should you really eat ALL your calories from excercise back?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    please read article and then post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satiety

What exactly does that have to do with eating the right amount of calories and nutition for your bodie's activities?

I could get full eating a tonne of broccolli, but I wouldn't have got in my daily nutrition/protein/fats etc.

I totally agree with this ^^^ and forget even EATING anything. I could drink a bunch of water and feel full, but I would still be starving myself if that's all I consumed. Also, I can't be the only person who has gotten overweight because I didn't always understand my hunger/full cues. Why would those cues tell the truth now when I am trying to lose weight, if they didn't tell the truth when I was gaining it?

if your body is functionally probable no matter how much water you drank you would still be hungry

Look up ghrelin and leptin

plz read article i wrote
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    It is important to not to have too large of a deficit to minimize the negative impact of weight loss, that may include risk of loss of LBM (which can be mitigated to a large degree with strength training and adequate protein), hormonal disruption, metabolic adaptation, lower gym performance, possible lack of sufficient nutrients, lack of adherence and generally being grumpy. As noted above however, the ‘best’ deficit for an individual will depend on personal circumstances and also their sensitivity to large deficits. From my personal experience, when I got down to about a 22% BF%, I could not handle deficits of much more than about 10% on average as my gym performance suffers and I tend to whine and pout at that stage. Others may be perfectly OK on a 20% cut at that BF%.

large deficit plz quantify.

risks
    1. loss of LBM (can be mitigated)
    2. hormonal disruption
    3. metabolic adaptation
    4. lower gym performance
    5. possible lack of sufficient nutrients
    6. lack of adherence
    7. generally being grumpy

risk 1 solution already posted
    risk 2 eat minimum fat macro avoid problem
    3. not sure on this one pretty much screwed
    4.lower gym performance doesnt matter for health and body comp pretty much irrelevant. good bye gainzz
    5. lack of micro nutrients short term doesnt matter long term serious health affects hopefully you are eating your veggies
    6. & 7. will probably be hungry if they occur and if not its a clear sign for even the most incompitent people they are not eating enough

back to original question

i have 1000 calories 'spare'after burning 800 ish calories today.

So what is the consensus? Try my damndest to eat them back, or let this be an under day and eat higher calorie food tomorrow?

does not mention hungry pains, does not mention health problems, does not mention lack of energy, does not mention lack of gym performance, does not mention diet at all,does not mention intake for any macros.

my answer still is the same no need to eat them back.

Really, you don't think they are an issue?

Short term - no, 1. Long term - you seem to agree - yes. I don't think anyone is arguing that one day here and there is an issue.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Here is the way I chose to use MFP...
    Set my activity level to sedentary, set goal of 1lb/week loss. Eat back ALL exercise calories.

Used my HRM to record exercise above sedentary levels - including daily walk to/from station, including calories burned from "activity" only if it gave a significant burn (e.g. 2 hours of strenuous gardening or wood cutting), includes cardio, includes HRM figures from weight training (even though I recognise this won't be accurate).

Whole idea was to be consistent. After a month a found I needed to manually increase deficit from 3,500 to 4,500 per week to account for any inaccuracies in food logging or exercise calories.

My daily activity/exercise varies enormously from day to day which is why the TDEE minus a percentage method didn't appeal.

For me the two keys things are to be consistent and to chose a sustainable, steady rate of loss.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    please read article and then post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satiety

What exactly does that have to do with eating the right amount of calories and nutition for your bodie's activities?

I could get full eating a tonne of broccolli, but I wouldn't have got in my daily nutrition/protein/fats etc.

I totally agree with this ^^^ and forget even EATING anything. I could drink a bunch of water and feel full, but I would still be starving myself if that's all I consumed. Also, I can't be the only person who has gotten overweight because I didn't always understand my hunger/full cues. Why would those cues tell the truth now when I am trying to lose weight, if they didn't tell the truth when I was gaining it?

if your body is functionally probable no matter how much water you drank you would still be hungry

Look up ghrelin and leptin

plz read article i wrote
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    It is important to not to have too large of a deficit to minimize the negative impact of weight loss, that may include risk of loss of LBM (which can be mitigated to a large degree with strength training and adequate protein), hormonal disruption, metabolic adaptation, lower gym performance, possible lack of sufficient nutrients, lack of adherence and generally being grumpy. As noted above however, the ‘best’ deficit for an individual will depend on personal circumstances and also their sensitivity to large deficits. From my personal experience, when I got down to about a 22% BF%, I could not handle deficits of much more than about 10% on average as my gym performance suffers and I tend to whine and pout at that stage. Others may be perfectly OK on a 20% cut at that BF%.

large deficit plz quantify.

risks
    1. loss of LBM (can be mitigated)
    2. hormonal disruption
    3. metabolic adaptation
    4. lower gym performance
    5. possible lack of sufficient nutrients
    6. lack of adherence
    7. generally being grumpy

risk 1 solution already posted
    risk 2 eat minimum fat macro avoid problem
    3. not sure on this one pretty much screwed
    4.lower gym performance doesnt matter for health and body comp pretty much irrelevant. good bye gainzz
    5. lack of micro nutrients short term doesnt matter long term serious health affects hopefully you are eating your veggies
    6. & 7. will probably be hungry if they occur and if not its a clear sign for even the most incompitent people they are not eating enough

back to original question

i have 1000 calories 'spare'after burning 800 ish calories today.

So what is the consensus? Try my damndest to eat them back, or let this be an under day and eat higher calorie food tomorrow?

does not mention hungry pains, does not mention health problems, does not mention lack of energy, does not mention lack of gym performance, does not mention diet at all,does not mention intake for any macros.

my answer still is the same no need to eat them back.

Really, you don't think they are an issue?

