Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't been inside a gym in 7 months and in that time I lost 26 lbs with 4 more to go.

I started by doing the Couch to 5K running program outside (last summer). After my 5K, I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred during August, and then her Ripped in 30 DVD during September. I got P90X and a BUNCH more Jillian DVDs (can you tell I love her?!) and I rotate them all right now (in addition to my 2 ballet classes per week). I make sure to use the heaviest hand weights that I can for each exercise so I continue to push myself. (I bought 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb dumbbells, a resistance band for working out while travelling, and a 12lb kettlebell.)

I will say that I'm going to start going to the gym soon though so I can lift heavier and reduce body fat % now that I'm pretty much at my goal weight. I can't afford my own heavy weight equipment. Boo.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I work out at home because the only gym nearby is really expensive. I have a lot of DVDs - Belly dancing, Pilates, Aerobic DVDs, and then of course the ones you can get on YouTube. :) I've also got hand weights :) Then also really long walks help too :)
  • breefawn
    breefawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for the gym, so I saved up and got an elliptical for home. I also LOVE my barre DVDs, as well as kettle bells and Pump :) Find something that works so you'll want to workout :)
  • laneyfox
    Options
    I too can not afford the gym so i make sure I get in a minimum 30 min in walk, do the weights while watching tv :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I did belong to a gym (Planet Fitness), but quit when I outgrew it. I bought an inexpensive weight bench and barbell set for home (and added more when I needed more), and run outside for cardio.
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding the gym until the new year crowds subside a bit. I'm doing Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 at home and I run outdoors.
  • ZombieBubbles
    ZombieBubbles Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I work out at home due to I don't have the funds for a gym. I just started doing Supreme 90 days system. A.K.A 90 days of Hell. Its suppose to be like p90x. Lol. I find it easier to do the work at home. I get up at 6am when everyone else is still asleep. Its my time to let stress go. Keep up the fight.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    We canceled our gym membership many years ago...but I'm probably not the best person to ask b/c I have a full home gym.

But, then again, maybe I am b/c I am the most creative person when it comes to exercise (I get bored easily).

What's on tv? FIT TV that is, also most cable/satellite providers have Free OnDemand exercise, you have to look for it. Our's is called MagRack and what they have changes every month. So if you get bored just wait until next month...

My husband has a XBOX 360 and bought the Kinect...we have lots of games that are fun: dance, tennis, golf, skating, baseball, soccer, skiing, surfing, silly games that make you jump, the olympics

You can always do calisthenics at home with no equipment: jumping jacks, jump rope (without the rope, just mimic), mountain climbers, squat thrusts, burpies, squats, lunges, push ups, planks, sit ups, crunches, you can also do pull ups at the local play ground, chair dips....you can get creative. Run in place (knee to chest or butt kickers), skaters....

Don't forget you can walk or run outside too.
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I've been at this since the beginning of 2012. I've only worked out at home. I've done Zumba (the actual DVD's plus some from Youtube to songs that are more up-to-date), walking (outside when the weather was nice), and now I do Fitnessblender videos (you can find them on Youtube or www.fitnessblender.com). I've lost 30 pounds and several inches (not sure how many because I didn't measure in the beginning). It can be done! I'd love to be able to go to a gym but we don't have the cash, and I really don't have the time right now.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I worked out at home for about a year, reaching my goal in the process.
    I did martial arts workouts at home (cleaned out my shed and put a couple punching bags out there), played on the Wii with the kids, used DVDs, rode my bicycle, and lifted dumbbells (bought an inexensive 40lb dumbbell set and worked up to the full 40lbs.)
    You don't have to spend a lot of money or take a lot of time away from home to get it done!

Now I've started going to the dojo again, but most of my work is still at home.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work out at home only as well. I used to have gym memberships but the whole ordeal including driving, parking, check in, locker room and all over again can take 2 hours!! I love doing the workout videos, there are so many to choose from that I think it's a no-brainer. You don't need fancy equipment and whatever is needed can be saved up for :)

Keep going fitness pals!!
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I work out at home..

My fiance and I bought a Nordictrack elliptical, Bosu balance ball, Wieder weight/bench set, Gold's Gym kettlebells, Altus light handweights (3-8lbs)...we turned out dining room into a home gym. It's actually pretty awesome since it's too cold to go outside...
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home! We have a used Treadlimber, a used stationary bike, and a TV/DVD player set up in our basement. Last month, my husband hung a chin-up bar for me :) I can work out whenever I have time, even if my husband is out of town, I just wait until my boys are in bed.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home! I have a "huge" library of DVD's. I really enjoy Kelly Coffee-Meyers DVD's. I'm almost at my goal weight so strength training has become a must for me. Check out Amazon, they have a great selection of DVD's.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 2 stone by just using my wii fit, doing the walking. I then purchased an exercise bike - god send!! And i now do both of those and have started exercise DVDs. Lost 5 stone altogether.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I am finishing Insanity then moving on to New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Make sure you have a range of exercise programs on DVD that you like and periodically check Craigslist.org for equipment for sale. New Year Resolution equipment will be posted soon.
  • I have had a Y membership for years. When I wasn't working it was easy to do. Now that I'm back to work the only time that I have to go is when everyone else has time. I hate the crowds...hate fighting for a bike in spin, hate waiting for a machine to open up. I figure between all the waiting and the time to get there and back I could be burning an extra few hundred calories. I'm going to terminate my membership today.

I love the outdoors and live in the country so walking is my favorite daily exercise. (I can't run due to a fused ankle). I also have a stationary bike...I'm in school so I can get some reading done while on that. I just need to be sure to put the book down now and then to get some more intense intevals in.

I also just started 30-day shred for variety.

I rock/ice climb too but I currently have a rotator cuff problem...which kept me from climbing resulting in a big wieght gain which is how I ended up here (MFP)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! I HATE PEOPLE!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yepppp lots of home made kinda stuff. A 45 lb sledge hammer I made. Slam in on to to giant tractor tire I got for free from a local tire shop. Afte I beat on it I flip it, up the hill the down the hill, ( small hill, bigggg tire, lol) then a 1.5 inch diameter rope that's 70 l.f. I use to pull a weight sled. I have weights but prefer using logs for squats and lunges. Forces the core to have to work and balance. For fun after it's all over I usually have a bonfire going. So I can run and jump over it.. lol........
  • raquelrivasmanso
    raquelrivasmanso Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do weights, and DVDs(pilates, walking) at home as well as use a stationary bike. Helps a ton because I have RA and at times it takes a lot to move.

I am enjoying doing it so much that I have budgeted enough to take pilates classes twice a month to assure that I am doing it all right.