Ladies: Shut up and Listen

Options
Since I've been seeing so many WOMEN complain that they don't want to lift weights or do any strength training because they're not trying to get ripped or bulk up or they just don't like to, please consider something:
You won't always be young - you will age and you will become elderly and there are other factors besides weight loss to think about in regards to exercise and more specifically strength training.

Maintaining muscle mass as we age should be an important part of a healthy lifestyle as it contributes to skeletal strength and helps prevent injury. People with weak muscles are less able to maintain good posture, keep their balance, or live independently. As a result, diminished muscle mass makes you more prone to falls, breathing problems, and psychological problems such as depression.

You don't have to go get a gym membership and start lifting heavy weights. I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I have hand weights. I incorporate strength training dvds into my routine.

There is NO WAY I'd be able to easily carry my 50lbs daughter, my purse, and her backpack from the car, THROUGH THE SNOW and to our entry way if I didn't do push ups, shoulder presses, bicep curls, lat raises, etc etc

There are soooo many reasons to incorporate strength training

And specifically to the newer members throwing temper tantrums like rebellious teenagers: These veteran MFP users are telling you this stuff because they've been there, done that and if you'd shut up and listen, their advice would save you a lot of time and tears.

Replies

• droppinpounds130
    Options
    Well said, Thank you!
  • Focusing_on_Liz
    Options
    Well said honey!!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You win the prize for BEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!

Cheers!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking as a veteran btw haha I'm speaking from one of those that didn't listen at first

just follow the guidelines, add people who know what they're doing because they've already been where you're at, and yes goals are fantastic, make goals but be FLEXIBLE with them.

A Master Piece takes time, dedication, patience, and a lot love

Take your time, be forgiving and learn to love yourself
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A good example is my 78 year old mother who is now in the hospital with a broken hip. She started developing osteoporosis at about 50 and her doctor told her that her lean muscle mass was pathetic. She was told to start doing weight bearing exercise and to build up some muscle. Never happened, every excuse you can think of. By 70 it was really noticeable how weak she had become with no strength at all and shuffling along. 2 weeks ago she fell just trying to walk up a short flight of stairs. Rehab is going to be rough because she has no muscle to support herself.

It's never too early or too late to start working on strength. Women don't bulk up easily and we all need muscle!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the excellent OP, regular strength training has also been shown to improve bone density (not just the muscles supporting the body). It's good stuff!
    A good example is my 78 year old mother who is now in the hospital with a broken hip. She started developing osteoporosis at about 50 and her doctor told her that her lean muscle mass was pathetic. She was told to start doing weight bearing exercise and to build up some muscle. Never happened, every excuse you can think of. By 70 it was really noticeable how weak she had become with no strength at all and shuffling along. 2 weeks ago she fell just trying to walk up a short flight of stairs. Rehab is going to be rough because she has no muscle to support herself.

My grandmother's friend is suffering through the same problems because she's so frail and never did any load-bearing exercises as part of her daily routine or in any other way. She wouldn't even carry her groceries to and from the car.

She's in her mid-70's now and going through horrific rehab to try to build up her strength just so she can walk again (no broken bones either, just weakness).
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options

It's never too early or too late to start working on strength. Women don't bulk up easily and we all need muscle!

I'm sorry to hear she broke her, hip but yes, that is a good example.

My grandmother use to be 5'7"....she's now 5'3"

All the women in my family have horrible health and joke that someday that'll be me too....no, no I don't think so. I refuse to go down that path
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker:
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Just to add to the excellent OP, regular strength training has also been shown to improve bone density (not just the muscles supporting the body). It's good stuff!

Exactly!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this from sensible people like you that made me decide that strength training is a good idea. :happy:

I go to a full body weight lifting class twice a week so that all I really have to do is show up, follow directions, watch my form and occasionally increase my weights, and I should be able to retain muscle as I lose fat, and hopefully eventually build strength and muscle mass when I reach that magical maintenance land.

I used to think that thin was all I wanted . . . now I want to be STRONG :smile: -- and I finally believe that it is possible.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Awesome post from and awesome MFP friend :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I wished more people would see the benefits from lifting weights and have the bigger picture in mind.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Three cheers!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Thank you for posting this!:bigsmile:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    heeeeels yeah!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Most fantastic and YES!
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    It's posts like this from sensible people like you that made me decide that strength training is a good idea. :happy:

I go to a full body weight lifting class twice a week so that all I really have to do is show up, follow directions, watch my form and occasionally increase my weights, and I should be able to retain muscle as I lose fat, and hopefully eventually build strength and muscle mass when I reach that magical maintenance land.

I used to think that thin was all I wanted . . . now I want to be STRONG :smile: -- and I finally believe that it is possible.

I realize some members come off harsh or crude, heck I'm friends with some of them actually haha but they do mean well, I swear you they do mean well ;)

That's fantastic and I wish you all the best
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wish someone could have mentioned this to my mother about 10 years ago. Now, she's 58 and having a knee replacement next month and showing signs of osteoperosis and muscle atrophy around the bad knee. She's on weight watchers and a gazillion supplements, when what she really needed was weight lifting a decade ago.

Of course, she thinks I'm sort of fitness fanatic and that whatever advice I have only applies to crazy fitness people and not to 'regular' women, so she can't even hear what I'm saying. /sigh.
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well put and very true. Some people don't understand the importance or fear the "bulk" effect, but even body builders have TROUBLE building huge muscles, so if you're not lifting like insane and working out to bulk up, you won't. But strength is VERY important and no one should shun it.
This discussion has been closed.