Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• flarge
    flarge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything about sexualizing children. My point was that I don't think parents should assume their 4 year old kids can handle seeing naked adults by putting them in that situation. That's all...I'm still wondering why that's such a controversial opinion...

Frankly, I'm wondering why you find my position so controversial that you thought it necessary to warn people like me. You quoted a statement above about kids developing a sexual identity. That creeped me out if you are in fact relating that to a 4 year old.

Ok, I'm done. Your accusations aren't making any sense & now you're arguing about a post that's not mine (I just quoted it to show that I agree with the part about making assumptions). I guess people can't voice (er, type) their opinions around here!

You can voice your opinion, just don't get upset when someone disagrees with it or "singles you out".

I really don't mind when people disagree with me...normally I enjoy this type of discussion, but your post about staying away from your kids was insulting and unwarranted.

You presuming to tell me and others that we should be worried about the way we raise our kids wasn't a problem though? I thought you were done with this thread? Back to get in one more?

Yep, just like you said you were!! I'll give you the last word--you earned it! ;)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Sorry, why is this inappropriate (other than the family room thing)? What the hell happens in the locker rooms? I assume people are mostly civilized.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sorry, why is this inappropriate (other than the family room thing)? What the hell happens in the locker rooms? I assume people are mostly civilized.

These people must think that the men's locker room is one big orgy......or that the men in there "sword fight" or something......I've never been in one myself, but I assume that it's just men either getting dressed, undressed, drying off or getting into the shower.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Its not like the men in the locker room are doing inappropriate things. They are changing/showering. Im sure that little girl has seen her dad naked.?.so why would she even think different of another man. Its the human body. At my gym a parent brings a 4 year old boy in... i think nothing of it. Shoot any parent/nanny knows u cant pee without a little one busting in asking for a snack or telling a story. It doesnt have to be made into a big deal. Once it has been made into a big deal, kids respond as a big deal.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything about sexualizing children. My point was that I don't think parents should assume their 4 year old kids can handle seeing naked adults by putting them in that situation. That's all...I'm still wondering why that's such a controversial opinion...

Frankly, I'm wondering why you find my position so controversial that you thought it necessary to warn people like me. You quoted a statement above about kids developing a sexual identity. That creeped me out if you are in fact relating that to a 4 year old.

Ok, I'm done. Your accusations aren't making any sense & now you're arguing about a post that's not mine (I just quoted it to show that I agree with the part about making assumptions). I guess people can't voice (er, type) their opinions around here!

You can voice your opinion, just don't get upset when someone disagrees with it or "singles you out".

I really don't mind when people disagree with me...normally I enjoy this type of discussion, but your post about staying away from your kids was insulting and unwarranted.

You presuming to tell me and others that we should be worried about the way we raise our kids wasn't a problem though? I thought you were done with this thread? Back to get in one more?

Yep, just like you said you were!! I'll give you the last word--you earned it! ;)

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I take my kids, age 5&6, into the Womens locker room with me when I go top the gym. Its much better than leaving them alone while I go in. I have a boy and a girl. Also, my kids see both of their parents naked regularly. Not in a sexual way but in a "we don't hide the human body" sort of way. They know we have different parts, use the correct names for them, know when it is appropriate to be naked and when it is not. They have no problem with any of it. It is grown adults like you who are behaving ridiculously by making others uncomfortable. Would I love it if my husband took my 6 year old daughter into a mends locker room, probably not. But only because I know there are people like you who would make a big deal about it. She is perfectly capable of sitting and talking with daddy until its time to go, she likely wouldn't notice you or what parts you have where. Same as my son in the Womens locker room.

Off topic (but is that really bad at this point?), my son walking into the bathroom while I was taking a bath, he's three, pointed and said, "Mommy's vagina". He then ran off to find Dad and I heard him say in the next room, "Daddy's penis." I laughed.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am born and raised hippie child. I grew up at the Oregon Country Fair. Naked people all over the place. Naked sauna, showers without curtains, people playing guitar naked, riding bicycles naked.

TITS! *kitten*! PENIS! B00BS! OMG

I am a relatively well-adjusted person who can use proper grammar and spelling. I am not a killer, sex fiend etc.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS.

NOT A CHILD ABUSE ISSUE.

If you're a grown *kitten* man and can't handle a little person in the room when you are naked/they are naked YOU have the problem.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

These people must think that the men's locker room is one big orgy......or that the men in there "sword fight" or something......I've never been in one myself, but I assume that it's just men either getting dressed, undressed, drying off or getting into the shower.

I've always assumed they do "sword fight". Thanks for ruining it for me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for dinner tonight. I haven't been doing too well for the last couple of weeks, I hope I can get back on track soon.

Perfect timing! :laugh:

Okay, best post in this thread. :drinker:
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!" FUNNY!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ammon......NO! A good father will use the FAMILY LOCKER ROOM!

