn out stupid because they had a snow day. ;)

They close for like 3" of snow. That's a poor example.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Nope, that why I invest in Nike Therma-fit workout gear
  • serenapitala
    Options

I get the snow closings. And if he had said snow, I would have understood. The kids who walk would either stay home or find a ride, just like they do here when it gets too cold. I had tons of friends who walked to school, when it got too cold, their parents would call around until they found someone to drive them, drop them off early if needed or have the bus pick them up. I used to wait about ten minutes for the bus, exposed face (I always hated anything on my face) and I'm fine. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just think it's crazy. You don't. No biggie. Obviously a few days off for any reason doesn't make a difference, just struck me as odd.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

for the record our schools dont shut down for snow. we shut down for ice. we dont get a lot of snow. just ice. we call it a snow day cause its considered "texas snow". we have sand trucks for bridges and over passes but other than that we are pretty much SOL.
    my family doesnt own super cold weather gear. however i can honestly say i have never heard of our schools closing because it was too cold. but i do agree we are not accolomated to those temps. we can function still. a little lol we are not babies though. come see us in august. i have much respect for you folks that can tolerate the cold. i however can not. i hate it. im sitting at my desk right now with an electric blanket on wearing a fleece sweater over my sweater. and i believe its 45 outside at the moment.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I feel like a bit of a wimp now, England is hovering around freezing and I've been complaining! I finally went for a run in the snow this afternoon though, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had to go much slower than usual because it was so slippy, but it warmed me up and I'm really glad I went.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    So many people assuming she's being lazy, making excuses, and not as awesome as they are. Good grief. Did it ever occur to you that she may still work out at home?

Yes, Texas schools close when there is a significant amount of snow/ice on our streets because it's dangerous when our cars and our drivers aren't prepared to handle such weather. We didn't mean we sit inside and do nothing when it does get that cold.

BoomBoom---This "Texas stuff" is all your fault!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Also, speaking as a teacher in England, we have snow days because there are not enough members of staff who can make it into school. Most teachers etc commute some distance, and because snow is so rare here people don't have the vehicles or equipment to cope with it. (No such luck for me though, I have a 4x4)
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No. Do you skip work in warm weather??
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL NO! GET YOUR *kitten* THERE!, minus 27 today, PRETTY DAM SWEET!