May I PLEASE have your undivided attention

Options
123457»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Still as awesome as yesterday..you and the post! Love it! Thanks for putting it back up! :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OMG muscles are like totally gross on a girl!

I like my arms to be flabby and weak that way when I'm a little old lady I can get an awesome case of osteoporosis and break my hip bone sneezing.

No thank you ma'am I'm going back to my bon bon lifting.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Love this post. :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker:

Apologies in advance for a slight hi-jack. I got on a roll.

Lifting weights was never a consideration for me before reading MFP. I wasn't afraid I was going to bulk up, because I knew that someone like WWE's Chyna works way harder than I ever would to achieve her physique. I just didn't think it was necessary for my lifestyle.

And there was a small fear of hurting myself, since I used to dislocate body parts on a regular basis. I'm hypermobile and had always been accident prone. I had braces for my knees and wrists from frequent injuries, and I'd knock my back out a few times a year. And sometimes I'd dislocate my hip during intimate moments. :blushing: I felt... old.

Know how many times I've been injured since I joined this site two years ago? Once. A stress fracture in my ankle a year ago. From running. No back injuries. No twisted knees, sprained ankles or wonky wrists. No embarrassing and painful moments during nookie, either. Strengthening my muscles made my joints more stable. It amazes me that I was someone who once threw out her back from twisting funny while cleaning up cat puke, and I now squat and deadlift 1.2x my body weight.

There was a smaller fear that I'd "lose my curves" from lifting. Boy, was that silly! It's just made me curvier... my waist smaller, my butt perkier!

IMG_1293-copy2.jpg

135-front.jpg

And it doesn't take "hours and hours in a gym" like I once thought it would. I lift at home, about 3x a week, and about a half hour each time. All my lifting takes about the same amount of time per week as watching one movie or three sitcoms.

No apologies for a "hijack" b/c this is precisely the type of example that is needed.
    I think you're amazing and always take time to read your posts when I come across them
    Much love to both the OP and the self-proclaimed hijacker! :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • The OP's post was spot on. 'Nuff said!
    • The 'hijacker' pics were a perfect example of the benefits of strength training! She was 5 lbs heavier in the 'after' pics but it's obvious that she lost inches where it counts and I have ZERO doubts that she felt/performed better in the 'after' pics!

Bravo/kudos to both of you! :drinker: :drinker:
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against strength training, I just have no clue how to go about it or what exercises to do with it.

You're in luck:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Lots of great info in that link :bigsmile:

Thanks so much!
  • wannadance
    Options
    You had my attention yesterday, and I still love your post and thank you for it.

^^ this :flowerforyou:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Love it! I think you hit the nail on the head with the part about avoiding injuries as we age.

I agree totally!! I started lifting seriously after my dad died! I had gotten the New Rules and had read it but didn't get serious with the program. Hubby saw me sliding into depression after Dad's death and gave me 4 months with a strength coach. My goal is not to lose weight, though I need to. It isn't to have a hot bikini bod for the first time in my life, though it would be a GREAT side effect. It is to be strong and healthy so my kids don't go through decades of wheelchairs, kidney failure, diabetes, heart disease, Rehab hospitals, heart attacks. The last 2 years were the hardest. I miss my dad but I WILL learn from his last life lesson. I will take better care of myself and get healthy now. I almost waited too long. I realize sickness does happen but I also see what years of obesity can do to the human body. If nothing else, I want to leave a DIFFERENT legacy to my kids!
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    Much agreed! My husband tried to convince me to lift weights for years and it wasn't until recently that I started to listen. I was one of those girls that did not want to look masculine. Since I have started, my waist is only 2 inches away from my smallest size yet I am much heavier in pounds than I was back then. I say screw the scale its all about the tape measure! I am all for strength training now. I would rather tighten everything up and be heavier in weight than skinny flabby.

ME TOO!! 500 pounds? Who cares if I am a size 6?!? SOMEDAY!! :happy:
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    What an informative, helpful, and uplifting thread! Just the kind of thing this site needs more of.

I look forward to it being locked.

I'll just keep reposting :wink:

Please do!

Glad I found it before the lock!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What an informative, helpful, and uplifting thread! Just the kind of thing this site needs more of.

Please do!

What lock?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Please do!

What lock?

When it hits 500?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Please do!

What lock?

When it hits 500?

At the rate this thread is going, it's going to take quite a while to get there.

I'll do what I can to help it along though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just realized BeingAwesome deactivated :( Bummed.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Why am I here again?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Why am I here again?

For the awesomeness that was BeingAwesome! Duh. :bigsmile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    cat-floats-in-pool_zps295bde03.jpg
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes. There's more to muscle than physique! It literally moves us. :P

I see fat as a free-loader that I have to carry around.

Bump it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    cat-floats-in-pool_zps295bde03.jpg

Cute!