Strange weight loss comments...

Options
DaveHuby
DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
Today I visited my old office, first time since September.

I was greeted by the receptionist with the question "didn't you used to be Dave Huby?"

Quickly followed by "my goodness you've lost weight"

Not sure which flattered most.

What's the weirdest you have had?

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Honestly I could throw out tons of good, bad, and innapropriate weight loss/and gain compliments (or back handed compliments) I have gotten. I think the most annoying are when people insist that you are "too thin" in ways that are usually not just "Wow, you're too thin" but more like "When was the last time you ate?"

Though with what you experienced I did experience that with some of my ex high school class mates and that was a good feeling. However that was more about personal changes than weight loss. I can definitely get the good feeling of change though. Congrats to your weight loss, may you get many more comments that are in turn compliments. :D
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser asked me why I was so dressed up! I had to EXPLAIN that I wasn't dressed up, I had lost weight. lol

Congrats on your success!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've had someone comment on my weight loss positively, then a month or however long later ask "Oh, did you give up working out?"

I was still actively losing weight, and I made sure they felt like a *kitten* for asking. Not really a 'strange' comment, but still caught me off guard!
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The comment I recieved was even your hair is prettier. The same cut and style 45 pounds heavier. Really
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I get good ones and bad ones. The best come from ppl I haven't seen for years...Wow! you look amazing! And ppl at my gym....April you look great! You are truly inspiring! Love when those comments come from thin ppl that were never over weight :)
    The worst come from family..if you get any smaller your gonna be a stick! No on realizes how hard we have worked for this!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    best one for me was the fact that someone actually walked past me in the gym because he didn't recognice me!!!!! He then spent ten minutes apologising to my DH and asking him to pass on the apologies, in case i thought he was being rude!! (I didn't notice him , I was head-down, working out).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that is WEIRD!, but you should be proud.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I once made a joke (to my wife while at a family event) that I'd lost so much weight that I could take off my jeans without unbuttoning them. Apparently my Mother overheard this and said, "Nu-uh! I want to see you do that!"

Cue awkward silence.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    From a trainer at my gym: "You were way hotter before you lost weight".
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The "strangest" weight loss comments...one girl cld not get it out of her mouth--she just kept saying, "OMG"
    another would be a former co-worker who I ran into at the mall just kept saying OVER AND OVER AGAIN, "you've lost weight. a lot of weight. a lot of weight. a lot of weight..." LOL
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    after 30lbs weights loss, that I still look the same! Whatever!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    A couple days ago I saw my dad, mom and sister...I had seen my parents in November, hadn't seen my sister since June. My father told me I had lost weight, my sister agreed. Later I put on a pair of shorts to show my mom the changes in the backs of my legs ( no fat now!) and she confirmed the no fat...and told me my butt looks good
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get good ones and bad ones. The best come from ppl I haven't seen for years...Wow! you look amazing! And ppl at my gym....April you look great! You are truly inspiring! Love when those comments come from thin ppl that were never over weight :)
    The worst come from family..if you get any smaller your gonna be a stick! No on realizes how hard we have worked for this!
    Neighbor,
    How much more are you planning to lose? I said 90 pounds and she said, "You don't want to get too thin..." People don't get that I'm still 301! They guess I'm between 220 and 240...
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I once got "wow, you're shrinking away to nothing!" Which I found weird, is that a goal I should be pursuing?? I always thought that I was just working at becoming a better version of me...

I also had a cousin say "how are you losing so much weight? It's crack right?" (CLEARLY joking...)
  • RogerSmith12
    Options
    About 4 years ago I lost 20 pounds (they are back now!). This guys told me..."you look sick, you should go see a Dr...I have this friend that started to lose weight too fast and she went to the Dr. and found out she has AIDS" (no kidding!). I will never forget his words. Ridiculous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a main office that I work at most of the time, and two other offices in two other towns that I'm only at occasionally. I hadn't been to the Rio Rancho office since early November (a bit unusual because I used to be there at least once every week or two). I don't have to go through the security point as I have a pass to get in through a private door. As I was walking down the hall to my office and started to put my key in the door, the door down the hall burst open with 3 of our security personnel coming quickly at me ...they were almost all the way to me (with my eyes bugging out) and they slowed up and the lead security said, "holy ****...Mr. Wolf, that you?" I was just glad they realized before slamming me to the ground. They saw me approaching my office on the security monitors and didn't recognize me without my fat suit on...or much less of a fat suit anyways.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    That hurt! Did you ask the trainer to go to...?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    That hurt! Did you ask the trainer to go to...?

I *wish* I'd said "You were way hotter before you started talking!" :laugh: but in real life I just looked shocked and said "Really?!"
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    people asking if I am sick...I tell them yes...of being fat.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    After losing 25 lb, I saw a former female student who hadn't seen me thin. She said, "You've lost weight. Why? Are you sick? What's wrong?" Her face was very concerned and I told her no, I did it on purpose. :)

Another time, I saw a former male student who said, "Wow! Teacher! You have a good body now!" I wanted to tell him I traded up, but I'm an ESL teacher and I was worried that he wouldn't get it...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!