Anyone else having a hard time cutting out alcohol??

Options

Replies

• brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Re: wine oxidizing if you don't drink it "fast enough" - - a great investment is a wine vacuum top, which sucks the air out of the bottle (still or sparkling wines) to make it last MUCH longer. Great for wines you use to cook with only too, this really gives you a longer shelf life. Less than $10 (got 2 for $4 on sale recently). Good luck
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This isn't an issue for me as I haven't done it. If I had to stop having a glass or two of wine a week (day) people would die.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!! BOOZE IS GOOD.
  • andreacordd
    Options
    This isn't an issue for me as I haven't done it. If I had to stop having a glass or two of wine a week (day) people would die.

:laugh: this. I'm usually good with one glass though. Although I'm twenty you won't find me actually boozing it up very often.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out any. If anything, I'll work a little harder to make sure there's room for a beer or two.

I think you are my new BF!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    It is a habit change, it takes a while to get used to. Give it 90 days and it will be no big deal. You will feel better and lose more weight
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I get my pound on every other weekend, Fcck it ... still lost weight, still feeling great. But I'm no athlete. I think if I were training for something significant like a Tri then I'd cut it out Temp.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    mmmm... craft beer or a fine white wine... YUM! :drinker:
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's tough being a grad student with friends who always have drinks and/or beers at every get-together. I've decided to try to cut out drinking for a couple months, just so that I can be more on top of things, and not get lazy over the weekends. This is my first weekend of no drinking, and it may be difficult if I go out and socialize a lot. Plus, I have 5 bottles of wine at home (I buy 6 at a time now for an additional discount), as well as a variety of liquors which are supposed to be made to last. However, I drank close to half a fifth of Evan Williams Honey Reserve last weekend... I think that it might help to have a specific amount of money that I can spend on wine. Whatever I don't spend on drinks, I put in savings. I just came up with this idea... Money has always been a great motivator. Also, there's always the advice of having water, sparkly water, diet soda between drinks. I already make mixed drinks with diet soda, although I don't know how much that helps.
  • alowry007
    alowry007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure out how I am going to fit a few drinks in tonight when my hubby and I go out with friends later! My conclusion is to work out extra hard and extra long at the gym tonight.... Hope it works :)
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I definitley notice the difference when I am not drinking for a while. It's easier to control my eating, especially at night. it's easier to wake up and work out in the morning. the pounds literally fall off. I try to add it back in moderation but I know my limits and I'm a bit of an extremist. It's all or none. Therefore, i am drying out for a few months and hopefully the added health benefits of more weight loss and better morning workouts outweigh all of the resveratrol I'm missing from my nightly wine (which by the way is a dumb excuse for drinking excessive amounts of wine...or so my wife has reminded me repeatedly).
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    I have been banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure out how I am going to fit a few drinks in tonight when my hubby and I go out with friends later! My conclusion is to work out extra hard and extra long at the gym tonight.... Hope it works :)

Oh, I know what you mean! I have a date tomorrow, and he wants to have chinese food. I thought one meal wouldn't hurt, but he also wants to have some drinks after..lol. Sometimes the opposite sex can sabotage your diet..lol.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have an affinity craft beer. No matter how carefully I watch my diet, I ALWAYS go over by exactly the number of beer calories I drink. I'm just not one of those people who can save my calories for beer. Life is meant to have some level of enjoyment. I'm willing to have a few extra lbs around the hips if it means I can enjoy my drinks. It's a trade off.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way, shape, or form an alcoholic, but I enjoy a cigar and a stiff drink most nights. It's my "thing". Anyone else trying to find a way to cut calories during the day to make room for drink? Is alcohol as bad for weight loss as I hear?
    I looked up alcohol calories, ( just pure research mind you) :laugh: I was amazed at which ones had the least calories. Vodka being one of the lower ones (wine is not all that great you are talking only 4oz (Vs a shot of hard stuff about the same) so this is the site where I found it, I just googled it, (there are a bunch of sites out there) http://caloriecount.about.com/ I agree with most on here. Just allow for it in your daily calorie consumption You should be fine, :drinker:
  • Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Its the only way my friend. Giving up all the food naughties is bad enough, but a nice drink as well? No chance. I love my wine, and build it into the calorie count. Tonight I did 40 mins on the cross trainer so I dont have to feel guilty about the bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc...
  • PJClay57
    Options
    They say its all about moderation and will power; I haven't met this Will Power guy yet so if you see him, please send him my way!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Also, check this out for good measure:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Well now, isn't that handy! Interesting
    Perfect!! even 100% better than one I found. Yours just got saved to favs :drinker:
  • Chloe0602
    Chloe0602 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Since I"ve quit smoking, I've also decreased my vodka intake. If I do plan on having a few on the weekends, I just plan for it through the day :)
  • lizrosscollier
    lizrosscollier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that still enjoy the odd drink and even those that exercise more or eat slightly less to compensate for it. I believe that if you 'cut out' any given food or drink completely, it makes the whole healthy lifestyle changes just that much more difficult. If I know that I'm likely to have a few drinks on any given day, I plan for it and make sure the foods I have are low cal to save some for the night. I also mix drinks with a zero calorie drink to save even more calories. It works! Those people on the message board that have spoken about moderation are so right! That's exactly what it's about ... and not beating yourself up if you go overboard. Tomorrow is another day ... and eating healthy is for life. Not just for one day.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've ditched alcohol for the time being. I dont think there is anything wrong with fitting a couple of beers into your daily planning, its just that alcohol (even that small amount) makes you weak willed and increases your need to nibble - peanuts, chips etc, while you are drinking.
    Yes - its tough. I have been a half bottle of wine (sometimes a full bottle) each evening girl for 20 years. I only bought high quality red wine and I enjoyed it, and so its been a loss to quit it. The loss feeling lasted two weeks, and then started to get better. I would now rather have that 400 calories in good food than slug it down from a glass.

If it suits you to have the beers then write it into your logging, but make sure that you dont snack as well.
    I am more worried about your cigar however, but as an ex smoker, I cant preach !!!