Texas hospital bans obese workers?

Options

Replies

• TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be told to quit smoking by a smoker and I don't want to be told to lose weight by someone fatter than me. A BMI of 35 is still obese, just not morbidly obese. I agree with this rule.

Just because a person doesn't necessarily do what they should, doesn't mean they are unable to offer valid/important advice. If that were the case, there is no point in listening to what most of the users on this site have to say. There are many people who know the right thing to do, but have challenges/obstacles in doing what they know they should (or haven't quite gotten there yet).

With this type of logic, there would be no one to coach professional/olympic athletes; I'm pretty sure some of those guys are fatter or unable to do what the people they are coaching are able to do (should the athletes not listen to their nutrition/technique advice?).
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    @ SkinnyBubba

I actually agreed with you until you posted those pictures. Were they really necessary? They had absolutely nothing to do with the question.
    Have to say that I'm in the camp with those who have no problem with this - and that is coming from someone who lives in Texas and whose BMI would not, currently, make the grade.

When my wife's mother was dying of emphysema, it perplexed her to no end that the nurses who were monitoring her mom's lung machine were the same ones ducking out for a quick smoke during their break time.

Same thing applies to me as a (currently) morbidly obese middle aged man. It never held much weight to me (no pun intended) to be getting nutritional and weight loss advice from a practitioner who was in the same boat as myself or even worse shape.

No apologies, but the advice just rings more true to me if it is coming from a source that is practicing what they preach.

Let's face it, how many of us here would be comfortable at the dentist's office if the smile coming back to us from the other side of the chair looked something like this?:

[img][/img]

or this?:

[img][/img]

Seriously, they could be the best dentist on the planet but I would imagine that there is not a single one of us here that would trust a word of what they said if the smiles above came from our dentist.

The issue is not different if applied to your nurse or doctor.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @ SkinnyBubba

I actually agreed with you until you posted those pictures. Were they really necessary? They had absolutely nothing to do with the question.

I would argue that those dental pictures have everything to do with the question.

Demonstrates quite effectively the double-standard that most of us would be outraged if our dentist's own actions were so blatantly incongruous to what they preach but that it is considered prejudiced for us to expect the same degree of standards from our nurses or doctors?
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    There are more and even better indicators of general health than BMI. However, we have to have a standard of measure for all to be fair, and statisticall, obesity will win out over family history or any other health factor. Like any other wide change, we have to start with this generation to effect future ones. By having criteria like these, we'll be forced to get the information and teach our children how to eat and move. Unfortunately, there's gotta be collateral damage with folks today.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    this is probably a big generalization but i know so so many nurses. and this is just nurses that know: 90% of them and smoke 90% are majorly overweight. I don’t understand it. maybe it’s just an Minnesota anomaly? but If you find a nurse here that isn’t over weight and doesn’t smoke it’s kind of a rare thing.

It's true here in Chicago too, and has always confused me.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't think many of those posting have read the report. The company is not suggesting that obese workers can't do their jobs well, but that their customers won't like to look at them:

. “The majority of our patients are over 65, and they have expectations that cannot be ignored in terms of personal appearance."

They are basing their policy on the perceived prejudices of their clients, which is a horrific way to behave. In France a large cosmetic company got in huge trouble for the same kind of behaviour: they decided they wanted their reps to look more 'French', because that was what their clients would want. Fortunately, such bias based on race is illegal.

I work in a private school. I was educated in the State sector. Some of my pupils have a huge prejudice against their State educated peers. Should my employer act on this prejudice and only employ privately educated teachers?

I could support a policy based in health and safety, but never in pure prejudice like this is.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    How about doctors? Ihave seen plenty who are overweight and/or smoke. Can they not practice?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't care what a nurse or doctor looks like. Period. If they're nice to me and do their job well, that's all I care about. I actually feel more comfortable around a nurse who's a little squishy, sort of like feeling more comfortable with a female OB/GYN.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think many of those posting have read the report. The company is not suggesting that obese workers can't do their jobs well, but that their customers won't like to look at them:

. “The majority of our patients are over 65, and they have expectations that cannot be ignored in terms of personal appearance."

They are basing their policy on the perceived prejudices of their clients, which is a horrific way to behave. In France a large cosmetic company got in huge trouble for the same kind of behaviour: they decided they wanted their reps to look more 'French', because that was what their clients would want. Fortunately, such bias based on race is illegal.

I work in a private school. I was educated in the State sector. Some of my pupils have a huge prejudice against their State educated peers. Should my employer act on this prejudice and only employ privately educated teachers?

I could support a policy based in health and safety, but never in pure prejudice like this is.

We all support free choice - as long as it is something we agree with! I also work in education (public) and have received degrees from both public and private universities. It is *known* that some teacher education universities have more prestige and those graduates are more likely to be quickly employed upon graduation.

