:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • c_mihelich
    c_mihelich Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump !!!!!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    what are the benefits of using Coconut oil?
    How do you use it?

Deep conditioner on my hair, there is published research to support it: doesn't absorb properly if you pile on the fake shine tho (silicones found in many commercial products). Two complements today on how shiny my hair is!
  • keezles
    keezles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found a peanut butter-sized jar of coconut oil at Trader Joe's for $6 in my area. Don't buy LouAna kind- it's gross. I bought a huge jar of LouAna CO for about $4 at Wal-Mart and am now stuck with it! It seems like it's made from rancid coconuts. Go for TJ's brand or Spectrum.

Thanks! :)
    Sure! I use the cheap LouAna stuff for moisturizing and removing eye makeup- I definitely wouldn't use it for internal use, like cooking/baking or treating womanly issues. I won't be buying it again, that's for sure. Like other things, you definitely get what you pay for with oils.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was just reading more about the benefits of coconut oil this morning. I started taking it because 2 members in my family have had early onset Alzheimers and it was recommended that my Grandma (still living, diagnosed about 8 years ago) have 2 Tbsp everyday. Our family saw immediate results in improvement in her mood/speech (was not talking, only saying "no"). I bought some organic pure coconut oil at Trader Joes for $5.49, best price I've seen, and their's tastes really good. It is high in calories/fat (especially if you are aiming for 1200 cal) but the benefits are worth it. Today I am mixing it with natural PNut butter and a banana and rolling it up in a wrap - Yum!

http://www.naturepacific.com/contents/en-us/d227_virgin-coconut-oil-brain-food-prevent-Alzheimers.html

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surprising-health-benefits-coconut-oil
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    help me to understand... I'm mostly vegan so I do eat a lot of coconut and use coconut milk.

But growing up and researching, i always saw that coconut oil was the most saturated fat, and saturated fats are bad. Typically the "good" fats are the ones that have more polyunsaturates and lower saturates. So what is it about coconut oil that makes it an exception?
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    I use it on everything. Probably eat 2-3 tablespoons a day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    help me to understand... I'm mostly vegan so I do eat a lot of coconut and use coconut milk.

But growing up and researching, i always saw that coconut oil was the most saturated fat, and saturated fats are bad. Typically the "good" fats are the ones that have more polyunsaturates and lower saturates. So what is it about coconut oil that makes it an exception?

1 question.... have you ever smelled, felt, or tasted coconut oil?
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options

1 question.... have you ever smelled, felt, or tasted coconut oil?

yes, yes, and yes.

I assume this is relevant, but I'm not seeing why. Please go on...
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies when I want a coconut flavor or some extra calories
    I use it as a makeup remover
    It's great for canker sores.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    Yes, it's primarily a saturated fat, but that doesn't mean you will get fat eating it. This is an extremely important aspect to understand. Check out some of the research done with coconut oil and HIV patients, it's intense.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    There actually haven't been any scientific studies done that confirm the health benefits of coconut oil. It's probably best not to eat it until there are. It's great for skin and hair, though!
  • greyoutside
    Options
    It's not an exception! It's a fad diet thing - there haven't been any studies to back the idea that it is somehow a special exception to the "avoid saturated fat" idea.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Saturated fat being bad is more of a general term to describe how it effect cholesterol, which it increases, and dogma dictates increased cholesterol leads to heart disease. That's kinda the dumb-ed down way to make it easy for gov't agencies to promote low fat when they supported that hypothesis 35 years ago, of course saturated fat has never been linked directly to heart disease and by that I mean they've never proved cause and effect and most studies will show that replacing saturated fat for carbs will actually increase chances for coronary artery disease, which by the way, studies showed this 35 years ago.

Coconut oil is primarily a medium chain fatty acid called Lauric Acid and low and behold it increases cholesterol a lot, actually the most of any other saturated fatty acid isomer. What it increases is HDL, you've probably heard that term before, commonly referred to as the good cholesterol, but with only a small to a negligible increase in LDL, so while it does increase out total cholesterol levels it does what's commonly referred to as lower the ratio of HDL to LDL which translates into being less atherogenic, or heart protective.

This Lauric Acid also being a tropical fat needs to protect the plants that contain a lot of fat like palm and coconut, and to a lesser degree for rigidity in leaves and stems of tropical plants. Being a very hot and humid environment Lauric Acid also contains antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It acts by disrupting the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, and destroys them, which is also one of the characteristics of all saturated fats, which is their more stable and don't oxidized and become rancid and why they've been used as a cooking oil for thousands of years. Centenarians of Okinawa for example have used lard and SE Asians, Africans have used palm, coconut and ghee traditionally. It's only through pressure from the USDA and misguided media that the more refined and unstable polyunsaturated fats has found it's subsidized way as the most consumed oil in the USA. Not too smart on a health level and not that polyunsaturated fats are bad, their not, but not in the quantities consumed. It mucks with things like our omega balance and promotes too much AA Anachronic Acid which is highly unstable and quite inflammatory and promotes chronic low levels of inflammation within the body which shows up in our C-reactive protein levels consumed in these high amounts, I'm talking the standard American diet , not one where someone is consuming mostly natural ingredients and has made a decision to improve the quality of their food, and coconut oil is one of those foods.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ooking ( makes a tasty chicken) , hair conditioner, moisturizer, makeup remover, lip balm, cuticle cream , the list in endless
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's not an exception! It's a fad diet thing - there haven't been any studies to back the idea that it is somehow a special exception to the "avoid saturated fat" idea.
    Tell that to the millions of indigenous people in the tropics who've been consuming coconut oil for thousands of years without problems, well until the golden arched showed up.
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    I use it for the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned. There are also some studies that show it may actually help boost your metabolism as well.

I do make sure to get the unrefined, expeller-pressed organic coconut oil, though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I put it on my hair at night when the ends are getting dry and or stiff or tangly. I slather it on, it melts into oilyness. I put on a beanie and in the morning shower and wash and condition my hair. It's a great skin moisturizer too.

I learned this from a spa that can add to your massage a hot oil dripping of this onto your scalp and then massage it into the hair and scalp during the most blissful scalp shoulder and neck massage ever. :yawn: sends you right to sleep. but then the technician goes "are you staying in this hotel tonight? do you have other plans?" when I said yes, and no. He goes okay then I'm gonna leave this on your hair, when you rinse from the rest of your treatment don't rinse it out of your hair all the way, leave it on as much as possible, sleep with it in your hair and in the morning when you wash condition and style your hair it will be amazing. and it was.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my bath as a lazy way to moisturize my skin :smile:
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Use it as a substitute for cooking oil. Use it to cook my fried rice and stir fry. Asian food is great. I

-Also use it as a mask for my hair and face. I mix it with greek yogurt, honey and olive oil. I heat up the coco oil and olive oil first.
    -Gross, but sometimes I just eat a small scoop of it raw, it has a taste.
    -use it as a moisturizer to for hands and elbows, knees, feet.