Coconut Oil...who uses it & why?

Options
what are the benefits of using Coconut oil?
How do you use it?

Replies

• victoria090
    victoria090 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use it as a hair mask and has done wonders. Just make sure you get pure with no additives
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I add a bit to my coffee!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Mostly cultural...im originally from India...we use it to cook with and to slather generously on our skin and hair...Indian women have strong thick hair as a result =)

its used on practically everything!! babies, men, women, you name it! :laugh:
    it doesnt leave a greasy feeling on the skin.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The main benefit is it's not a manufactured seed oil -- even if it has zero health benefits it's worthwhile just because of that in my opinion. Because it's a saturated fat it's suitable for cooking so that's what I use it for.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot of Primal/Paleo eaters use coconut oil as their preferred oil for cooking and baking due to it's high smoke point And also because the fatty acids are medium chain versus long chain (medium chain is more easily broken down by the body for use as energy). Here is some more information concerning health benefits of coconut oil:

http://www.lifescript.com/food/articles/t/the_benefits_of_coconut_oil.aspx?gclid=CKmlv7fD_bQCFaN_QgodlUwATg&trans=1&du=1&ef_id=UKQv4QAAD@3izK6i:20130123032314:s
  • Karvro
    Karvro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've seen some recipes on Pinterest for use in baking. You have to warm the oil first, though, since it's solid.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    I'll put a little coconut oil in a skillet and the smash some bananas into patties and fry them that was pretty freakin tasty and the fats are healthier. I also add coconut oil into a pan and throw in asparagus, red bell pepper, spinach leaves, and portabella mushrooms and toss it around until the asparagus is the right texture. The coconut takes away the bitterness of the asparagus adding a little sweetness
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    duplicate
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's processed quickly by the liver and is burned as energy not stored as fat like some other oils. It's great for giving you a boost of energy and is great for your immune system. I also mix it with sugar and use it as a body scrub, it leaves your skin feeling and smelling beautiful!
  • evnevelle
    Options
    I use organic extra virgin coconut oil. Baking, cooking, hair mask (works like a conditioner or leave-in conditioner), make-up remover, moisturizer.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    How do you use it?

I use it for just about everything..........

Off the top of my head, our personal uses are:

Cooking, sauteeing and baking
    Put in my coffee
    Cleanse and moisturize my face and moisturize my body after a shower
    Hair Conditioner
    Use it to make toothpaste, deodorant and use it to shave
    Use it to help cure colds and other viruses. It is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral.

It also clears up hair bumps (like after my husband shaves), clears up acne and eczema.

This is just a small part of the uses for coconut oil.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Cooking mostly. Leaves a nice flavor when you sauté vegetables
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    It's supposed to be super healthy for you, and there is a lot of info on the internet about it. I read somewhere that farmers wanted to fatten up their cattle, so they tried to feed them coconut oil because it is high in saturated fat. Instead of gaining weight, the cows got lean.

I like to use it to make pancakes, french toast, any baked goods. I love coconut, and it provides a delicious flavor to sweet foods. I have also added a bit to hot steel cut oatmeal. I prefer coconut milk with meats.

Some people also use it for oil pulling for dental health.

There is a lot of good info out there about it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Can you buy it in a regular grocery store? Or do you need to go to a specialty store. If so, what section is it normally found in. I'm curious to try it.

But the comment about it only being used for energy and not turning to fat... it will turn to fat if you use expend less energy than you eat calorie wise. Otherwise, great thread with lots of interesting ideas.
  • jaywood58
    Options
    I use it mainly for cooking. Tonight i spread a little on my Kellogg's nutri-grain bar. Yummy
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil, use it for lists of things, food and beauty wise. A word of caution as a facial mosturizer however. If your prone to acne and clogged pores do not use coconut oil on your face as its comedogenic, meaning it is Lilly to produce or aggravate acne
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Higher smoking temperature than olive oil. I like making stove top popcorn w/ coconut oil.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be super healthy for you, and there is a lot of info on the internet about it. I read somewhere that farmers wanted to fatten up their cattle, so they tried to feed them coconut oil because it is high in saturated fat. Instead of gaining weight, the cows got lean.

I like to use it to make pancakes, french toast, any baked goods. I love coconut, and it provides a delicious flavor to sweet foods. I have also added a bit to hot steel cut oatmeal. I prefer coconut milk with meats.

Some people also use it for oil pulling for dental health.

There is a lot of good info out there about it.

If you give cows any type of oil, it won't fatten them up because their herbivorous systems can't process it properly. I bet those cows had the worst case of diarrhea of their lives (and the resulting dehydration certainly made them look leaner I'm sure). But it might have made their hides nice and shiny.
  • ClaireTrev
    Options
    It's SOOOO yummy!

Great as a cooking oil, in sweets and in smoothies. It's often touted as speeding up your metabolism and keeping some nasties, like candida, away. I don't know if thats true or not, but I have found that my skin is a lot less dry since I added it to my diet. Just remember that even though it's marketed as a health food it is still oil... so don't overdo it! I say this because I know I find it irrisistable sometimes haha.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    How do you use it?

I use it for just about everything..........

Off the top of my head, our personal uses are:

Cooking, sauteeing and baking
    Put in my coffee
    Cleanse and moisturize my face and moisturize my body after a shower
    Hair Conditioner
    Use it to make toothpaste, deodorant and use it to shave
    Use it to help cure colds and other viruses. It is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral.

It also clears up hair bumps (like after my husband shaves), clears up acne and eczema.

This is just a small part of the uses for coconut oil.

^ This... Plus I make homemade soap with it!:drinker: