Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I only work out at home, I don't like the gym options close to me, total meat markets.

I have an eliptical which helps and I run outside weather permitting. For DVDs I love anything Jillian Michaels, and Zumba. I'm interested in trying Ballet Body too but haven't yet.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership either so my working out is all at home until summertime when I can go on bike rides or walks outdoors. At home I have a bunch of weights, DVD's and a treadmill.

Weights I buy the individual plates and add them to my bars as needed. I have done P90X a few times so having the dumbbell bars that I can change the plates on has been very cost effective for me. You can buy a starter set at Walmart pretty cheaply or you can buy the bars for $5 each and then buy plates. Same with the bar bell if you use one. I try not to do anything that will get me killed if I don't have a spotter. ;)

DVD's I bought P90X and have used it several times so it was worth the money to me. My daughter also uses it so we've gotten our money's worth out of it. I also have TurboFire but I bought that off craigslist. I have several other DVD's that I use because I do like variety. I use my library or video rental store to try them out and if I find one I like I buy it. Craigslist, Half Price Books and garage sales are great places to pick up inexpensive used DVD's and equipment.

My first exercise bike (rode it to death!) and first treadmill were both from craigslist. The bike I got for free and the treadmill cost me $35. Friends gave me their old treadmill for free once I wore out the first one (Hey, it was $35 so it's not like I expected it to last forever!)

My husband installed a pull up bar for me in the garage and I have foam floor mats set up with a TV & DVD player. All my weights are right there and my treadmill is next to that. I also have a big exercise ball, yoga blocks, bands, etc. I made my own little gym in my tiny little garage in front of the washer and dryer. You do what you've gotta do! :)
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I live in the country, so all gyms are out of my way. I workout at home and I've had success. I have a pretty big library of workout DVD's, we have weights in the basement, and I live in a pretty area so I enjoy walking outdoors when the weather permits.

I tried joining the Y a few years ago, but the drive was too long and the traffic sucked, so I quit. I've found another gym about 20 minutes away and they let you pay as you go without signing a contract, so I'm contemplating trying it out again. But mostly I'm thinking of joining because my 16 year old daughter wants to join, and if I'm going to be driving her there I might as well workout too.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I have a treadmill, a pullup bar, a mat, and some weights (hex DB's, ankle weights, weight vest). Only really use the treadmill for warmup/cooldown or when its raining/too hot/cold to run outside. I do yoga DVD's occasionally, and strenght traing with bodyweight and loaded bodyweight exercises. Sometimes I run over to a nearby hill to run hill sprints, or over to a nearby school to use their outdoor pullup bars (can't do muscle-ups on a door way pullup bar, you'd smash your face on the wall above the door).

I'm totally gym free though. About the only use for a gym I'd have is to test how much I can do on the major barbell lifts from time to time.

I'd rather work out in a park than a gym. It has all the equipment I need, and its a better venue for doing cool things.
  • mindysoo
    mindysoo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home! I have found a ton of great workouts on youtube - bodyrock.tv, zuzana light, jillian michaels (the befit channel), fitness blender, blogilates (I download them onto my iPad for home) and then I have a few Jillian Michaels and Winsor Pilates DVDs. Doing the high intensity workouts at home has changed my body faster than spending 45 minutes a day on the treadmill at the gym! Plus I can look like an *kitten* in private! :)
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    At home only here. I have a REALLY hard time motivating myself to go into the living room and working out, so I can only imagine any gym membership I paid for would not be well spent. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred" and bought her "Ripped in 30" and "Yoga Meltdown" to try out. I also have a 3-Disc yoga set that I haven't really gotten into yet. I bought a double jogging stroller so that I can take my two year old and four year old with me (no babysitter is an issue), which I need to get back into since we're having some warm weather. My husband has an Olympic weight bench that I would like to start using with his help. He works so much and I just haven't gotten him to "show me the ropes" yet!
  • georgiegirl998
    Options
    I only work out at home. I work nights and there are no 24hr gyms where I live so I don't have too many options. I don't have tv so I don't do work out videos or Wii Fit and know I have no motivation to watch them and do the exercises any way.

I do however make a point of jogging on the spot or around the room for a minimum of 5 minutes every time I get up from my computer. I also do various exercises involving my flight of stairs. I don't have a lot of money to spend on exercise equipment but I do suggest having a set of small weights, resistance bands, a exercise ball, a good pair of running shoes and fast-paced music.