Public school teachers must pass certain tests to teach in the state of their choice. This applies to those coveted-teacher-university students and to the local state university teacher grads. While passing these tests does not ensure a good teacher, it ensures a basic required knowledge that must be present in teachers. Graduation from a prestigious teacher university ensures they have been taught HOW to teach. That might be biased, but most schools want the most teacher *bang* for their buck, so I can't fault them.

Just as there are guidelines (exams) for teachers, there are healthy BMI ranges for a reason. National Institutes of Health (NIH) shares how obesity while causing health issues, shortens a lifespan by up to 20 years... Why should an employer take on a risky employee vs one who is proactive in their lifestyle?

Lastly, I DID read that it was felt that patients did not want to see obese healthcare professionals. One district I worked for (public) actually had detailed instruction that employees would wear "proper" foundation garments under their clothes. (Yes, there were obese women) and no one wants to see that not properly supported. I will add that I currently have a fellow staff member (not overweight) who wears NO undergarment and the visual is equally offensive. Point being, I believe that employers have the right to decide what they want from their employees, what visual representation they want, and what risks they are willing to take (or not take) by hiring an obese person.

Everyone wants to be a victim and hear ka-ching, let the cash register ring. For the people on this forum (myself included) if I was happy with my weight. eating habits and overall health, I wouldn't be on this site. I find it curious that some of the most vocal on this topic have lost quite a bit of weight (and are in well-deserved progress)... That tells me that people DO understand that obesity affects their health, and their ability to function. Otherwise, why would we make a lifestyle change?
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not outraged by this, If you can't take care of yourself in this field and it effects your ability to do your job compared to a healthier individual why should you be entitled to the position. The hospital doesn't owe you a position. Not to mention hospirals often gives great medical insurance coverage to their employees, if you don't think company's are not going to start being penalized for offering coverage to people who don't take care of themselves you'd be wrong. Fact is if you have 2 applicants to a position that requires you to be active, one is out if shape and unhealthy the other a healthier individual, in the healthcare industry mind you, which one do you think you should hire. This is just the beginning of the health care industry as well as other industries being proactive against this issue. I'm a student nurse.

I have to disagree with you here. I have been a nurse for 28 years and you know...I am an excellent nurse. I am very good at what I do...and I am not any better now than I was 100 pounds ago. Hospitals don't do enough to help their employees stay fit in my opinion. Sure, they have all these "get healthy advice" programs...but yet when you go to the hospital cafeteria absolutely everything except the lettuce is not fried or drowning in gravy. I take my lunch because it is nearly impossible to get something there that is drowning in fat and carbs. And...it is very rare that a hospital "gives" you great medical coverage. I have excellent insurance to be sure for me and my hubby...I also pay around 160 dollars every two weeks for that coverage. The hospital pays a percentage of it, but it is not free.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    @ SkinnyBubba

I would argue that those dental pictures have everything to do with the question.

Demonstrates quite effectively the double-standard that most of us would be outraged if our dentist's own actions were so blatantly incongruous to what they preach but that it is considered prejudiced for us to expect the same degree of standards from our nurses or doctors?

I agree with Bubba.

And once again people this is NOT about the ABILITY to do a job. It is about the confidence we as patience feel. Like it or not, offended or not, this is reality.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I think it's stupid to use BMI to determine if someone is fit for working in healthcare.

That being said, I know someone in school for a job in healthcare that is morbidly obese and physically unable to perform chest compressions in an effective manner. Something as simple as repositioning someone in bed is a monumental task for him and transfers are downright impossible. Sure, he may never have to administer CPR, he may get really lucky and always have someone around that can do it for him, but if my loved one was coding, I wouldn't want to roll the dice or waste precious time waiting for him to find someone to stand in the gap.

I think it should certainly be a case by case basis, but if your weight leaves you physically unable to perform your job, it is an issue.

It's one of the reasons I know I have to get a handle on my health before it spins even further out of my control. I would feel like a big (pun intended) hypocrite if I made no effort to improve.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    BMI is a ridiculous and outdated measurement of anything. It doesn't take into account muscle mass or body fat at all. Dumbdadumbdumbdumb.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am pretty surprised to hear other nurses blame the cafeteria and their employers for lack of fitness. To me, that is on spot with blaming McDonalds for being fat. We all face choices every single day of our lives, whether at home, on the road, or at work. Okay, so your cafeteria doesn't offer your ideal healthy meal - are you not allowed to bring your own? If that is the case, then I support your cause, but if not, what is stopping you from bringing a healthy meal? I know you said your bring your lunch, Onaughmae, so how is it the job of our employers to ensure we eat well? Other places of employment don't have cafeterias or gyms, etc. I don't know, I just don't see it as the job of the employer. And if it is a private company, they can hire whomever they see fit. I can see this becoming an issue if it is a state or federally funded hospital.

