Observations on Body Shaming

Options

Replies

• Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, Patti. You are a class act.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-6365-1355938751-11.gif
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

Not really. Not unless they ask for all opinions. If it is a post in the Success Stories and they are just sharing their happiness and pride, it is not unreasonable to expect courteous responses. As Brett said, you would not go to a new lawyer's graduation party announcing that lawyers suck. But if you do, you are telling far more about the sort of person YOU are.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I agree. But let's not generalize.
    I think we all agree that, in the confines of a loving and consensual relationship, body shaming can be a perfectly appropriate tool for a top to assist a bottom in entering their subspace.

I agree with the OP, and with the above... though clearly that was not what was going on in the threads yesterday. :wink:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't comment in either of those threads yesterday. It was awful. Love this thread though!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!! So true!

I don't get why people are so jealous of others all the time... It's just not worth the time or energy spent on it.

I don't think it is always jealously. I don't know why but a good number of people seem to take genuine offense at others not wanting the same things as them, whether it be a "look", exercise routine, diet or other.

Point taken... but it sometimes seems like it's jealousy.... in any regard, I don't understand why to get feathers in a ruffle because someone does something differently... or looks differently... we are all individuals... just like the thread from yesterday about the woman who lifts heavy and has really defined muscles.... While it's not my ideal, I think it's great that she achieved hers... and while I don't want to look like that... I thought she looked gorgeous... All the negativity, regardless of where it stems from, is just a waste of time and energy.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    I could really care less about your tan, make up, hair, weight ,stretch marks or your face, age or race. If someone weighed 700 pounds and lost 200 pounds and posted pictures... I'm impressed. PERIOD. I'm here to inspire and be inspired, by anyone who's put in work. Kick rocks to all the haters.

This. Anyone that has successfully lost weight is awesome because it's not easy. Sometimes it sucks and the ones that keep pushing through are the best success stories, no matter what their body composition.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    #7 - instead of commenting or arguing with someone that is annoying use the ignore feature. IT.IS.AWESOME!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Those threads were pretty bad yesterday. I guess I have a hard time understanding how someone can't appreciate the effort and beauty in the success of others, even if that isn't the type of success they want for themselves.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    can we add 7: don't assume sluttery just b/c someone takes bikini or workout pics.

didn't happen in the two big ones yesterday, but i am seeing a LOT of that lately and it's really getting my ginger up.

I agree with this too..... I am hoping for the day when I can post a pic in a swimsuit or shorts and a sports bra...
    I am too and I say do one now to compare to :bigsmile:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    The only body I shame is my own.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is always jealously. I don't know why but a good number of people seem to take genuine offense at others not wanting the same things as them, whether it be a "look", exercise routine, diet or other.

Here's an example. I think my friend puffyheart is gorgeous. I think she's done an awesome job achieving the goals she set for herself. I'm not jealous at all. I'm genuinely happy for her success. BUT....I don't have the same goals. I don't want to spend hours in the gym that it would take for me to look like that. So, while I can admire her and think she looks amazing, I can still say that I don't want to put in the work to look like that. That does not make me jealous. It makes me different.

Having said all that, I would never comment on a pic of hers saying, "I don't want to look like that". There's the difference.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

And yes, all my usual snark aside, body shaming is against the rules.

I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

The hypocrisy is what really p!sses me off.
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options

Unfortunately what you say is true, but that is sad on those individuals that are commenting either negatively or indifferent as this is SUPPOSED to be a positive reinforcement site. The goal is to help everyone, no matter their size, skin colour, beliefs or their goals. It is too bad that no matter the good intent of websites like this that some people have to show the negative human nature.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Not really. Not unless they ask for all opinions. If it is a post in the Success Stories and they are just sharing their happiness and pride, it is not unreasonable to expect courteous responses. As Brett said, you would not go to a new lawyer's graduation party announcing that lawyers suck. But if you do, you are telling far more about the sort of person YOU are.

I was coming here to saying something similar, but parys pretty much nailed it, so I'll just quote it for truth.

And Patti, well done.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

And yes, all my usual snark aside, body shaming is against the rules.

I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

The hypocrisy is what really p!sses me off.

Okay... that chick was damn near naked which violates forum rules. I didn't see all those comments, but I suspect that they weren't necessarily referring to her body.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well said.,
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Do you do feel the need to give your opinion when not asked in other aspects of your life? Do you go through the classified ads and say, "I see you're selling a Ford Explorer, but I don't like Fords and will only buy a Chevy?"

If someone asks my opinion, I'll give it. If someone asks, "Which of these haircuts would look best on me?" I'll offer suggestions. But I'm not going to go through random pictures and tell people, "You'd look better if you got a new hair style."
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There was lots of *****iness in both the threads yesterday..methinks its mainly jealously..but haters are always gonna hate.

Me? I applauded ANYONE who works out HARD and reap the benefits, makes me wish I could be that dedicated but I couldn't eat as clean as that, I like my treats too much.

Kudos to those who have the dedication..you deserve the body that you are creating.

I'll stop talking ****e now.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Yeah I don't even read those threads. The titles tell me enough.