Replies

• naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    So true!! Thanks OP, great post!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Strength-training has many scientifically-established benefits - all of which lead to a higher quality of life for all populations. Furthermore, muscular strength and endurance is unquestionably the most vital fitness component as we age since loss of LBM is inevitable without intervention due to sarcopenia (age-related loss of lean body mass). As a result, efficacy in performing functional, everyday tasks (such as walking, bathing, feeding, changing clothes, using the bathroom, etc.) declines significantly. Regardless of what your fat loss goals are, the introduction of strength-training simply offers too many real world benefits that will improve overall quality of life.
  • lisasnolin
    Options
    Well said. I agree.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Excellent post my dear!! People who only do cardio and not going to see much in the way of toning their muscles, they will lose fat but not define themselves. Same goes for people who only strength train they will define their muscles but not lose fat. You need a good combination of the two! I am guilty of this myself, I never did cardio and only strength trained, then I tried working cardio in my routine with strength and BAM! dropped all those excess lbs I couldn't lose before!

This is not exactly true. Depending on the body type, and diet, it is possible to lose weight without doing cardio. Your diet would have to be squeaky clean though!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    ^^Agree. There are many fat loss studies comparing pounds lost associated with various forms of exercise and groups adhering to diet alone and diet plus strength-training (without cardio) have successfully reduced fat mass. I'm part of the diet and strength-training group and have lost 5 lbs of fat mass in 7 weeks and will likely omit cardio during future cuts as well.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I belong to a long hair group

Never heard of something such as this. What do you do at your "long hair group"? Oh, and so as not to hijack this thread, thanks for the post OP. I have lost 29 lbs with almost no exercise but know I def need to incorporate strength training into my routine.

Hey, it's 80% diet anyways so good for you for getting that in check.

I've seen the saying a ton of times, "you can't out run a bad diet"

Good for you on the loss
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yay.

(Although, personally, I liked yesterday's post slightly more.)
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Excellent post my dear!! People who only do cardio and not going to see much in the way of toning their muscles, they will lose fat but not define themselves. Same goes for people who only strength train they will define their muscles but not lose fat. You need a good combination of the two! I am guilty of this myself, I never did cardio and only strength trained, then I tried working cardio in my routine with strength and BAM! dropped all those excess lbs I couldn't lose before!

This is not exactly true. Depending on the body type, and diet, it is possible to lose weight without doing cardio. Your diet would have to be squeaky clean though!

Good point, I will amend my original statement. Most people that I have come into contact with have been unable to lose all of their unwanted weight with just strength training or could not tone up completely with nothing but cardio. You can absolutely lose weight just with diet but you're right the diet has to be super clean all the time!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I shut my mouth and listened to this smart and savvy post!!!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    love you mucho, shanna shanna banana fanna! you got my vote. i mean, honestly, check out my guns! they weren't achieved on an elliptical!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mh0bzhl3iC1s2f7dzo1_500.jpg
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Great post!

yjql5_zps40c32385.gif
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

this is not true. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, the "cleanliness" of your diet is irrelevant. You will STILL lose weight. Even if your 1500 calories are ALL "dirty" foods.

True story.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Good point, I will amend my original statement. Most people that I have come into contact with have been unable to lose all of their unwanted weight with just strength training or could not tone up completely with nothing but cardio. You can absolutely lose weight just with diet but you're right the diet has to be super clean all the time!

Nope.
  • jules1202
    Options
    Yay strength training!

I have bad joints (herniated disc in my lower back and neck and degeneration throughout since my early 20's) and I don't know where I would be without strenth training! If you didn't see my MRIs you wouldn't know about the degeneration because I decided to build my muscles properly instead of using it as an excuse to not exercise back when I was in so much pain and got diagnosed.

Not only is my back so much healthier but my balance and reflexes are hugely improved. Saved my laptop with one hand as it fell off the table a few months ago and I know I wouldn't have had the reflexes or strength to do that before I really started strength training (I go to a great boot camp with people who help me push farther and stay motivated).
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One more
    Zumba_zpsad93df28.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Nope.

Agree. Calorie deficit to lose weight. Good macros for health and body comp. Strength training to maintian lean muscle mass and lose mostly fat. No need to be "super clean" what ever that means.
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Much agreed! My husband tried to convince me to lift weights for years and it wasn't until recently that I started to listen. I was one of those girls that did not want to look masculine. Since I have started, my waist is only 2 inches away from my smallest size yet I am much heavier in pounds than I was back then. I say screw the scale its all about the tape measure! I am all for strength training now. I would rather tighten everything up and be heavier in weight than skinny flabby.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Much agreed! My husband tried to convince me to lift weights for years and it wasn't until recently that I started to listen. I was one of those girls that did not want to look masculine. Since I have started, my waist is only 2 inches away from my smallest size yet I am much heavier in pounds than I was back then. I say screw the scale its all about the tape measure! I am all for strength training now. I would rather tighten everything up and be heavier in weight than skinny flabby.

I :heart: tape measures....they're not dirty lying *kitten* like the scales :wink: