Coconut Oil...who uses it & why?

Options

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    ooh a fave topic of mine. I'm hypothyroid and I use this a lot. LOVE it. Use it as a cooking oil, on toast and crackers, and on blemishes and as a hair serum.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    They carry it at warehouse shops like Costco. It is cheaper than the small containers at other stores.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I often fry my eggs and ham in the morning in coconut oil, or a mix of that and ghee.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book by Dr. Mary T. Newport, "Alzheimer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure." Her focus was on its benefits for memory, but she also has a great chapter on coconut oil and saturated fats
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking omelettes and such as well as adding to coffee. I found the best prices to be at Trader Joes where it often sells out -- must be becoming more popular!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well, when I was a teenager, I used to rub it all over my body at the beach, burn to a crisp and this would probably explain the 10 sun cancers I have had cut out in my 40's.

As for cooking, I have never used it and don't intend to. I use vegetable oil for cooking if needed, but usually a spray will do. Or olive oil for salads, if needed for a cold dressing.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Well, when I was a teenager, I used to rub it all over my body at the beach, burn to a crisp and this would probably explain the 10 sun cancers I have had cut out in my 40's.

As for cooking, I have never used it and don't intend to. I use vegetable oil for cooking if needed, but usually a spray will do. Or olive oil for salads, if needed for a cold dressing.

mum did the suntanning with coconut trick, same result as you. I'm hypothyroid and it's ridiculously good for thyroid function :)
  • lunaflora
    Options
    It tastes awesome! I use it for cooking. I get mine at Trader Joe's. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have the best coconut oil.
  • Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can you buy it in a regular grocery store? Or do you need to go to a specialty store. If so, what section is it normally found in. I'm curious to try it.

I found two different brands of coconut oil at Walmart, much to my surprise, and it was almost half the price of similar products at a Whole Foods or health food store. I've also seen it at Super One, and possibly at Cub Foods. Of course, you may have different supermarkets in your geographical location. Won't hurt to check your local grocery store(s) first, before checking in the natural foods stores.

In Walmart, I found it in the section with the rest of the oils. At Super One, it was over by the popcorn/snacks area. If wherever you go has some, it shouldn't be all that difficult to find. It won't be in a pouring-type container, since it's a solid at 76 degrees F, but usually in a glass jar or perhaps in a plastic tub.
  • pam3b
    pam3b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a big jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil. I started using it on my skin and its amazing. I put some on my coffee in the morning and loved it. I am little confused though with the calories. According to the nutritional facts on my jar its calculated for a tablespoon, but is this for when its in a liquid form or solid?
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump...I have hypothyroidism....has it helped anyone? I have been stalled for a year now. How much do you use? Thanks!!
  • tabbyavalon
    Options
    stick it on your hair it does wonders :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    chap stick and lotion mostly.

I'm trying to cook with it.. but i'm not there yet,.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I originally bought it because I own a hedgehog, and you're supposed to use it to treat their dry skin! :smile: But for myself, I mainly use it for beauty purposes. It makes an amazing body scrub when combined with sugar, and I use it by itself to shave! Leaves my legs so silky ;) It's also a great hair mask, which was stated before.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh my, there are actually quite a lot of uses for coconut oil. It can be used for anything ranging to skin moisturizer, helping get rid of candida, give energy, etc. I had two stretch marks on my stomach from rapid weight gain, and after I began using coconut oil (as opposed to regular lotion) on them, they've faded a LOT. They used to be a darker, purple-ish color, and now they're a very light pink, and that was only with a couple of months of sporadic use. It's very beneficial whether it's used internally or externally. You'll want to start low with the dosage, though, perhaps a tsp or less to begin with. Some people have uncomfortable detox-like symptoms at first which I think may be partially due to killing off of candida (which is why low dosage at first is a good idea).
    Here's a link to a list of uses for it: http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good to know!
  • GlynScott
    Options
    There is some research coming out at the minute suggesting it can help prevent the onset of or even temporarily improve the symptoms of dementia - I know a lady wh has this condition who I am told is brighter since she started taking it. However there haven't been any large scale medical trials on this and its not licensed for treatment.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of butter!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I use it to gain weight. Throws the almond halo on to coconut oil.
    Destinations of Coconut Oil Export

Export of coconut oil in May consisted of 37,626 MT of crude coconut oil, 32,640 MT of cochin (refined, bleached) oil, and 4,347 MT of RBD (refined, bleached and deodorized) oil. Combined value of export was USD97.472 million. The US was leading destination during the month responsible for 45,116 MT or 60.5% of total sales, followed distance behind by Europe at 14,071 MT (18.9% share), Malaysia at 8,000 MT (10.7%) and Japan at 5,500 MT (7.4%). Other markets took in 1% and below.

The US was this month’s biggest buyer of crude coconut oil at 15,500 MT; trailed by Europe at 14,051 MT, thereof Netherlands 9,051 MT, Spain 5,000 MT; Malaysia at 8,000 MT; and Pakistan at 75 MT. Likewise, the US was principal importer of cochin oil and RBD oil. Cochin oil uptake was 27,850 MT and was followed by Japan at 4,750 MT and Korea at 40 MT. RBD oil purchases totaled 1,766 MT, tracked by China at 775 MT, Japan at 750 MT, Singapore at 400 MT, Iran 380 MT, Russia 84 MT, Australia 63 MT, Bangladesh 56 MT, Canada 36 MT, Europe 20 MT (Netherlands), and Taiwan 18 MT.

August 23rd, 2012 Filed under: Industry News