The more comfortable you feel while doing your exercises the more motivated you'll feel doing them.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I stay at home and do the 30 day shred. But I'm almost done with it, and it's my first time doing the 30 days. I don't know what Im going to do after it to be honest. I'm in WI and the weather is not compatible with outdoor exercise at ALL. I might use my campus' fitness room or get another Jillian DVD. I like that second idea better....

Anyways, I think that workout DVDs are underrated. You can get a serious workout in, in less time, for any fitness level you are at.
  • lhrowe
    lhrowe Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a Bowflex treadclimber but have it locked down and using it as a treadmill. Anyone know if the burned calorie counter on this unit is accurate when you lock it down? It seems that it shows the same if using as treadmill or the full function tread climber.
  • Ntoriousydc
    Ntoriousydc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I found I enjoy the mix these days, weights and clases at the gym and then a few mixed workout DVD's at home, usually Bill Banks but also the odd Yoga DVD, and sparing with my cat always keeps me fast, though not fast enough!!

i started Billy Blanks Calorie bootcamp or something on Monday, Im still aching now although I did some strength yesterday! how often would you recommend a beginner to exercise to do this per week? I know youre no expert but im guessing you know a lot more than me!
  • Ntoriousydc
    Ntoriousydc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't been inside a gym in 7 months and in that time I lost 26 lbs with 4 more to go.

I started by doing the Couch to 5K running program outside (last summer). After my 5K, I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred during August, and then her Ripped in 30 DVD during September. I got P90X and a BUNCH more Jillian DVDs (can you tell I love her?!) and I rotate them all right now (in addition to my 2 ballet classes per week). I make sure to use the heaviest hand weights that I can for each exercise so I continue to push myself. (I bought 3lb, 5lb, and 10lb dumbbells, a resistance band for working out while travelling, and a 12lb kettlebell.)

I will say that I'm going to start going to the gym soon though so I can lift heavier and reduce body fat % now that I'm pretty much at my goal weight. I can't afford my own heavy weight equipment. Boo.

how much did you lose while on the couch to 5k? I really wanna start it but its snowing around my area at the moment and its dark! also which one did you use I know theres an iphone one but i have no iphone!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I work out at home on the tread and occasionally Wii Fit. I used to have a gym membership, but I always seemed to catch whatever was going around, despite my wiping down of machines, so in the end it was a waste of money.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    I work out at home doing P90X and weights and treadmill...I love it. BRING IT!!!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv - lots of great stuff there - free
    Jillian Michaels DVDs - $10
    Running outside - free
    Pinterest - lots of great workout routines there - free

Hasn't stopped me from losing 29 lbs and the inches....WOW!
  • nanamary47
    nanamary47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do all my exercise at home. I have the Leslie Sansone Dvd's which I love. Mix it up with some weight's and stationary bike which is a old Airdyne ( the handles move so you get an arm workout). When I can ( when its not so darn cold) I love to walk outside. we live on a golf course with lots of hills. You will do just fine by doing your exercise at home. Its just having the dedication and wanting to get it it done. Good luck amd remember nothing feels as good as healthy looks!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hate, hate, hate the gym!! I only work out at home. I am doing the 30 day shred and the treadmill. Will probably add Wii Fit and some running soon.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of DVD's but lately have found some good youtube workouts (for free).

Tiffany Rothe for one has a bunch, I did 2mi walk the other day, and I've done 30DS
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just got done with shred, now doing zumba for wii with handweights. I am so sore. I have an HRM and in only a 20 minute class, I can burn 400 calories!!! My husband bought me insanity, but I'm scared of it. Going to do zumba for a while to get used to the high intensity cardio, then try it out.
  • annicins
    Options
    I am doing Insanity right now and I completed TurboFire before that. I only work out at home.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Hey there. I'm working out at home (somewhat). I bought a bike last weekend and been riding it. Plus I do Just Dance 4 on my wii. I also walk with Leslie Sansone on amazon instant streaming to my blu-ray. I was walking my neighborhood but the uneven roads are hard on my left hip for some reason. But I don't feel it when just walking in my living room. I can afford the gym, just not ready for people to look/stare/comment, plus I'm an introvert so it really gets my anxiety going.