Loosening Up in the Gym- Ladies

Options
1235»

Replies

• MissTess121664
    MissTess121664 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just turn up your headphones and get busy. Those guys know that we are at the gym for the same reason they are...to look good. They actually appreciate a girl who cares about their body. They know most of us aren't interested in body-building and have no desire to do what they are doing, so don't even worry about it! Have fun and claim your space!
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    I put my headphones in and get to work :)
    [/I loveeeee this Thanks!!!quote]
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you can avoid Monday's, do it. People generally get into the gym because they feel guilty about what they ate/drank on the weekend and so have to burn it off. Less peeps on tuesdays, wednesdays, and for me at least, around 3 or 4.
    Act like you've been there before. Take music if you think you need it. Fake it till you make it.
  • Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    Options
    I went with my husband for the first couple times...now I'm pretty comfortable going by myself. Do you have a friend (female or male) you could go with at first?
    Same here, husband helped showing me the differentmachines and the correct forms and got me set up on my way to the truck and then from there I just walk in like I own the place. Most of the guys at my gym have your headphones in they don't even notice I'm even in the room unless I stop them to ask them for some help. Just keep your head up and have confidence and yourself.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as the "guys side", you belong there as much as they do.

This. And PS they are GUYS. Bat your eyelashes and ask to show you something, cannot imagine you would not get someone to help :blushing:
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used to feel intimidated, but quickly got over that (and I'm very self conscience!). I just do my thing and move on. IF I was feeling weird about it, there is a small fitness room in the ladies locker room at my gym that has a couple of elipticals, treadmills and weights, I would work out there. But so far, I've never done that.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm always on the free weight side. It's the first place I go to when I'm at the gym. I just ignore everyone there and focus on what I'm doing. Once you get started you'll be too busy to worry what anyone else thinks of you. I've been there long enough now that I recognize people and we talk, nothing too in depth or too long since we're focused on working out not chatting each other up (or maybe they're just not interested in chatting me up lol)
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I definatly agree- it's everyones side... I pay for it just like they do! I saw one lady going to town on that side and I was totally envious!

Next time you see another woman in the weight area.... Make it an icebreaker moment and go ask her for some advice! Maybe she can show you some workouts, check your form, and it will give you a "buddy" to work out with that day... :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just do it and don't worry about it. I've injured my hip flexor muscles not doing a proper warmup before. Not gonna let anything injure myself.
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I ignore the surroundings and walk straight to the available equipment I need for the day, mostly squat rack. Tho, I was nervous the first time but now, I am okay. I am the only girl there doing free weight most of the time. They don't make me feel uncomfortable or anything. I'm there for my own good
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    but I get comments almost daily from males about how impressed they are..

probably because you squat more than they do
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If my 70-pound-overweight, noobie butt can get in there and do it, so can you! Most of the men there could care less that you're there. Just get in there and do your thing. I'm so glad that I did because I'm no longer that 70-pound-overweight noob, I'm a 30 pound overweight confident lifter. :)

If anyone gives you a hard time, tell them to bugger off! You pay for the same gym they do, darnit!

PS- if you can afford it, why not splurge for one or two sessions with a personal trainer to show you some things? It would make you more comfortable having a guide, I think!
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    What really helped me feel more confident was when I started working with a personal trainer once a week. I learned how to use the weights and machines, along with proper form, from him so now when I do weights on my own in between our sessions, I feel comfortable that I know what I'm doing. I just go in there, do my program, and I leave when I'm done. I don't even pay attention to the guys but I do wish more of them would re-rack the weights.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ask a cute one for some help with your form :)
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I lucked out ob this front. I go to a women's college and use the gym there. The weight room generally has mostly men, but being on a women's campus, they are out of there element, so it all evens out and we're equally awkward :-) but we enjoy the space and our workouts
    Think of it as your space. Don't look at everyone else as split by gender. Look at the treadmills and think of those people as people working on cardio. The people in the weights area are working on strength training. That's it. It isn't men and women, it's cardio and strength. Go wherever you fit. The guys in the lifting area are fellow strength trainers. Those are your people.
    I love my cardio, but a few times a week I am a strength trainer, so that's where I fit on those days.
    Good Luck!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Also headphones. I have mine in no matter where I am in the gym.
  • schlagers
    Options
    I usually just crank up my iPod and it puts me in my own little world.