Observations on Body Shaming

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    can we add 7: don't assume sluttery just b/c someone takes bikini or workout pics.

didn't happen in the two big ones yesterday, but i am seeing a LOT of that lately and it's really getting my ginger up.

agreed!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Win...and I'm glad I missed the kerfuffle.

I'm excited to see the word "kerfuffle."

And I'm excited I got the chance to use the word "kerfuffle". Sounds like a dessert.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I loved this post!

The only thing I would add is that I've seen a lot of body shaming for people with eating disorders on here. And while it is unhealthy and painful to look at bodies that are fairly emaciated, it is never anyone's right to pass judgement. Pro-anas can be frustrating to deal with, as eating disorders are complicated things and people will stubbornly stick to self-destructive patterns, but body shaming never helps.

Sorry if that's a little off topic.

OP, you are lovely. :flowerforyou:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    6. Pregosaurusrex really is pregnant. I checked.

How many centimeters dilated is she?

Is it a boy or a girl?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9xtoqiuJe1ql5yr7o1_400.gif
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    How come no one has come here yet to tell you they don't like muscles on women? :)
    Options
    I don't think it is always jealously. I don't know why but a good number of people seem to take genuine offense at others not wanting the same things as them, whether it be a "look", exercise routine, diet or other.

Here's an example. I think my friend puffyheart is gorgeous. I think she's done an awesome job achieving the goals she set for herself. I'm not jealous at all. I'm genuinely happy for her success. BUT....I don't have the same goals. I don't want to spend hours in the gym that it would take for me to look like that. So, while I can admire her and think she looks amazing, I can still say that I don't want to put in the work to look like that. That does not make me jealous. It makes me different.

Having said all that, I would never comment on a pic of hers saying, "I don't want to look like that". There's the difference.

A) Thank you very much! B) Please do not give the misconception that I spend HOURS in the gym. I do not. I work a full time job and have a ton of responsibilities like anyone else. I spend MAX an hour and a half at the gym 5-6 days a week ONLY during competition prep time. Otherwise, an hour MAX 3-4 days a week. But, I totally get where you are coming from and appreciate that you take the approach you take, rather than some we've seen. Puffy hugs!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

The hypocrisy is what really p!sses me off.

If we're thinking about the same thread, it's because the OP was subjecting everyone to her exhibitionism under the guise of progress pics.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I loved this post!

The only thing I would add is that I've seen a lot of body shaming for people with eating disorders on here. And while it is unhealthy and painful to look at bodies that are fairly emaciated, it is never anyone's right to pass judgement. Pro-anas can be frustrating to deal with, as eating disorders are complicated things and people will stubbornly stick to self-destructive patterns, but body shaming never helps.

Sorry if that's a little off topic.

OP, you are lovely. :flowerforyou:

I'll admit that I'm a bit guilty of this. But I have attempted to correct myself. You're right. People struggling with an eating-disorder definitely do not deserve additional pain or guilt.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    B) Please do not give the misconception that I spend HOURS in the gym. I do not. I work a full time job and have a ton of responsibilities like anyone else. I spend MAX an hour and a half at the gym 5-6 days a week ONLY during competition prep time. Otherwise, an hour MAX 3-4 days a week. But, I totally get where you are coming from and appreciate that you take the approach you take, rather than some we've seen. Puffy hugs!!!

I believe that...I know how busy you are! What I meant was it would take ME hours a day to look like you! Haha
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Then I'd like to add #8: We can all be awesome. All of us. At the same time.

Try it! It's FUN!
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    can we add 7: don't assume sluttery just b/c someone takes bikini or workout pics.

didn't happen in the two big ones yesterday, but i am seeing a LOT of that lately and it's really getting my ginger up.

Damn straight, I worked hard for my body and if I wanna wear a bikini then I should be able to!

seriously though... What ever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, then shut the front door"?
    Options
    B) Please do not give the misconception that I spend HOURS in the gym. I do not. I work a full time job and have a ton of responsibilities like anyone else. I spend MAX an hour and a half at the gym 5-6 days a week ONLY during competition prep time. Otherwise, an hour MAX 3-4 days a week. But, I totally get where you are coming from and appreciate that you take the approach you take, rather than some we've seen. Puffy hugs!!!

