Ladies: Shut up and Listen

Options

Replies

• wheniwas20
    wheniwas20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read "Strong Women, Strong Bones" by Miriam Nelson? I was given it from a friend but haven't read it properly yet. From the gist of it, it talks about strength and the positive effects on bones etc.

Because of this post I'll pick it up again and have proper read.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I am helping take care of my 83 year old grandmother. She has dementia and osteoporosis, and it is a constant struggle to get her to eat enough calories and drink enough water to stay hydrated. She can walk, but she's usually too weak to do so safely. She ate like crap and never exercised for the majority of her life, and a lot of her issues now come from the unhealthy lifestyle she lived.

Seeing what COULD be my future is a huge motivator in taking care of myself now, and becoming the strongest I can be.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Shut up is such a rude thing to say to people that I can't read your post.

You also said you couldn't look at the lady with big hips. Kinda rude.

You also posted this in the thread about body shaming:
    I understand what you're saying, but when somebody throws pictures out there, they should expect comments that run the gamut from good, bad, and indifferent.

I think the title here calling for attention is far less rude than your above remarks.

OP- Thank you for this. I'm 45 and know I need to be lifting.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to see who was going to shut up.

Reminds me of my husband's favorite joke.... "two women were sitting quietly". Har har.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine for a second how anyone could be offended by the OP - she's talking a lot of a sense and I can only think there's a bit of trolling going on.

So, for those of us who are fairly new to lifting weights, does anyone have any advice? (apart from the obvious - pick something heavy up then put it down!)

I started doing this at home (not a gym member) but any other links would be greatly appreciated :)http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Shut the f.......................................

....ront door.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    OP - You're beautiful. :drinker:

Anyone who was offended by this...well, I'm baffled how anyone could be.

Exactly. On both accounts.

I would have loved to have lived such charmed and privileged life that the words "shut up and listen" would offend me.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Praises be to your deity of choice! Theres sense out there SOMEWHERE!!! :drinker:

*Edited for typo
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    This is great advice and as someone who has never done any weight lifting I didn't take offence at all, I'll happily take instruction from someone as I'm learning all about all of this. I want all the information I can get as I want to do this properly and do it for good, not be back here in a year with the weight back on. I do want to start lifting and I want to start asap, I think I'm a bit intimidated by it all as I have absolutely NO idea where to start. Don't know what weight to lift, how to lift, how much to do etc etc. If anyone has any advice or links or anything at all it would be very gratefully received! I tried googling but there was so much there and some of it conflicting that it confused me more lol. I didn't know what was right or wrong. Any help would be much appreciated :)
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Shut up is such a rude thing to say to people that I can't read your post.

I agree...tact goes a LONG way...and self-serving, haughty, holier-than-thou, narcissistic attitudes aren't exactly inspiring or motivational.

It's like: Here's...an...award? *pins it on OP*

Nothing against women and weight lifting, but definitely disgusted by condescending attitudes. Turn off! Anyway, peace. ;)

There is nothing remotely condescending, haughty, holier-than-thou or narcissistic in OPs comments. What she stated is a fact, which BTW some of us ( for example me) have learned the hard way! I wish someone had told me 6 or 7 years back to "Shut-up and Listen!!!!" We are all hear to support each other and more importantly learn from others experiences and then yes adapt a plan for ourselves. However, some fundamental rules apply to all ( exception being health , injury etc.). Please don't take advise as a put-down because it is not!! Peace:flowerforyou:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read "Strong Women, Strong Bones" by Miriam Nelson? I was given it from a friend but haven't read it properly yet. From the gist of it, it talks about strength and the positive effects on bones etc.

Because of this post I'll pick it up again and have proper read.

I think she has another book called Strong Women Stay Young. My mother got it for me, but I never read it. I lift weights for the high.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree...tact goes a LONG way...and self-serving, haughty, holier-than-thou, narcissistic attitudes aren't exactly inspiring or motivational.

