Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Gimme a break. If a parent needs to bring their kids into a locker room- why do you even care? Get a clue.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything about sexualizing children. My point was that I don't think parents should assume their 4 year old kids can handle seeing naked adults by putting them in that situation. That's all...I'm still wondering why that's such a controversial opinion...

Kids will take their cues from the adults around them.

If you are sincerely relaxed about a situation, they will follow your lead. Parents shouldn't assume their 4 year old kids CAN'T handle seeing naked people. 4 year olds are often naked a lot around people who are clothed anyway so why shouldn't they be able to handle it when it is the other way around.

Being prudish about something we all are under our clothes is just silly.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    My dad used to take me into the men's locker room at the YMCA when I took swimming lessons. The story goes that I noticed a man with a long ponytail (it was the '70s) and said loudly "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!"

At the Fitness Center where I work, children under 5 must be with their parent in the adult locker room, children over 5 must go to the children's locker rooms. Except for children with special needs.

I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.

^This. People in other cultures walk around completely (or sometimes almost completely) naked and no one has any problem with it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of the replies. But that is child abuse. Think about it. If a man exposed himself to a four year old we would have him thrown in jail.

QFT

Child abuse? Really? There are many cultures in which being naked is acceptable.

As for the scenerio of someone exposing them self to a child, that is completely different context. The motivation behind that is sexual and is often a precursor to other behaviour.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all of the replies. But that is child abuse. Think about it. If a man exposed himself to a four year old we would have him thrown in jail.

QFT

Child abuse? Really? There are many cultures in which being naked is acceptable.

As for the scenerio of someone exposing them self to a child, that is completely different context. The motivation behind that is sexual and is often a precursor to other behaviour.
    ^This.

I don't know how a lot of you would have functioned in bilbical times.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Three words:family locker room. It's no brainer for most of us, and it makes the people without kids more comfortable.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything about sexualizing children. My point was that I don't think parents should assume their 4 year old kids can handle seeing naked adults by putting them in that situation. That's all...I'm still wondering why that's such a controversial opinion...

Frankly, I'm wondering why you find my position so controversial that you thought it necessary to warn people like me. You quoted a statement above about kids developing a sexual identity. That creeped me out if you are in fact relating that to a 4 year old.

Ok, I'm done. Your accusations aren't making any sense & now you're arguing about a post that's not mine (I just quoted it to show that I agree with the part about making assumptions). I guess people can't voice (er, type) their opinions around here!

You can voice your opinion, just don't get upset when someone disagrees with it or "singles you out".

I really don't mind when people disagree with me...normally I enjoy this type of discussion, but your post about staying away from your kids was insulting and unwarranted.

You presuming to tell me and others that we should be worried about the way we raise our kids wasn't a problem though? I thought you were done with this thread? Back to get in one more?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

QFT

^This.

I don't know how a lot of you would have functioned in bilbical times.

I don't think there were locker rooms in biblical times, but it would be wrong for a caveman to take his daughter by the men's tree area.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Way to over-react. A little girl going into a men's locker room with her father is in NO WAY equal to some man walking up to a child and whipping out his genitals.......
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The original post has nothing in there about a family locker room, and if there is no family locker room, he has no other option. Why do men have to parade around naked in the locker room? Be discreet with your junk. Some gay guy might be checking you out if you aren't. I am sick of health clubs throwing roadblocks in parent's way. As a parent of young child, it is hard enough to get motivated to go exercise, and then when you get to the club with your kid they make sure to treat you like a second rate member.

you just had to bring up gay guys in this forum :frown:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

QFT

Also - people also get arrested for exposing themselves to adults as well. We don't arrest those walking naked in a locker room when only adults are present.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Do you have any idea how far-reaching you are with this?? What part of your ignorant mind went from "Men's bodies, changing in a locker room" to "Male predators exposing themselves in a threatening way"

This is what's wrong with America, y'all - everyone thinks mens' bodies are automatically disgusting things that want to rape everything in sight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The original post has nothing in there about a family locker room, and if there is no family locker room, he has no other option. Why do men have to parade around naked in the locker room? Be discreet with your junk. Some gay guy might be checking you out if you aren't. I am sick of health clubs throwing roadblocks in parent's way. As a parent of young child, it is hard enough to get motivated to go exercise, and then when you get to the club with your kid they make sure to treat you like a second rate member.

If a lesbian were checking me out in the locker room, I'd be flattered.
  • JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    He might be a single dad, that doesn't know where the family locker rooms are. Maybe the next time you see him you could show him where they are.
  • bethbegood
    Options
    really inaproptiate. report him to the gym, they should address it. Leagally, the men in the locker room could be charged with indency with a child. most gyms offer child care, if yours doesen't he needs to fina another place to work out.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for dinner tonight. I haven't been doing too well for the last couple of weeks, I hope I can get back on track soon.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Do you have any idea how far-reaching you are with this?? What part of your ignorant mind went from "Men's bodies, changing in a locker room" to "Male predators exposing themselves in a threatening way"

This is what's wrong with America, y'all - everyone thinks mens' bodies are automatically disgusting things that want to rape everything in sight.

^^ This is exactly why these comments and the people posting them are creeping me out.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I take my kids, age 5&6, into the Womens locker room with me when I go top the gym. Its much better than leaving them alone while I go in. I have a boy and a girl. Also, my kids see both of their parents naked regularly. Not in a sexual way but in a "we don't hide the human body" sort of way. They know we have different parts, use the correct names for them, know when it is appropriate to be naked and when it is not. They have no problem with any of it. It is grown adults like you who are behaving ridiculously by making others uncomfortable. Would I love it if my husband took my 6 year old daughter into a mends locker room, probably not. But only because I know there are people like you who would make a big deal about it. She is perfectly capable of sitting and talking with daddy until its time to go, she likely wouldn't notice you or what parts you have where. Same as my son in the Womens locker room.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for dinner tonight. I haven't been doing too well for the last couple of weeks, I hope I can get back on track soon.

Perfect timing! :laugh:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    After about age 3, children do maintain memories into adulthood. I agree that this is totally inappropriate and if it does continue, I would address it with the gym staff.