I believe that...I know how busy you are! What I meant was it would take ME hours a day to look like you! Haha

You are such a sweetheart! I just didn't want people who didn't know me to think I do. I do not have time for hours in the gym. I prefer to take care of it with MOSTLY clean food, lmfao!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

And yes, all my usual snark aside, body shaming is against the rules.

This. If someone else who is still on their "journey" (*twitch*) posts their progress pictures everyone comes out in full support "oooooohhhh, you look great, awesome job, fine work, amazing progress" not "yeah that's great and all, but I can still see your cellulite, blah, blah, blah." It's a sickening double standard on here that people feel some compulsion to shame the ideals of others when those aspirations are just within reach just to make ourselves feel better. How often do we read posts about the lack of support the OP is receiving irl from their close family memebers and friends who start insulting them more and more the closer they get to their goal and the advice 75% of the time is "they're just jealous, your progress makes them feel bad because they don't want to have to put in the effort to get there, or your progress is proof that it can be done and it's easier for them to live in denial by taking out their frustrations on you." So yes, while a person who has come pretty close to reaching their goals should expect some responses and understand that their ideal isn't everyone's, why should the expect less respect than someone who is still striving to get to the end. Anyone who has reached their goal at least once knows that it's just as hard work and takes just as much dedication and self control to maintain it as it does to sculpt it. Since when has "well, someone put that picture out there" been an acceptable excuse for ugly behavior?

There is a way to say something respectfully while still getting your point across. Some of us want to be leaner, some whant to have a higher percentage of bodyfat, we all want to be the best "us" that we can imagine. As long as it's healthy, I don't see why a person's ideal should be so controversial or a thing to be insulting about. It's not the disagreement of ideals, it's the disrespect that gets people up at arms.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

When someone is down 50 pounds and has another 50 to go, people are all kind of supportive. The problem is how rough the comments are on pics of people who really have achieved their goals and have reached envy-enducing figures. That of course is the problem IMO, envy.

I wish everyone was supportive for progress posts but as I mentioned yesterday, there were a TON of people defending the very fit girl and accusing others of body shaming. A post a week or so ago came up with a girl who lad lost 30lbs or so and she posted pics of herself fin her underwear. She still had a ways to go but by now means was wearing plus sized clothes. I saw many people who cried 'body shaming' yesterday making comments on that girls post such as, "that was scary", "it was not pretty" or "I am scarred by her underwear pics".

If you're addressing the thread I think you are, it was an exception and yes she was barely wearing any clothes with the "oh snap" attitude like she had conquered world hunger. Clueless arrogance isn't attractive either
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this one and make no apologies for it. I did it to try to teach people a simple lesson about manners. If you feel that just because it's the internet you have the right to absolutely trash the way someone looks, don't get upset if it's done back to you.

I don't agree with that approach, though. Calling someone fat because you don't like the comment they made about someone else's body makes you just as bad as them. They won't see it as you teaching them manners. Body shaming is body shaming. Doesn't matter who does it first.

You know I'm no saint, Patti. I don't mind acting like a jerk sometimes if it helps out someone else, or is the right thing to do.

Taking the high road and just ignoring people who say such nasty things (online anyway) only allows them to continue to run their mouths. I'd rather they fight with me than someone else.

And I know the "official" policy on such things around here. Don't do anything, report to moderators.

Well the moderators didn't care to take any action on it. It went on for hours. I guess since no one posted a funny gif they didn't see a problem.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

If you're addressing the thread I think you are, it was an exception and yes she was barely wearing any clothes with the "oh snap" attitude like she had conquered world hunger. Clueless arrogance isn't attractive either

It was her choice of underwear that "scared" people not her level of body fat.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    People making fun of my size growing up (you try being half Samoan in a conservative Japanese neighborhood) is the reason I learned to fight early on, so it's not all bad!

But yeah, agreed with the don't be a d*ck to others points.