Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• CorinneSharpe
    Options
    I ran into a girl that I had gone to high school with... she went, "Hey!! When did you get cute!?!"

Uhm - thanks!? And she was so serious about it.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Last Spring, my husband and I had both lost about 30 lbs. (I started in Mar 11 and he started in Jan 12 ~ jerk only took 4 months!! LOL). . .this gal at our church comes up to us and said "I have started referring to you guys as the Incredible Shrinking Couple." All I could do was giggle as I figured that was the response she was looking for.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of people doing double takes because they don't recognize me right away. But I also get people who know I've lost weight who will freak out if they see me eating a piece of cake or a grilled cheese sandwich and declare loudly that I'm going to get fat again as if all 80+ pounds are going to spontaneously appear overnight from one piece of cake. (And usually these are people who have no business judging MY food choices.)
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm down 40 lbs now from what I was a year ago, and all any of my girlfriends seem to comment on is the fact that my chest looks considerably larger without quite as much belly fat. My guy friends all play it safe and just say that I look "healthier." lol. I love them.
  • gwenette
    Options
    okay this come from my sisters boyfriend--a few years ago i had lost alot of weight which i gained back--thats why im here. But anyway two years after my weight loss we were going around the room saying what we were thankful for on thanksgiving he chimes in "im thankful angie gained some weight back she was starting too look like a crack ho!" I almost passed out!!!! looking back i did look bad i had gotten too thin but at the time i still thought i had about 15 to go..ooopsss
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The weirdest was when I went to a Halloween party that a couple I know was throwing, after not having seen them for about 6 months. The husband passed me, then stopped, backtracked and said very seriously, "Whoa. I totally almost didn't recognize you. Where's the rest of you?.... I hope you didn't lose your sense of humor with the rest of you." And then he walked off.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A guy I was seeing said that I looked like a banana (kind of relating it to my screen name). I wasn't really sure where he was going with that comment....he said that was a good thing I looked like a banana because it means I'm tall and thin! And so that if anyone ever says I look like a banana that they are complimenting me! I was shocked as hell....no one has EVER called me THIN. But hey, I was flattered! I still would not describe my body type as "banana". And at least he didn't call me an avocado or something ugly and unflattering! lol
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to workout." Um... right. I'll just sit on my couch all night and watch TV.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was told you look so thin (are you sick).
  • wendybird5
    Options
    Neighbor,
    How much more are you planning to lose? I said 90 pounds and she said, "You don't want to get too thin..." People don't get that I'm still 301! They guess I'm between 220 and 240...

I can relate to your neighbor a bit on this one. My dad was always a big guy and when I got older, he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and had to go on a strict diet. When I saw him six months later, I kind of freaked out because after being so used to him being so round, the sight of him so much thinner made him look almost sickly to me. I think it's just a matter of perspective because the difference can seem so drastic that you're certain that the amount lost is much more than it is.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I was just asked by a family friend "You getting skinny?" I said, "Yes, I've lost a bit" and he said "what do you want to do that for?" I said, "To be healthy and sexy." He said, "You didn't think you were before?" He meant it in a very sincere way and with no negativity so it didn't bother me.

What got me started this time around was when my grandfather said "You look like you've put on some weight. You should take care of that." It was his 90th birthday party and my brother over heard and asked what he had said. I told him "Grandpa just said I was fat." My brother replied, "well he told me I was a bad driver." We had a good laugh about it.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "OMG YOU ARE SO EMACIATED! YOU LOOK LIKE A STARVING AFRICAN CHILD!"

I'm really not that skinny (and don't think I could ever be "skinny" in the traditional sense - too many curves). See pic. Emaciated?!?!? Starving African child?! How is that a compliment?!
  • Kbanning82
    Kbanning82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You do look great! Keep up your lifestyle...your body will stop when it is time to stop! Congrats!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Wow 1lb to go. It must feel terrific!:happy:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

I also had a cousin say "how are you losing so much weight? It's crack right?" (CLEARLY joking...)

I decided that if I ever get asked how I lost weight, I was going to say it was because "masturbating burns a lot of calories." Just because I've had people ask me that before and they got upset when I said eating better and exercising.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Someone said "you are looking skinny." Thanks, I said, I've lost 30lbs so I'm about halfway to my goal now. she said "What?! We don't want to look straight through you!" I just laughed and walked away.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    In 1979, I lost 99 pounds. In January of 1980, my husband and I adopted a baby. Several people who saw me with our new son comments, "That's right. You were pregnant, when I saw you last."

Another woman who had worked with me a few years earlier saw me on the street. When I said Hi, she said, "Do I know you?" I told my name, but she kept saying..."No. You're not Sue. I know her, and you're not Sue!" She refused to believe me, even when I told her that I had lost almost 100 pounds. She walked away, think that I was crazy or just playing a rude joke on her.

Of course, I didn't really recognize myself at that time. One day I went shopping for clothes, something that I always hated to do. A sales lady gave me a dress and asked me to try it on, because she thought that I was picking out clothes that were too big for me. I put on the dress in a change room...then, looked in the full length mirror. My thought was, "That dress sure looks good on HER." Somehow, I couldn't even relate to that lady in the mirror. I didn't buy the dress. I bought something baggy instead...to cover up what I thought was my fat body. I could not accept my new body and mentally still saw myself 99 pounds heavier. Sad but true.

Months later, a friend gave me some of her clothes, which she could no longer wear, because she had gain some weight. That was, when I finally realized that I was 'smaller than her', and I always thought that she was thin. It finally dawned on me...I am the lady in the mirror.
  • lisa9803
    Options
    I once made a joke (to my wife while at a family event) that I'd lost so much weight that I could take off my jeans without unbuttoning them. Apparently my Mother overheard this and said, "Nu-uh! I want to see you do that!"

Cue awkward silence.

lol...that's a good one :)
  • wendybird5
    Options

I decided that if I ever get asked how I lost weight, I was going to say it was because "masturbating burns a lot of calories." Just because I've had people ask me that before and they got upset when I said eating better and exercising.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "You've lost weight, you only have one chin now!"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!