Ladies: Shut up and Listen

Options

Replies

• SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I used to think that thin was all I wanted . . . now I want to be STRONG :smile: -- and I finally believe that it is possible.

Same here! :drinker:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I just joined this site to lose my baby weight.....then I started noticing all the women with super hot bodies, seemed they all lifted weights...

So I thought I'd give it a go and to my surprise I ENJOY it and I am amazed how much difference it has made to my body in a much shorter time than all the cardio in the world would ever have done!

I used to suffer from terrible lower back pain....not anymore!

Try it, what have you got to lose?
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree...and I was also one of those women that did not want to either. Now that I am starting to, I love it!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Since I've been seeing so many WOMEN complain that they don't want to lift weights or do any strength training because they're not trying to get ripped or bulk up or they just don't like to, please consider something:
    You won't always be young - you will age and you will become elderly and there are other factors besides weight loss to think about in regards to exercise and more specifically strength training.

Maintaining muscle mass as we age should be an important part of a healthy lifestyle as it contributes to skeletal strength and helps prevent injury. People with weak muscles are less able to maintain good posture, keep their balance, or live independently. As a result, diminished muscle mass makes you more prone to falls, breathing problems, and psychological problems such as depression.

You don't have to go get a gym membership and start lifting heavy weights. I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I have hand weights. I incorporate strength training dvds into my routine.

There is NO WAY I'd be able to easily carry my 50lbs daughter, my purse, and her backpack from the car, THROUGH THE SNOW and to our entry way if I didn't do push ups, shoulder presses, bicep curls, lat raises, etc etc

There are soooo many reasons to incorporate strength training

And specifically to the newer members throwing temper tantrums like rebellious teenagers: These veteran MFP users are telling you this stuff because they've been there, done that and if you'd shut up and listen, their advice would save you a lot of time and tears.
    Yes_zps995defdf.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! That's why I lift weights...because we don't stay young forever (weights helps us not grow old too soon).
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm off to move heavy things! :happy:
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    *nod*
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Amen sister.

my biggest results that I love have come along with lifting.
  • Mrsjay27
    Options
    So true I couldn't agree more!!! Work dem muscles folks!!
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Awesome post OP!!! Women cannot gain bulk because we lack the necessary testosterone and eating at a deficit. I am just 5" tall but I lift heavy (by my standards) and so far have lost inches and feel much better with and w/o my clothes:blushing:

Again....good post OP!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I only wish that I had muscles already :) Either way I will get there and I'm still losing fat while gaining muscle so it's a win win. My bones will be healthier for it!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes yes yes. Thank you!!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    But...but...I just want to be skinny!

Nah I'm just playing. I killed my dead-lifts today.
  • Lollypopems
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

It took my ex-boyfriend to get me into lifting cuz I thought the same way, I'm going to get big N bulky....now I know way better and throw those heavy weights around =)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Best post I have seen all day! Thank you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Well said! I have mild Cerebral Palsy, and my doctors warned me early in life that if I didn't stay active and STRONG, I was going to be unable to tend to myself by the time I'm 55-60. I saw a doctor a few years ago and he told me that as active as I am, there's a chance I'll stay out of a wheelchair and be self-sufficient my whole life! I always make sure I'm doing pushups and horse stances (it's a karate thing - great for the thighs!) just so I have that chance. :)
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Always a good idea to be strong, toned & take steps to prevent osteoporosis! :)
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well said! I am a cardio junky and I totally obsess over "calories burned" rather than focusing on any sort of strength training.

Thanks for the kick in the pants!
This discussion has been closed.