This

It is definitely possible that it didn't occur to him. He may just have been thinking about family boundaries. Four is definitely too old to ignore public boundries. Kids need to be taught how we behave in public. Even if he thinks it is no big deal, the societal norm is that opposite genders do not share locker rooms. Overreacting was not cool, but it happens. If he does it again, try apologizing if you sounded rude. It was unintentional, so he should understand. Then explain that it makes people uncomfortable and that there are family locker rooms for that purpose. If he is a normal, good guy, he'll get it. If not, you'll never win him over and you just need to check out your gym's rules. If iit's allowed, there's nothing you can do. If it's not and he doesn't listen to reason, go over his head and make a complaint.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for dinner tonight. I haven't been doing too well for the last couple of weeks, I hope I can get back on track soon.

Perfect timing! :laugh:

Okay, best post in this thread. :drinker:

Right on, man. Now I can leave this thread in peace... :flowerforyou:
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with it. You are desensitizing that child to seeing things of a private nature regarding random strangers. So what, the kid is then say 5 and the perv down the road wants to show her his junk, but hey she thinks it's okay because she's seen plenty of men's private parts before because she goes in the locker room with daddy all the time. It's normal to that child and thus the child won't raise the concern they probably should to a parent.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Ammon......NO! A good father will use the FAMILY LOCKER ROOM!

This

It is definitely possible that it didn't occur to him. He may just have been thinking about family boundaries. Four is definitely too old to ignore public boundries. Kids need to be taught how we behave in public. Even if he thinks it is no big deal, the societal norm is that opposite genders do not share locker rooms. Overreacting was not cool, but it happens. If he does it again, try apologizing if you sounded rude. It was unintentional, so he should understand. Then explain that it makes people uncomfortable and that there are family locker rooms for that purpose. If he is a normal, good guy, he'll get it. If not, you'll never win him over and you just need to check out your gym's rules. If iit's allowed, there's nothing you can do. If it's not and he doesn't listen to reason, go over his head and make a complaint.

My gym doesn't have a family locker room. Soooo... ?
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    yea that's bad. I mean I gasp when women bring little boys into the women's locker room about that age or older when my girly parts are hanging out...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with it. You are desensitizing that child to seeing things of a private nature regarding random strangers. So what, the kid is then say 5 and the perv down the road wants to show her his junk, but hey she thinks it's okay because she's seen plenty of men's private parts before because she goes in the locker room with daddy all the time. It's normal to that child and thus the child won't raise the concern they probably should to a parent.

That's when parenting comes in to teach the children boundaries. I think one of the biggest things that are usually taught (I hope) is don't socialize with strangers.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My dad used to take me into the men's locker room at the YMCA when I took swimming lessons. The story goes that I noticed a man with a long ponytail (it was the '70s) and said loudly "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!"

At the Fitness Center where I work, children under 5 must be with their parent in the adult locker room, children over 5 must go to the children's locker rooms. Except for children with special needs.

I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.

Yup, this ^^^. 4 year old with her father practicing healty fitness habits. Shameful.
    ETA it's called the human body and we all have one. Also shameful. SMH.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    mmm interesting topic for sure. Being a mom, anytime we go to the pool or water park or swim lessons etc the majority of the showers are moms and kids of different ages and sexes all showering. Granted most of the time i go out is during the day with stay at home moms and there is not another option at most places and most people do not think twice. those who do generally change in the bath room stall drape a towel or dress in the corner with minimal body parts facing out :) but other just don"t care.

the last time we went to a public water park during the day someone elses kid was poping in and out of a locker, and crawling on the floor making duck noises. meh it happens My friend son is like 5 and he was in there he has special needs and is aware but not nearly as much that he can be left alone while she was changing and showering and getting her other kids ready. my boys are four and they go everwhere I go unless dad is availble to take them.

that being said if there was a family room available and open I would use that first...A) those rooms have doors and locks and I can keep the little buggers contained., and it is less stressful, and easier. And if there was daycare available I would leave them there until I was done in the shower cuase it is not very often mommy gets a shower or go to the bathroom with out someone comming in or banging on the damn door the whole time, so if someone else is going to watch them HOORAY

but I guess IMO and everyone has their own opinion... naked is naked naked does not automatically = sexual.

I guess if I had a problem with the age of someone in the ladies room/locker room and I don"t feel 5-6 is weird unless they were being obviously inapropriate. I would just walk to another area in the locker room or find a stall. and If I was that uncomfortable I would say somthing to management or find a gym like mine where there are not kids allowed and they only have 1 bathroom for each sex. :)

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

A responsible parent will have conversations with their child, from a young age, about what is and isn't appropriate. Changing your clothing in a locker room before and after being active: appropriate. Taking your clothes off in the playroom, or allowing someone to show you their genitals behind the shed: inappropriate.

Stop letting the teevee raise your children, take some active responsibility and be frucking rational about what the world is really like.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    IMO, he should have taken her to the family changing rooms, especially with that age child