Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I seem to have survived 41 years and have never entered a gym.

I've seen them, glanced at the occupants through the window ... the sight didn't do anything for me.

I walk, I do basic, natural, bodyweight work, I do yardwork, I play cricket sometimes ... that's me, and very happy I am :)
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym to workout cause I don't like to workout in front of other people. At home I have many different DVD programs, (P90X, 30DS, TurboFire etc.) I also bought a treadmill, I have hand weights and a lifting bar.

I get all that I need with that.
  • Sherry2555
    Sherry2555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    only at home! I was doing P90x...just purchased a Bowflex treadclimber so now I am using that and about to start mixing in P90x and hopefully Insanity soon! I also have a lot of free weights and like to use them when I am not doing the DVDs. I love working out at home vs the gym because I am very self consious and just feel like I work harder at home.
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill and do dvd's.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii, exercise videos, and youtube, plus my public library offers yoga and zumba twice a week (for free). Plus I have a dog to walk and 5 acres to push mow during the warm months!
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought a kettle bell and work out with some videos on YouTube.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home... so much more convenient! I have a mix of Beachbody programs (Les Mills Combat, P90X, Turbo Fire, ChaLEAN Extreme, Hip Hop Abs, etc. etc). I love having variation to mix up my workouts!!
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work out soley at home (and occasionally when it's not freezing at an outdoor track - that's free). I revolve between 30 day shred and Biggest Loser Cardio Max. I'm impressed with both of them. I would love to get another Biggest Loser DVD also.

Side note, I'm not a fan of Biggest Loser, but for some reason I actually like their DVDs. I think it makes me feel better than many of them people on the video are having the same weight issues I do!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I turned a spare bedroom into a home gym. Treadmill, Weider home gym, 5-position bench, a set of dumbells and an exercise ball. I ran cable into the room and mounted a small tv and dvd player. Most of the stuff was purchased used off of Craig's List..
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have only worked out at home as well. Spring/Summer I mostly walk/run outside. During the colder months I do my treadmill & elptical.
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like I get a better workout if I do a video at home. I used to have a gym membership and I felt like I was wasting my time & money. I lost weight slower, and it took a lot of time out of my day to go to a gym for 2 or 3 hours.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. i've done both over the past year, but I terminated the gym membership and am strictly at home now. I do P90X, Jilliam Michaels, jump rope, I youtube videos, and for xmas my husband just bought me a treadmill off craigslist! Super good value for a basically new treadmill that someone else wasn't using!
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also only work out at home. Currently do Fitness Blender's 8 week program (they have a website and a ton of stuff on youtube). The only thing I had to buy was a small set of weights, an exercise ball, and a mat. Much cheaper than the gym, still effective, and it will keep you away from the flu!
  • clareharris3956
    Options
    Hi

I walk to work and back which clocks up an hour a day and doesn't take much longer than driving in the rush hour.

I also do zumba on the wii and Davina McCall's dvds which are really good. Usually only manage a dvd once a week unless I'm not working then a bit more.
    On this routine I either keep my weight down if I eat normally or I lose a pound a week on 1200 calories a day.
  • plawl
    plawl Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to go to the gym, but I didn't like the way the manager was running the place. One of the instructors was out a couple months for surgery and left a couple ppl to cover all of her classes while she was gone, but the manager decided to cancel half of her classes instead so she didn't have to pay the other to cover them. That kind of thing really just hurts the ppl who want to do the classes and it's not right. Anyways, I already had an exercise ball at home and a hybrid bike I rode while it was still warm out. I ended up getting a mat and a wind trainer for the bike so I can train indoors. Found a ton on work outs on Pinterest that I go through, use a different work out every time, and then put in about 30-40 min on the bike, sometimes with the help of a video that came with the trainer. I work out every other day, and haven't missed a work out since I started at home.
  • unskinnybop1
    unskinnybop1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im a uni student, no way could I afford a gym membership. I do a 20 minute workout every day in my bedroom and find that is enough to achieve my goals. Not a fan on exercising and would rather spend money on nice healthy foods then gym memberships!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm working out at home at the moment. It's not as good as the gym, but there are no inexpensive, convenient gyms near me and I have been more consistent at home recently.

I have access to a walking treadmill and a bosu, and have dumbbells in a range of weights. I also have a heart rate monitor, rep counter, interval timer, stretch straps and a folding exercise mat. My iPod, smartphone, or TV are also essential.
  • Willkathmum
    Willkathmum Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I work out at home too other than one zumba class a week.

Over the years we have bought several bits of gym equipment and recently I have started lifting so we have bought some additional weights so our garage is converted into a gym. I walk or run the dog 3 times a week (hubby does the other days), do weights 3x week and sometimes run on the treadmill. Until I started lifting was doing Jillian Michaels 30DS and BFBM.

I work out at home mainly because I can do it with my 2 children at home, either in the early morning before work or in the evening.

Feel free to add me : )
  • leogerl
    leogerl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only working out at home. On nicer days I'll walk to the park with the kids & walk around the track. We had a membership at the Y but it lapsed & I just never renewed it. I do miss the Zumba classes but otherwise I'm doing better with weight loss now than I was before.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm another "at home only" person. I'm intimidated by the gym first and foremost, but I can't afford it either! I referred to my back porch as "Chris' cardio cave" after I bought a used ($50) gazelle glider. I lost most of the weight I've lost just watching what I eat and using that. Eventually I bought a used exercise bike (another $50 which I sold for the same amount not long after b/c I hated it), a used treadmill ($60), a Body by Jake Bun & Thigh machine ($30) and at Christmas I bought myself a new Gold's XRS 30 home gym ($200). I've also started by never finished several dvds, including JM 30 Day Shred and the buns and thighs dvd.

I bought all my used stuff from Craigslist as well. There are a lot of bargains out there, you just have to look. Also, you can youtube any kind of workout video. I'm close to goal, so what I'm doing is working for me. Good luck to you! It can be done.