Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    clueless. It's like women who their sons into the female locker room. I will never forget a few years ago I was going to swim at the pool and a woman brought her son (who had to be at least 7) into the locker room. I freaked out and she just didn't get that it was completely inappropriate.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Men walk around naked in gym locker rooms?? my gym does not have naked women walking around. In a towel yes, but not naked. hmmm
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Just had another thought. Those saying its not appropriate for young girls to be in the same changing rooms as men, lest they do anything to her while her dad is there, or lest she think its ok for strange men in the street to do things to her, shouldn't the same then apply to young boys being in with men? Young boys are commonly molested by some men also. The options then are of course seperate kids changing rooms, which of course leaves kids to young to get dressed themselves with problems, or every single person with a child of any sex must use the family locker rooms. Yes, a ridiculous idea, but I don't really see it as any different, both boys and girls get preyed on. What if a little boy thinks its ok for a man to expose himself to the boy in the street as he has seen it in the locker room?
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think twice if someone brought a 4 yr old boy into the women's locker room. I don't really see the big deal either. If there were family locker rooms available though then he's just an idiot.

Agree
    We dont have family locker rooms so any child 8 and over has to go in locker room on own. So we have little boys come in the girls locker room up till 7 yrs old. My son is 3 and goes in the womens locker room with me. Now if we had family ones then yea I would not do that but if not I am not sending my 4 year old into one other locker room while I am in the other. Not to mention that child could go right to the pool without me from locker room.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am over ten times her age and I think I MYSELF would be traumatized if I accidentally went into the men's locker room lol. Yeah almost every spa or gym I've gone too is very naked-ey <====new word.

When she is old enough and finds out what those dangly things are actually for, she will be terrified of dating. She should never see one full sized and up close like that before she is older and exploring stuff. Plus some old men are gross perv's how could he do that to his daughter?

He's clearly still thinking of her as a baby, and is like lots of parents today totally selfish and just cared about what's convenient for him, right now. Yeah no little kid should think it's okay for a grown up to expose themselves in another setting because they learned it at the gym with mommy or daddy. Don't workout that day if you're too lazy or weird to use the family locker room. Put your kids first damn it. Do you know how many fancy thin in shape parents I see with butterball kids who you know they spend all day in the gym and then don't give a crap what their kids eat or do all day. Some fit people take it too far and lose balance. Hope this never happens to me. [may have just given up on her diet for fear of losing all sense and reason someday].
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I am four times her age and I think I MYSELF would be traumatized if I accidentally went into the men's locker room.
    If you are only 4 times a 4 year olds age you shouldn't even be on this site, but I think at 16 I wouldn't like being in the mens locker room either.
    Its interesting how a lot of people who have never been in the situation are going on about how the child will definitely be traumatised for the rest of her life, it will affect her adult relationships etc, but all of the people who were actually taken into mens locker rooms as kids and are speaking up to say it was fine are totally ignored. i I could be wrong as its a long thread, but I think every single person here who has said about being in a mens locker room as a child has said they were not traumatised, don't think there was one person who said they were traumatised. I could be wrong as i'm not rereading the whole thread, but at least the vast majority are fine. Thats the "it will definitely traumatise her" theory blown out of the water really.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm still laughing at the image of a bunch of grown men scrambling for towels and standing on their tippy toes on a stool shrieking, "EEEEK!!!! A LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!"

Yeah, that's a whole lot funnier than thinking about them NOT covering up and wandering around with their junk hanging out like it normally is in the men's locker. If there's a family locker room it should have been used. It might be "no big deal" to some, but to others it may be a huge deal. Oh, and by the way there are real freaking pervs out there that would love to wag their weiner for a 4 year old.

Exactly! Some of these people who think they are so european and naked-ey should maybe go back to europe and leave us to raise our little kids in a penis free environment.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I am four times her age and I think I MYSELF would be traumatized if I accidentally went into the men's locker room.
    If you are only 4 times a 4 year olds age you shouldn't even be on this site, but I think at 16 I wouldn't like being in the mens locker room either.
    Its interesting how a lot of people who have never been in the situation are going on about how the child will definitely be traumatised for the rest of her life, it will affect her adult relationships etc, but all of the people who were actually taken into mens locker rooms as kids and are speaking up to say it was fine are totally ignored. i I could be wrong as its a long thread, but I think every single person here who has said about being in a mens locker room as a child has said they were not traumatised, don't think there was one person who said they were traumatised. I could be wrong as i'm not rereading the whole thread, but at least the vast majority are fine. Thats the "it will definitely traumatise her" theory blown out of the water really.

woops i meant 10 times....sorry just worked out...math brain turned off.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

woops i meant 10 times....sorry just worked out...math brain turned off.