Edit - I totally agree, Manda. BMI is an inappropriate measure of fitness. But I can certainly understand why a hospital would not want to hire obese nurses for the reasons you just named. It does happen. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but in my experience, it is difficult for obese nurses to perform on the same level - physically - as other nurses.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    And once again people this is NOT about the ABILITY to do a job. It is about the confidence we as patience feel. Like it or not, offended or not, this is reality.

We *patients* don't all feel that way, though. As some of us have already said, we don't care about how a doctor or nurse looks, as long as they perform their job well and show compassion.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I think it's stupid to use BMI to determine if someone is fit for working in healthcare.

That being said, I know someone in school for a job in healthcare that is morbidly obese and physically unable to perform chest compressions in an effective manner. Something as simple as repositioning someone in bed is a monumental task for him and transfers are downright impossible. Sure, he may never have to administer CPR, he may get really lucky and always have someone around that can do it for him, but if my loved one was coding, I wouldn't want to roll the dice or waste precious time waiting for him to find someone to stand in the gap.

I think it should certainly be a case by case basis, but if your weight leaves you physically unable to perform your job, it is an issue.

It's one of the reasons I know I have to get a handle on my health before it spins even further out of my control. I would feel like a big (pun intended) hypocrite if I made no effort to improve.

My daughter is a nurse, 5 feet tall, and weighs 104. She's tiny. She has to stand on a stepstool to do compressions. She can't turn a 300 lb. person by herself. So should they fire HER?
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I have to say I am pretty surprised to hear other nurses blame the cafeteria and their employers for lack of fitness. To me, that is on spot with blaming McDonalds for being fat. We all face choices every single day of our lives, whether at home, on the road, or at work. Okay, so your cafeteria doesn't offer your ideal healthy meal - are you not allowed to bring your own? If that is the case, then I support your cause, but if not, what is stopping you from bringing a healthy meal? I know you said your bring your lunch, Onaughmae, so how is it the job of our employers to ensure we eat well? Other places of employment don't have cafeterias or gyms, etc. I don't know, I just don't see it as the job of the employer. And if it is a private company, they can hire whomever they see fit. I can see this becoming an issue if it is a state or federally funded hospital.

Edit - I totally agree, Manda. BMI is an inappropriate measure of fitness. But I can certainly understand why a hospital would not want to hire obese nurses for the reasons you just named. It does happen. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but in my experience, it is difficult for obese nurses to perform on the same level - physically - as other nurses.

OK then -- address the stress level that hospitals place on nurses with high nurse-to-patient ratios, and short lunch breaks -- especially for those working 12s, those working grave and swing or rotating days and grave.

The average age of nurses is 44.5, with the median age of 46. This means that there are a lot of nurses working in their 50s and 60s, after many years of stress and unhealthy working conditions. Promoting healthy conditions within the workplace means that fewer nurses will become obese.

The alternative, to keep the unhealthy environment means you'll use 'em up and kick 'em out...in favor of new grads whom they can pay less, who will then not get to be mentored by people who have had extensive experience.
  • Nurseblondy
    Options
    I am a senior in nursing school now and am appaled by how many of our instructors are not just overweight but obese. I feel it's kind of ironic that you can have such a huge nutrional knowledge base and let yourself become so overweight. I think the hospital has the right to bann overweight workers applications at least as far as physcians, nurses and medical staff go. Not enough time is just an excuse. You can bring healthy fruits and veggies and keep them stocked in the break room. Most hopitals DO serve extremely healthy foods and list the calories on the meals. I eat there most days so I absolutely know our hospital does a great job with serving nutritionaly sound meals.

I have a huge problem with an obese nurse teaching a patient about the DASH diet or any nutrition/diet for that matter. If you cannot maintain a healthy life, how do you expect your patient's to take your teachings seriousyl?!?
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

My daughter is a nurse, 5 feet tall, and weighs 104. She's tiny. She has to stand on a stepstool to do compressions. She can't turn a 300 lb. person by herself. So should they fire HER?

That's apples and oranges. But if someone has a physical condition height/weight/whatever that keeps them from performing a job function, perhaps they should choose something else as a career, especially when lives hang in the balance. I'm not saying your daughter isn't a great nurse or that she's been unable to adapt, I'm sure she is effective in her job or she wouldn't be employed. And that's kind of the point.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

They should probably put her in pediatrics.

My husband is a buff man, very muscular. If I took him into an ER for what ever reason, who EVER is there to do chest compressions on him better be able to do them on him or they will not worry about needing to be fired.