1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the post, and I learned. Thank you. I wish you were local so I could meet with you myself.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Newbies dont believe u need to eat and do what u can maintain for life. I have learned alot in the past 9 mths, most I wished I had know when I started.
    Great post really!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bumping for work read tomorrow lol Thanks for taking your time to post this.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Read it all.........I LOVE IT> >>>I have no idea how people are eating 1200 calories and actually functioning. I usually have that much left after lunch.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nice post! I want to blame MFP for this "magic" 1200 cals. You sign up and of course you select the most aggressive loss of 2 lbs/ week and next thing you know MFP has set you to 1200. Unless you really read up on stuff, most are going to assume the site knows best :(
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    bump
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    and.......................your already getting the comments from them! How great they feel on 1200 blah blah...........time will tell the tell!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    hehe, thanks guys. and to those that are surviving (and thriving) great on 1200, it means your BMR is lower than that. It happens. If you are 100 lbs, and 18, and a size double 00, i don't think there's any cause for you to try to lose weight =).
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So what happened when she reached her weight loss goal. Did she eventually go down to 1200 and does she remain there?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
  • LinsdayMV
    LinsdayMV Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, love this message.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    What an amazing (and sensible) post. It absolutely makes sense!

So for those of us who have only been on (or back on) the wagon for a few weeks at 1200, do we bump our calorie intake up again?

I can kind of guestimate how many calories I was inhaling before the first of the year, but I didn't log until I came back to MFP a week or so ago.

Thank you for taking the time to write it all down for us.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    That was a very good read, thanks for posting :bigsmile: , like the newbie i started with the 1200 ,now I'm struggling with a plateau and only 7 lbs left to lose. Im on the right path, now, 1500 + cal's a day and a new work out program will hopefully get me out of my starvation mode.

Cheers :drinker:
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Love it. Very well written, explains things in simple, common sense terms.
  • JP4LQR
    JP4LQR Posts: 12
    Options
    Bump
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So what happened when she reached her weight loss goal. Did she eventually go down to 1200 and does she remain there?

I'm actually so happy you asked. Actually, she got down to 140s just eating 2000. her body adjusted as I thought it might. Plus, when you start losing that much weight, you become naturally very curious about upping exercise. She did that, and now she squats 185!..granted she's 40 now and still going strong. Just recently, she emailed me about some contest prep dieting ideas, and I was so pleasantly surprised about how much she knew. I guess she was always very hungry for knowledge, just life throws curve balls and one minute you're partying in college and the next with 3 kids and 300 lb.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

I think you should relax. Maybe once you read your quoted portion, you should have exited this forum post and went about your day.

To OP, good job brother. That should be helpful for some people.