LOL ok, yeah as an adult I wouldn't really want to be in a mens locker room either, i'm far from a nudist, however with little children its just practicality not sexual. Yeah he probably should've used the family locker room if there was one ( don't know much about these as we don't have them, but it seems like it would be common courtesy to use one if there was one) but if it was full or something then no big deal, doesn't give OP the right to go off at him. If people were really that concerned about the little girl then the fact that a random man started shouting about her to her dad should be more of a concern.

Yes there are men that like 4 year old girls, I am not totally naive, however there are also men that like 4 year old boys. As long as their parents are with them nothing can happen anyway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    i agree a young girl should not be in a room full of naked men..anything could happen

Really?!?? What would happen to her with her father RIGHT THERE!! I doubt he is going to let her leave his side.

No kidding, statistically, she would be more in danger in a changing room with family. As sexual predators are usually family or friends.

Just one more post that prove how stupid and brainwashed society has made people.

No kidding a child not being shown proper boundaries by those in charge of her has a hard time maneuvering real life situations where a predator may be testing her limits. (Just because I didn't use a big old word like "statistics" doesn't mean I don't know that it's more likely to be a friend or family member who gets their mitts on her, but just cause the other is less "likely" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The OP is right to be outraged for her, embarrassed for himself and I am PROUD of him for standing up for that little girl who is too young to do so. I hope that man and the gym rethink whatever they were thinking when this occured.

PS I actually had a man yell at ME for backing into a parking spot where he CLAIMED his little girl was standing and when i told him, hey I always look in my mirror and I checked both of them and there was nobody there, he told me that she SHOULD have been there because he told HER TO HOLD THE SPOT FOR HIM BY STANDING there while he got the car to move it to park closer. (at the laundry) Man too lazy to wheel laundry cart to car 5 spots down endangers daughter and yells at stranger. So just like the OP here, I yelled at that man back! Well then WHY would you leave your little kid alone in a parking lot at all for, no reason justifies this. He took the point and clammed up the next few times I saw him as I passed the laundry mat repeatedly while bringin my purchases to the car. When I told my hubby he said "good" to my reprimanding him. Some people need to be told and I'm proud of the OP for being man enough to do that, even while naked! How many of you could say you've done the same. SOmeone has to have balls around here. NO pun intended!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I agree that if there was a family locker room around he should have gone there however my guess is that he did what he had to do.

What about the men who have to bring their daughters into the mens room to pee? Last time I checked the urinals weren't locked in a stall so how is seeing a naked man in a locker room any different then seeing a man peeing at a urinal?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I agree that if there was a family locker room around he should have gone there however my guess is that he did what he had to do.

What about the men who have to bring their daughters into the mens room to pee? Last time I checked the urinals weren't locked in a stall so how is seeing a naked man in a locker room any different then seeing a man peeing at a urinal?

ONE man can tell his daughter to turn around while he pees. He can't however tell a locker room full of men to cover up, or I guess if he carried her and had her cover her eyes when he went in but then it's all just getting silly now, isnt' it? Isn't the answer....JUST STAY HOME THAT particular day? Isn't it okay that our kid gets in they way of our workout sometimes? Isn't it ever okay anymore for a kids needs to come before their parents? I mean really have we all become SOOO selfish and narcisisstic we can't put our kids needs first?
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    clueless. It's like women who their sons into the female locker room. I will never forget a few years ago I was going to swim at the pool and a woman brought her son (who had to be at least 7) into the locker room. I freaked out and she just didn't get that it was completely inappropriate.

This.

I can't stand it when women bring their sons into a women's locker room or changing room. They run around peeping through/under doors and generally being little bratty pervs. And the moms are oblivious. It's not about body acceptance, they are teaching their boys that it's okay to intrude on a stranger's privacy. It's just plain rude. If you can't find a babysitter, stay home. If you want to expose your child to the naked human body, join a nudist club. Don't expect perfect strangers to be comfortable being your sons' naked-adult-of-the-opposite-sex learning experience.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

This.

