What do you do while working out?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually listen to music. I like the mixes on Steady130, although I can't actually WALK that fast yet (I wish they did some 128 / 126 stuff), but I can almost elliptical fast enough to stay in tempo. I don't like the music at the gym much, and I know how long the mixes are, so my workout plus stretches is about a mix and a half (forty five minutes plus about twenty minutes) including cardio and cool down. I use the tempo (at half speed) to count for lifting reps as well; it's a hair longer than a second, but it's consistent and slow enough to work for me (I do four second "reps", which are likely more like five-six).

As for reading while you walk/bike whatever - it's really a matter of practice. For my entire adult life, I has ALWAYS read while walking outside in good weather - as a teen / YA, it was physical books, then a PalmPilot, then an iPhone, then a Blackberry PlayBook or my Torch. If you get used to it, it's NOT difficult to walk at 2.5-3.5 mph while reading AND listening to music (and usually chewing gum). And yes, there is considerable sweat involved, so it's not like I'm lollygagging.

Just saying. So DON'T assume that the person reading on the treadmill or the stationary isn't working hard enough for it to matter.

=Betty=
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lately i've been doing exercise videos at home or the elliptical at home. Exercise videos i'm just doing that, elliptical I watch tv.
  • Well there are some workouts i enjoy like pilates and running but other sports i do i really suffer in pain of the workout and i say to myself "no pain no gain" but i'm defenetly happy when the workout is done lol! i really trying to find music that gives me energy to keep going it's really helpful
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I hoist up the front of my shorts before I bend my knees to start a lift. That's about all I 'do' while working out. I'm ususally quite busy working out.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Reading while working out is ridiculous IMO if you're working hard enough you can't read. I don't do anything while I'm working out other than push push push.

I've tried to read during cardio....can't do it. Makes me nausesous lol. The gym I go to has televisions and headphones on each cardio machine. So I may watch something there. If not, I have pandora on my phone or my ipod.

Sorry but I have to agree with this. If you are working out hard, you would in no way be able to focus on a book at the same time, or at the very least, it would be incredibly difficult. I debated trying it today, but realised that if my mind were on the words of a book, rather than on pushing my legs as hard as I could, I would lose intensity to my workout and slow down. I would rather save the reading for when I am relaxing in a cafe, a park or my own home, and put all my mental energy into my workout for the hour-90 minutes I am doing it.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I read a textbook while doing cardio, nothing with the weight machines.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Listen to music there nothing like working out to the beat of a tune, not sure I could read a book while doing cardio as I don't think I'd put the same amount of effort in and isn't it all about the effort after all we all want results
  • Leurre
    Leurre Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am listening to audiobooks on MP3 while working out at the gym and to a trainer audio-recording while running outside.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I listen to action sequence tracks from movies or video games. It's usually from a movie or game I know well enough that I know what's happening during each track, so listening to them while running is actually pretty intense, haha.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Music while doing my cardio, Sports Talk Radio while lifting.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    Lately I've been listening to classic rock, which is a nice pace for me. Sometimes I'll put on stand up comedy, but found people looking at me when I'd literally laugh out loud. Every once in a great while I'll turn on a show, usually series since the machines at the Y have 30 minute limits. Its just the perfect amount of time.