Replies

• 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    His farts smell like roses.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask how you know if somone is the one, then you havent met the one yet
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    you just know. I would listen to my grandma and papa tell me about how they met. she was visiting a friend and her friends brother and his friend were fixing a barn. She didn't know the brother's friend, but when she saw him, she said to her friend, "I'm going to marry that man." My papa said he said the same thing. Married for nearly 70 years before she passed away to lung cancer. When I met my husband, I knew that I was going to marry him. 2 weeks later, we got hitched. 3 years later, got a 2 1/2 yr old and still happy.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You feel like your best version of yourself when you are with him. You have similar goals and lifestyles, and want similar things for the future. You have similar ways of handling money (if you don't, you're going to be fighting about it for your entire marriage!). He is supportive of your hopes and dreams, and you are supportive of his. You have known him long enough to have had time to observe his behavior in a variety of settings, and admire his character. His actions match his words (does he say he loves you but then screams and yells at you? If so, maybe think twice!). How does his father treat his mother? Remember, that is his role model for marriage!

Yeah, that heart-pumping attraction has to be there, too. But don't let it sway you from looking at the issues of compatibility! Just because someone makes your heart throb doesn't mean he would make a wise marriage choice.

Good luck!

perfectly said.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Join Match.com. Might find the answer there!

lol gothscene.com worked for me
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect answer or fairytale ending. You'll know. Don't think it will always be rose petals and champagne.....

I married the woman of my dreams 15 years ago. Still love her just as much today. And she loves me.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about bouncing her skull off the fridge and dropping an elbow on her Randy Savage style....

I am pretty sure she fights the urge to stab through my face with a machete each day also.....

But we truly love each other.

True love.

This... this is truth.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When you don't have to ask yourself if they are the one

Quite simply... this.
    see with this I kind of disagree. My thinking is you should ALWAYS question things. Even love. Everything.
    I don't believe anything is real unless you have questioned it, and come to a decision.
    But I'm weird and anal like that. lol

Just because you don't have to ask, doesn't mean that some of us aren't going to just because we're difficult.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I was attracted to him, he to me, and he met my long list of requirements....LOL.

And I looked forward to not just all the lovey times together but I looked forward to the mundane stuff with him. Like washing dishes and budgeting.

I don't know, really. Maybe you 'just know'. Maybe if you have to ask he isn't, or maybe he is but just not yet.

Not sure there is a way to know for sure. Part of it is faith and commitment, regardless of how perfect he or she is or isn't.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect answer or fairytale ending. You'll know. Don't think it will always be rose petals and champagne.....

I married the woman of my dreams 15 years ago. Still love her just as much today. And she loves me.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about bouncing her skull off the fridge and dropping an elbow on her Randy Savage style....

I am pretty sure she fights the urge to stab through my face with a machete each day also.....

True love.

This... this is truth.

I think he might be underestimating a woman's imagination, but otherwise....
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Oddly, my mom once said, "You'll know it's love when you feel like beating his head in with a frying pan, but realize you'd miss him and decide to talk it out." Sounds crazy, but I understand her rationing behind it. Things aren't always perfect, relationships take work, real work, and communication. I think Disney Fairy Tales and soap operas ruined our conceptions of how relationships work.
    Oh yeah, there are times I very strongly dislike my partner, but I always love him and am willing to work it out.

My guy friends say it's when you realize you don't want to bone anyone else... yep, geniuses those ones.. :laugh: :laugh:

This one ^ plus a couple of more items.

You have to be able to know you can fart or belch in front of them without worry.

When I met my DH I decided he was the "one" Him...well, it took him a little longer. Still we've been together 25 years now and still very much in :heart:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask, they're not the one.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

True love.

This... this is truth.

I think he might be underestimating a woman's imagination, but otherwise....

You mean that she is really going to strap me the bottom of a boat wrapped in Canadian bacon and troll the oceans looking for great white sharks? That is possible also.

^^^^ Richard Jeni joke. I miss him.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been married for 26 years so I think I can safely respond to this question. You know the person is the one when you will drive over two hours to see them only to have to return to work the next day. You know the person is the one when you talk on the phone for hours and after 3-4 months you still talk on the phone for hours. You know the person is the one when before you may have been on the market but now you are off the market forever...you hope. You know the person is the one if a a major surgery is needed and you are the only one to help and you'd do it without even blinking. The person is the one if feelings are mutual and you both share the same goals and have the same things in common. The person is the one if you'd never cheat and risk blowing the relationship. The person is the one when apologies are quickly accepted by each other and you move on with your lives. Well....that's my spill and I can proudly say that my wife is still the one after 26 awesome years of marriage. With that said...knowing they are the one and keeping each other number one is a job for both parties. The saying...whatever it took to get him/her is what is it going to take to keep him/her is a valid statement. Good luck with your choices.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When they turn your world upside down, but in the best way possible. When you can't stand the thought of being without them. When you realize that you would do anything and everything in your power to keep them safe and content. When the phrase "I love you" doesn't even begin to express what you feel for them. When you realize that they were the reason you were put on the planet. When you want to be the best person you can be, just for them.

....When you realize that they really are your better half. That without them, you're incomplete.

this is also so perfectly said. beautiful words :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's cheesy but I saw something that said "don't marry a man unless you'd be proud to have a son exactly like him" and I realized this was true. I would've hated to have had a son like my ex but would love to have ones like my boyfriend. In fact I've gone from maybe wanting one daughter to wanting boys. Lots of them. I want an army of clones of my boyfriend. lol. They don't have to take after me at all whereas before I saw being in a relationship as just a means to hopefully get something like a clone of myself.

Obviously disregard if you don't want kids, but if you're like me and have always really wanted kids it's something to think about.

The short answer is, you just know. There's no attempts to try to convince yourself of it.

Also, you absolutely would not change a single thing about them.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    That moment when you realize they are the one is different for everyone. Sorry to be cliche, but you just "know". You know when losing them would be so much harder than keeping them around, no matter what they do wrong or what flaws they have. When there seems to be no other option but to forgive them for their faults. Leaving is simply not an option. And at the end of the day, no matter how much you fight or argue, you still love them, and they love you. Love in a real relationship is not a fairy tale, it takes work, but it is work you want to do because it makes them happy.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Can you picture yourself without that person being in your life? Can you date someone else without constantly thinking of / wanting that person (including during kissing and 'stuff'). If not...then the one on your mind is the one.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My formerly super unromantic self is *cringing* at the thought of responding to this, but he brings out all of the mushy gushy stuff in me and I have to share.

He laughs with me.
    He cries with me.
    He plays with me.
    He makes me want to give and serve because he does the same for me.
    I know he will be there if I need help, but he also lets me accomplish things on my own.
    He helps me learn to be a better parent.
    For the first time in my life, I feel completely safe, protected, and cherished.
    :blushing: :love: :blushing:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's cheesy but I saw something that said "don't marry a man unless you'd be proud to have a son exactly like him" and I realized this was true. I would've hated to have had a son like my ex but would love to have ones like my boyfriend. In fact I've gone from maybe wanting one daughter to wanting boys. Lots of them. I want an army of clones of my boyfriend. lol. They don't have to take after me at all whereas before I saw being in a relationship as just a means to hopefully get something like a clone of myself.

Obviously disregard if you don't want kids, but if you're like me and have always really wanted kids it's something to think about.

The short answer is, you just know. There's no attempts to try to convince yourself of it.

Also, you absolutely would not change a single thing about them.
    I wish we wanted to have another child. I would love a little him.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options

True love.

Sooooo funny.....and sooooo true!! :laugh: I always think strangulation with the belt from my housecoat, but to each their own!