Are you okay? The topic title: "Ladies: Shut up and Listen" was made to get people's attention. If you were soooooo offended by the title, why did you come in here? Just to call someone a "self-serving, haughty, holier-than-thou, narcissist?
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the excellent OP, regular strength training has also been shown to improve bone density (not just the muscles supporting the body). It's good stuff!

Exactly!

I'll add to this - looking at my dying mother in her hospital bed I was shocked (and it is branded in my brain - and I mean BRANDED) at how wasted her muscles were and how much mobility she had lost...I don't ever want to be there. I don't ever want to know that my bones are like a birds and almost hollow. It broke my heart to be able to lift her up like a piece of drift wood. That is why when I hear the 'I don't want to bulk up thing' I feel actual pain thinking about what is in store.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It is also good for your bones. Well said!
  • UKMarjie
    Options

Are you okay? The topic title: "Ladies: Shut up and Listen" was made to get people's attention. If you were soooooo offended by the title, why did you come in here? Just to call someone a "self-serving, haughty, holier-than-thou, narcissist?

OK...this is like a health warning and taking it as an optional piece of advice and having your special snowflake feelings hurt is besides the point! It is the truth and it is helpful to repeat it as many times as possible. Women should be lifting weights - not body building - but doing some kind of load bearing exercise so that they don't get hollow bones in later life...
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    Great post! I finally listened, dropped most of my cardio and started lifting 3 times a week. Can't wait to see the changes that will be happening in my body this year.

I do a lot of strength - run for my cardio - and it helps with your balance now - and posture. I also find that my body is sculpted more - so like floor work for core strength plus weights. I highly recommend two things: planks (they are a b*stard but soooo good) and pull ups/chin ups (I do assisted weight ones) <they build strength and confidence - you get off your bars and feel like a super hero because you ahve done something most of the people in the gym (including the boys in the WL area) haven't or don't. I like squats with the bar too (it is 45lbs) and sufficient to get a good lift on to start working on your posture for most of your lifting needs.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "Shut up and Listen" did it's job in getting your attention. Now take it as good advice and whine and complain your @$$ to the gym.

sheeesh!
  • UKMarjie
    Options
    "Shut up and Listen" did it's job in getting your attention. Now take it as good advice and whine and complain your @$$ to the gym.

sheeesh!

LOL
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Haha wow, I've learned things about my personality I didn't even know I had & anyone who interacts with me on a regular basis knows better as do I.
    The title, was to catch your attention
    To the many defenders, Thank you
    Apparently my whole post wasn't read by all

If you don't want to lift heavy then fine... There is medical proof that strength training is highly beneficial. Body weight training even (think yoga, push ups, squats, lunges, pull ups, etc)

Now I can't deliver this message in person or via video but imagine sitting with your close girlfriend over coffee and she genuinely cares for you and a situation in your life, a sensitive issue. Picture the concern & care in her eyes, warmth in her voice but a firm warmth. That's how I'd deliver this message.

I don't post on a whim & I don't believe in knocking people down.
    I'm actually quite humble and blush when complimented
    I don't fit the insults that have been posted & I know that.

I'm sorry some feel that way but it seems pretty hypocritical being rude & insulting me for being rude (pot / kettle)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I just joined this site to lose my baby weight.....then I started noticing all the women with super hot bodies, seemed they all lifted weights...

So I thought I'd give it a go and to my surprise I ENJOY it and I am amazed how much difference it has made to my body in a much shorter time than all the cardio in the world would ever have done!

I used to suffer from terrible lower back pain....not anymore!

Try it, what have you got to lose?

Me, too. After having six babies, I learned to like my body again...weights made an amazing difference.
    And then I was so hot, I got pregnant again. :bigsmile: I continued with weight training well into my third trimester, this was my easiest pregnancy, and recovery has been lightening quick. Coincidence? I think not.

To the OP-- :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.