Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• redbirdsings
    redbirdsings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    okay this come from my sisters boyfriend--a few years ago i had lost alot of weight which i gained back--thats why im here. But anyway two years after my weight loss we were going around the room saying what we were thankful for on thanksgiving he chimes in "im thankful angie gained some weight back she was starting too look like a crack ho!" I almost passed out!!!! looking back i did look bad i had gotten too thin but at the time i still thought i had about 15 to go..ooopsss

OK THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is sort of funny
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I got down to goal in 2010, a girl I used to work with just said "Biaatch"! I understood.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get:

"hey wow you look fantastic! I hope you're eating.. you are eating right?"

No all this lean muscle mass came from starving myself lol
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what I'm doing, and I answer to say "I eat better, am OCD about monitoring and tracking my food, and I work out 6 days a week", I always giggle internally when they say "oh" with a dejected look on their face.

Sorry I didnt have your magic answer ...
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I work with someone now who I worked with when I was heavier.We were both laid off at the same time almost three years ago.In the interim,I lost 45 pounds.On a a regular basis she says things like "your so skinny.I hate you" problem is,I don't think she's joking.Also,I kinda bristle at being called skinny.I think it's because,when I was heavy I pre-judged thin good looking people and thought they must not be very bright!
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what I'm doing, and I answer to say "I eat better, am OCD about monitoring and tracking my food, and I work out 6 days a week", I always giggle internally when they say "oh" with a dejected look on their face.

I know that look so well. No one wants to hear that you eat less (or just healthier) and move more.
  • i_am_kate
    Options
    I've only been at this for a couple of weeks, so not much has changed, but when I announced to my partner what I planned to do, his response was "why? who are you trying to impress?". I think he was trying to say "you look good the way you are", but I still couldn't believe he thought I was doing this for someone else. Lol.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    From a trainer at my gym: "You were way hotter before you lost weight".

This. I find the "before" pictures more attractive in the majority of cases. I'm not a chubby chaser, I just think a female face with slightly softer lines is prettier.

Um...thanks for the insight.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Last year, when I was fifteen lbs lighter than I am now, my Chef (who constantly crash diets before he goes on vacation and yo-yos all the time) told me I was wasting away to nothing. He is convinced he loses weight well by "dieting hard."
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

This. I find the "before" pictures more attractive in the majority of cases. I'm not a chubby chaser, I just think a female face with slightly softer lines is prettier.

Please post pics of yourself so we can tell you what we dont' like about what you are doing to your body, just you know to share our personal preferences and all. It's just what we think.
  • IvanDimitrov
    Options
    "How did you lose all that weight ? "
    "Exercise and diet"
    "No,really,how did you lose all that weight ?"

Almost the same conversation with 3 different people so fat.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I know that look so well. No one wants to hear that you eat less (or just healthier) and move more.

^^This times 100
  • beloved0922
    beloved0922 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago I lost 20 pounds (they are back now!). This guys told me..."you look sick, you should go see a Dr...I have this friend that started to lose weight too fast and she went to the Dr. and found out she has AIDS" (no kidding!). I will never forget his words. Ridiculous.

OMG! that is by far the WORST thing to say to someone who is losing weight!!!!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    My boss's boss: "You look different somehow....... new glasses?"
    Me: "Same glasses. It's probably the sixty five pounds I lost....."

I had someone from my fiancee's family who I haven't seen since LAST Christmas hug me, step back, and then hug me again and exclaim "You feel skinnier!"

I have also been told "you're going to fall through your *kitten*!" Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

The only one I really hate is when people demand to know your "secret." They never want to hear the "diet, exercise, and patience" response.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the weight loss ticker in this post. All of you people are just awesome and I am proud to be part of your community.

My aunt, bless her heart. She is 5"2 and she is wider than she is taller. Every time she sees me, she tells me I look sick. OK, whatever.

At least two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. That means most people can't tell what a good weight is! You may have people ask you ignorant questions like, "Are you well or do you feel alright?" They may even tell you you don't look so good. Worst of all, you may start believing them, especially if the weight continues to fall past what you expect to be your best weight.

All of you - keep doing what you are doing, because what you are doing is working. Let your body respond and tell you what is right!! Cheers!!!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The "strangest" weight loss comments...one girl cld not get it out of her mouth--she just kept saying, "OMG"
    another would be a former co-worker who I ran into at the mall just kept saying OVER AND OVER AGAIN, "you've lost weight. a lot of weight. a lot of weight. a lot of weight..." LOL

LMAO. Classic. People are so odd. But seriously that is beautiful that you have experienced that and the success! Go you!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Um...thanks for the insight.

Doing.
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get good ones and bad ones. The best come from ppl I haven't seen for years...Wow! you look amazing! And ppl at my gym....April you look great! You are truly inspiring! Love when those comments come from thin ppl that were never over weight :)
    The worst come from family..if you get any smaller your gonna be a stick! No on realizes how hard we have worked for this!

I think what happens is that people are faced with their own failures and reality. You changing can be uncomfortable for them. I don't know these people obviously, but perhaps when you were heavier they felt better about themselves (in comparison to you). Now you have changed, maybe they haven't and perhaps they are beginning to feel jealous or inferior. They project that back on to you by discouraging you from going any further. Ignore the negative comments. It's sabbotage! You have worked so hard for your success. If you are healthy, that's all that matters. The old you is more familiar, more comfortable for them but that's their problem not yours. Keep taking care of you.
  • gianamicole
    gianamicole Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    people asking if I am sick...I tell them yes...of being fat.

HAHAHA made my day :)
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have received many positive comments. It has become almost embarrassing at times. You look younger, less tired, so much healthier etc. I don't mind those (because I know the extra weight made me look older and tired and unhealthy) but I'm not terribly comfortable being in the spotlight either.

The ones that bother me are the "be careful, you don't want to lose too much weight", "you're wasting away" or "you're getting so skinny". I am not skinny. I'm still 50+ lbs overweight and by the BMI chart still obese. They just don't know me any other way. They don't know the person who's been hiding under all the fat. They've only known "fat me" I had lost a significant amount of weight in the past and one of my family members was very concerned about my health, which by the way had NEVER been better. Funny that she was never concerned when I was overweight about my risk of obesity related diseases.

The one I HATE most is "Look at you! I'm so jealous!" this implies that it's been easy or has just "happened" to me. Don't be jealous, it's been hard work and a huge commitment. Eating healthier and moving, moving, moving all the time. I'm not doing anything they can't do so the jealous comment really bugs me.

I want to say "don't be jealous. You can experience your own success. All you have to do is clean up your diet, journal everything you eat - everyday and exercise - A LOT! You just have to want it badly enough."

There are no magic pills, no secrets here. Diet and exercise...we've always known this but people don't want to hear that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!