I can't stand it when women bring their sons into a women's locker room or changing room. They run around peeping through/under doors and generally being little bratty pervs. And the moms are oblivious. It's not about body acceptance, they are teaching their boys that it's okay to intrude on a stranger's privacy. It's just plain rude. If you can't find a babysitter, stay home. If you want to expose your child to the naked human body, join a nudist club. Don't expect perfect strangers to be comfortable being your sons' naked-adult-of-the-opposite-sex learning experience.

Those are examples of poor parenting though. A woman can easily bring her well-behaved child into the locker room and not allow him to peep under doors. Obviously that's inappropriate - but there's a huge difference between bringing your child into a locker room and letting your child act crazy in a locker room.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Thank you for saying this.

The people who are raging about how the little girl is going to be traumatized are ignoring multiple posts from women who were once 4 year olds in similar situations who were not traumatized in the least (me for example.)

On that note and in response to what others have said in this thread, seeing men standing at urinals at 4 did not terrify me from penises and make me never want to date. It did not warp my sexuality. It did not make me scared of men nor did it make me want men any more than anyone else. It did not put me in a position to be abused. It did not have any of these terrible effects people are postulating.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

This.

Those are examples of poor parenting though. A woman can easily bring her well-behaved child into the locker room and not allow him to peep under doors. Obviously that's inappropriate - but there's a huge difference between bringing your child into a locker room and letting your child act crazy in a locker room.

But it's inconsiderate to expect strangers to be comfortable with a child of the opposite sex in the locker room, or wherever nudity or undress is the norm. It shows a disregard for other people's personal space, sense of decorum, modesty, etc., and IMO that influences the child negatively in that they are raised to be inconsiderate of other people's very reasonable expectations of privacy and/or decency. It's not just about bad parenting. It's about knowing when you are placing a burden on strangers who have every right to reasonably expect a certain level of modesty. It's not okay to say "don't be a prude" or "we should teach kids to be comfortable with the naked body," because it's not okay to expect strangers to share your viewpoint on a very personal matter.

In my experience, more times than not, the parent is oblivious to what the child is up to. They just tune their kids out. IMO, keep the kids at home with a sitter, who is (hopefully) keeping a better eye on them.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Completely clueless. Like you said, there are naked men walking around in there. I'm sure it made you feel very uncomfortable.

I used to carry my son into the female bathrooms, but keep the stalls in mind. He never saw anyone & he definitely never looked under the stalls either. That always irritates me.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

This.

But it's inconsiderate to expect strangers to be comfortable with a child of the opposite sex in the locker room, or wherever nudity or undress is the norm. It shows a disregard for other people's personal space, sense of decorum, modesty, etc.,

And that's a totally valid point. If OP was uncomfortable with the little girl being in the locker room he should have approached the management of the gym to express his discomfort instead of yelling at a man with his little kid in the locker room.

Everyone has a right to feel comfortable in the locker room of the gym they choose to go to. However, that's really the only issue I see here. People who are saying the child is going to be traumatized really have no clue.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    While I would not have wanted my 4 year old daughter brought into a men's locker room, I respect that others might have different opinions on the topic and don't necessarily think that seeing men naked in a locker room is going to traumatize her. However, my issue is that his actions are obviously making the men in the locker room uncomfortable and that alone is a valid reason for him to use the family locker rooms with her. Personally, as a woman, while I don't really have a problem changing in front of my own young son, I would feel uncomfortable changing in front of someone else's son.

While I disagree with confronting the man in front of his child, I would definitely have said something to management.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm still laughing at the image of a bunch of grown men scrambling for towels and standing on their tippy toes on a stool shrieking, "EEEEK!!!! A LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!"

Yeah, that's a whole lot funnier than thinking about them NOT covering up and wandering around with their junk hanging out like it normally is in the men's locker. If there's a family locker room it should have been used. It might be "no big deal" to some, but to people who have irrational hangups about genitalia and a twisted perspective of human sexuality it may be a huge deal.
    Fixed that for ya. :happy:

If a father and kid and other people are standing around and when a snake comes into the room everyone freaks the hell out, the kid will immediately pick up a fear of snakes too. We're wired to pick up fears that way, it's a good survival instinct but it doesn't mean it's useful in a civilized society.