Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "You've lost a lot of weight! Did you start taking drugs or something?" - Rude comment from a regular costumer I was serving at the restaurant I work at.

It bothered me quite a bit, but I try to ignore the negative comments I get from ignorant people now. I put in the time and hard work. Why should I even try to explain to stupid people that I got off my *kitten* and worked for it? Haha.

Because waiting tables supports a drug habit....said nobody ever!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Bump! love this thread.

I don't think I've had any strange ones, but EVERYONE tells me the typical "well, you don't want to get too skinny" "Don't lose much more" All coming from people with high bodyfat percentages.

These comments were made when my bodyfat percentage was around 29-30%!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Lets see: My grandmother was the sweetest lady. She did say some interesting things. One thing she said is I have such a better personality after I lost weight:) Another things she said is that when I was overweight, I was just big "all over."
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    I haven't even nearly got there yet, but I think sometimes people feel vaguely threatened when their fat friends get thin, like it somehow gives them someone to feel not as bad as. They probably also feel insecure as it's such a massive achievement that they might feel inadequate that they've not done something so huge.

I have a friend who'll jokingly say "*****" if I say I've lost weight, but I've got like 5 stone to lose, she's already slim and fit, it's a bit weird lol
  • dani22105
    dani22105 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    About 25 lbs down, my coworker who has always been judgmental, told me, "I just can't see it. I know you say your scrubs are much looser but I just can't see it. You look the same."

I don't listen to negative comments like that. Everyone else has told me so many wonderful, positive comments. "You look skinner!" "Keep it up Danielle, I can totally see it in your abdomen and face."

Don't worry so much on what the negatives have to say. You feel skinnier, you better act like it :) Give yourself the confidence boost you need to be the BEST you can be, today and every day!.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I saw my sister recently after dropping 12 pounds and putting on some muscle and she asked me if I was going through a mid-life crisis. Thanks for the support, Sis.

Maybe I am, but isn't it good I'm turning it into a good thing? Or at least I didn't go out and buy a tiny little very expensive sports car I can't afford...
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    when I went to log in at the YMCA and they told me a needed a new ID because I looked so different!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have a main office that I work at most of the time, and two other offices in two other towns that I'm only at occasionally. I hadn't been to the Rio Rancho office since early November (a bit unusual because I used to be there at least once every week or two). I don't have to go through the security point as I have a pass to get in through a private door. As I was walking down the hall to my office and started to put my key in the door, the door down the hall burst open with 3 of our security personnel coming quickly at me ...they were almost all the way to me (with my eyes bugging out) and they slowed up and the lead security said, "holy ****...Mr. Wolf, that you?" I was just glad they realized before slamming me to the ground. They saw me approaching my office on the security monitors and didn't recognize me without my fat suit on...or much less of a fat suit anyways.

Lol, this could've turned into a dead guy NSV!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to workout." Um... right. I'll just sit on my couch all night and watch TV.

I get that all the time, makes no sense eh?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance told me that I have the body of a twelve year old boy. Oh well.
  • GDio
    GDio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A co-worker said I lost weight in my neck. Never heard that one before.
  • Jen800
    Options
    some people are just silly :P
  • Jen800
    Options
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good one - I like that
  • bertabird
    bertabird Posts: 52
    Options
    The strangest? Conversation between my husbands' friend and me: "So, Don tells me you've lost 85 pounds?" "Yep. Eighty-five pounds as of yesterday." "Wow! That's a lot of weight." "Yep, and I feel great!" "Yeah. You look great too! In fact, you wanna go out to dinner next week?" "Uh... you inviting Don and me out to dinner?" "Nope. Just you." "Uh, thanks, but I don't think so." "Why not? You're hot, I'm hot, we're hot." "Noooo... I'm not "hot" and uh... neither are you. Your also stupid and won't be around next week anyways." "What? "Why?" "Because, when my husband hears about this, you won't be a friend of his anymore and you might possibly be in the hospital with a broken face and a deflated ego." He was never put in the hospital, but we haven't seen him in 2 weeks. ;o) (I didn't get on MFP until after I had lost about 20 pounds - hence the number difference on the ticker)
  • alexthegreekone
    Options
    "You look like the person who used to live inside you!"
  • lizcouty
    lizcouty Posts: 2
    Options
    After I'd lost almost 40 lbs, someone asked me how much more I wanted to lose. I told him I wanted to lose another 40 lbs, and he told me I'd never be able to do it. :/
  • iamsharla
    Options
    I was at my Ex mother-in-law's funeral and was chatting with my Ex husband and his wife (strange, I know...we get along fabulously). My ex's brother came up and asked me if I went to school with my Ex and his wife. I had to remind him who I was...he was so embarrassed. The last time I saw him was 3 years prior and I was about 30lbs heavier. I know, it isn't exactly a strange comment, but it was a strange situation/conversation. We had a good laugh about it.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was always a chubby kid, and around middle school my grandpa started commenting on this. Obsessing over it, really. I didn't see him often but he started to comment on it and lecture me every time he saw me and it made me really upset. 'Cause middle school girls tend to have really high self exteem :grumble:

Then in high school I lost a lot. Honestly I wasn't doing it very healthfully but I was hardly anorexic, but once or twice he accused me of being so. Then he'd see me at the same damn weight and tell me I was fat again. This kept up until he passed away when I was in college no matter what weight I was.

My mom's kind of taken that over. I've come to expect some comment on my weight first thing when I come home to visit although it's always positive since I've been pretty much maintaining.

I don't have much left to lose so I don't expect to get many more comments. At this point my appearance isn't going to look a whole lot different to those who only every see me in clothes :bigsmile:
  • SiaraAnne
    SiaraAnne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been slightly overweight for most of the last 10 years. The first time I decided to lose a little weight was before my first year of high school (surprise! gained it all back and then some in the four years since I graduated), but when I got there, everyone that knew me before asked if I was bulimic or anorexic, as if there was no way I could have just worked hard.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!