Short term - no, 1. Long term - you seem to agree - yes. I don't think anyone is arguing that one day here and there is an issue.

gym performance does not matter for a non athlete trying to lose weight obviously mostly fat. IMHO no it doesn't matter, every bodybuilder i know experiences a loss in strength on a cut and it doesn't affect body comp.Obviously a loss in gym performance is not ideal.

thoughts???
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

wikipedia is about as credible as myfitnesspal.

oh look, i just edited the wikipedia page you just posted.

Best thing I have read all week.

I love you.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    metabolic adaptation is an issue

not sure on fix.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

gym performance does not matter for a non athlete trying to lose weight obviously mostly fat. IMHO no it doesn't matter, every bodybuilder i know experiences a loss in strength on a cut and it doesn't affect body comp.Obviously a loss in gym performance is not ideal.

thoughts???

Gym performance is more than for body builders. There are more forms of exercise than lifting and more people than body builders that lift. People on a deficit want to be able to preserve as much LBM as possible - lifting is a way to do that and many people do that without wanting to become body builders or power lifters.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wall of text removed -

A one day giant deficit does not matter - research does show metabolic adjustments will occur in 48-72 hr gaps on average. On average. Therefore, I would suggest that 2-4 large days of large deficit are less than ideal.

I think you both agree on that point.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

thoughts???

Gym performance is more than for body builders. There are more forms of exercise than lifting and more people than body builders that lift. People on a deficit want to be able to preserve as much LBM as possible - lifting is a way to do that and many people do that without wanting to become body builders or power lifters.

how does it relate to body comp, and/or does it?

low gym performance
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wall of text removed -

A one day giant deficit does not matter - research does show metabolic adjustments will occur in 48-72 hr gaps on average. On average. Therefore, I would suggest that 2-4 large days of large deficit are less than ideal.

I think you both agree on that point.

I do at least.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    All this depends greatly on your weight. At 300lbs I could have a huge deficit. Your body will burn fat if your very big. Now at 214lbs and I eat 1700. My TDEEs are regularly 3000+ the lower your weights gets the more you need to eat. That's a hard concept but true.

I found going up to 1700 tricky as I didn't want to increase my carbs above 120g. Google calorie dense foods. Nuts, avocado, Hummus all have fats but good fats!

You calorie goal does seem a little low. When given my calories of a NHS dietitian I was told if I felt hungry or weak to eat more... I was fine for a while but weakness did kick in eventually.

Maybe look at going up a couple if hundred and see how you feel. I'm 85lbs down now and listening to my body hasn't failed me. Sick after major surgery last year on bed rest for 3 months or more I gained 1lb so no my metabolism didn't die 1000 deaths. Do what you feel is good for your body. Every single person is different.

Just my view on it and what I have been taught and it hasn't failed me yet!

Zara
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

thoughts???

low gym performance

OK, I am not derailing this thread anymore - I explained how it relates and it is not all about body comp anyway. If you want further thoughts on this you can ask me via PM but something tells me you really do not want them.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

thoughts???

low gym performance

OK, I am not derailing this thread anymore - I explained how it relates and it is not all about body comp anyway. If you want further thought on this you can ask me via PM but something tells me you really do not want my them.

IMO gym performance is a non issue for anyone but an athlete, but you disagree obviously i don't understand why. how does gym performance affect someone trying to lose weight?
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    I generally eat them back and I think life would be quite miserable if I didn't exercise and eat back my calories. I have no idea how people can stick to 1200ish and eat three meals!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If I am losing weight, then I don't. But if for instance I go over my calories, it is a great bufferzone.

Not eating my exercise calories back while losing weight has never hurt me. However, when I am training for an event, such as a marathon, traithlon, I do. But that is a completely different stage.
  • seeashleysave
    seeashleysave Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This thread has given me a headache.

Log your food honestly. Measure everything. Eat back all of your exercise calories. 1,000 calories is not enough for any person to sustain. If you continue to eat at this level, you are more likely to binge, plateau more quickly, lose muscle mass, or get discouraged and quit.

Best of luck to you!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

thoughts???

low gym performance

OK, I am not derailing this thread anymore - I explained how it relates and it is not all about body comp anyway. If you want further thought on this you can ask me via PM but something tells me you really do not want my them.

IMO gym performance is a non issue for anyone but an athlete, but you disagree obviously i don't understand why. how does gym performance affect someone trying to lose weight?

Depends how you define athlete. Many people go to the gym or compete in their chosen sport/hobby. Even though their income doesn't depend on it, they still want to perform to the best of their ability, whether it's a lifting personal best, a running best time, a badminton or football game. There is no reason to sacrifice performance just because you are trying to lose weight.

A smaller deficit will ensure you have adequate nutrition to continue your activity and lose fat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

wikipedia is about as credible as myfitnesspal.

oh look, i just edited the wikipedia page you just posted.

Best thing I have read all week.

I love you.

happy-oh-stop-it-you-l.png
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Simply put, I'd say don't eat them ALL back if that puts you over your calorie goal for the day. While it's nice to see that one was 400
    + calories under, that's not a wise choice simply because your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories to function normally.
  • mrsricta
    Options
    I'm sorry to tell you that all that "scientific" stuff that you don't want to get too involved in is EXACTLY what you need to use to determine how much you should be eating and based on what activity level you use you will be able to determine if you should eat none, some or all of your exercise calories back. Simply setting you net calorie goal to 1200 like MFP seems to recommend FOR EVERYONE is not going to cut it. In the short term YES of course you will lose weight because you are basically starving yourself especially if you workout regularly. Your body will eventually fight you for every single ounce because it's HUNGRY! EAT!
  • TriciaLB
    Options
    Interesting, I've never heard that you should eat back the calories that you burn. I thought the point was NOT to eat them in order to create a calorie deficit.