How do you know someone is the one?

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    When they turn your world upside down, but in the best way possible. When you can't stand the thought of being without them. When you realize that you would do anything and everything in your power to keep them safe and content. When the phrase "I love you" doesn't even begin to express what you feel for them. When you realize that they were the reason you were put on the planet. When you want to be the best person you can be, just for them.

....When you realize that they really are your better half. That without them, you're incomplete.

*Reading script of Jerry MacGuire*

Yep. Word for word.
    Never seen that movie. Not even lying.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    No such thing as 'the one'. You could be with a bunch of different people and experience each as 'love', just because you spent time with them and develop a history. But 'the one you're with' should definitely make life easier than harder.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm not sure I believe in "the one" anymore.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    With the one, you always strive to be best possible version of yourself. They also have all or most qualities you look for in another person.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    foreveralonelikeaboss_4bc85c_3564102_zps8e5563e5.jpg

QFT....and if people think this is messed up..it isn't...and yes, I speak from experience...lol. Much happier alone now :)
  • JonnyR214
    JonnyR214 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's when you accept someone for their flaws and all, when all you think about is that person all day and night, when you love them for who they are basically then, they're the one
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When you can't stay mad at 'em, even when they've earned it. When every awesome thing you do would be that much better if they were there to share it with you. When they make you feel stronger, better, more capable, empowered. When you can't remember what your life was like without them.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    unlocks the driverside door for you while they are inside the car...duh. sheesh havent you watched "a bronx tale"?

Dude you stole mine! Or, more accurately, we both have good taste in movies.

But barring that, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgT2N_nzocs
  • mtpayne5
    mtpayne5 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the one but I do believe that you can find someone that you want to be with forever ever
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In every relationship there comes a moment.

And that moment you ask yourself "this is trouble, I should quit it now"

And if you can't. It's probably the one.

I've waited 3 years to be with my fiance as a family. And it's been a long three years. But three years ago I asked myself if I could just stop, if I could live without him in my life and move on to something more convenient. I could not.

So if you can't let go, for the right reasons.. Don't.
    But be totally honest with yourself.
  • sgtdub555
    sgtdub555 Posts: 692
    Options
    They wear a tee shirt that says 1 am the one

not the shirt that says I am number one because they usually end up being a pile of number 2
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You feel an overwhelmiing sense of happiness when you see them. My heart skips a beat just to see his truck pull in the driveway. When I talk about him I blush, smile and will feel giddy even at 28yrs old. He makes everything okay by just being with me. The one I look forward to falling asleep with and waking up to.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect answer or fairytale ending. You'll know. Don't think it will always be rose petals and champagne.....

I married the woman of my dreams 15 years ago. Still love her just as much today. And she loves me.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about bouncing her skull off the fridge and dropping an elbow on her Randy Savage style....

I am pretty sure she fights the urge to stab through my face with a machete each day also.....

But we truly love each other.

True love.

so you're saying marriage is the act of constantly planning each other's untimely demise, but never actually carrying out any of those plans.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect answer or fairytale ending. You'll know. Don't think it will always be rose petals and champagne.....

I married the woman of my dreams 15 years ago. Still love her just as much today. And she loves me.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about bouncing her skull off the fridge and dropping an elbow on her Randy Savage style....

I am pretty sure she fights the urge to stab through my face with a machete each day also.....

But we truly love each other.

True love.

so you're saying marriage is the act of constantly planning each other's untimely demise, but never actually carrying out any of those plots.

Mixed with mutual respect and occasional sex......
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When you don't have to ask yourself if they are the one

Quite simply... this.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Oddly, my mom once said, "You'll know it's love when you feel like beating his head in with a frying pan, but realize you'd miss him and decide to talk it out." Sounds crazy, but I understand her rationing behind it. Things aren't always perfect, relationships take work, real work, and communication. I think Disney Fairy Tales and soap operas ruined our conceptions of how relationships work.
    Oh yeah, there are times I very strongly dislike my partner, but I always love him and am willing to work it out.

My guy friends say it's when you realize you don't want to bone anyone else... yep, geniuses those ones.. :laugh: :laugh:
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ^^Well, um.. ya :) ^^

You just *know*

Its not the feeling you get when your dad tells you its ok if you want to cancel on the way to the service..... thats just stubborness, not love..
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When he cares more about you and making you happy than he does about himself. And likewise for you. Simple as that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When you don't have to ask yourself if they are the one

Quite simply... this.
    see with this I kind of disagree. My thinking is you should ALWAYS question things. Even love. Everything.
    I don't believe anything is real unless you have questioned it, and come to a decision.
    But I'm weird and anal like that. lol
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You can't stand the thought of not spending your lives together.