"OMG how did you loose the weight?"

Options
I wanted to hear from others if they have noticed this along their weight loss journey. I had a baby last May, currently I am 13-15 pounds below my pre-preggo weight. My co-workers have seen me go from being huge while pregnant to where I'm at now, which by no means is tiny. Many people in the last week have commented to me how good I look and "what are you doing to loose weight," but does anyone ever notice that when you tell them that you are exercising and dieting, sometimes I get a look, like "oh there is no way I'm going to do that." It's like they want the answer that is the miracle cure for loosing weight.....no people good ol' fashioned diet and exercise!!!!!!!!

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just the other day someone at the gym asked me what diet I was following. Now, this persons ees me at the gym 4-5 times a week at the gym, and they know I swim 3 time a week, so they know I'm working my butt off. And they still ask what diet I'm on?! It just made me chuckle. But I just smiled and said I changed the way i was eating and got more active.

I think everyone looks for an easy fix - but the truth is that it's just d*mn hard work!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    just yesterday I had an acquaintance talk to me in detail about this "crazy diet" his wife put him on. He ate saltines and 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch! He asked me what I have been doing and when I told him he said, "yeah, I can't do that". Like icimani said, people just don't want to hear it - they want the special, quick fix then go back to eating like slobs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Completely. People want to hear that if you just take raspberry keytones, or green tea or green coffee or whatever other miracle pill, that the weight will magically drop off. As soon as I tell them that all I did was extract my @ss from the couch and stopped eating like a fraternity brother, their eyes glaze over and the "oh-I'm not doing that" look shows up.

Those same people will then try the special k diet or slimfast or something crazy and look at my giant plate of actual food and ask "how can you eat all that-aren't you on a diet?". Then their brains explode when I tell them no, I'm not on a diet and my giant plate of actual food has way fewer calories than the teeny "meal" bar or shake they just had. It's like people just can't believe that you can lose weight without doing crazy diets or magic pills.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    I'm jealous....

I can't wait for people to ask me! :)
  • ItsSamantha
    Options
    Lol i get that and they are like no seriously what did you do to lose the weight.Haha it took time to get it when i first started but yes good eating and working out did it!Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    vitaminddd

"extract my @ss from the couch" Nice way to put it! I'm going to use this, it made me laugh, because it is so true!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous....

I can't wait for people to ask me! :)

Me too! Love this thread, looking for preloaded answers for when it does happen to me lol.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump to read later!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm so matter of fact that I don't give people time to get the glazed over look ha ha

"I eat 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours." It was the truth! I lost the first 40 lbs
    only walking a little bit. The rest was diet.
  • jessocoppo
    Options
    yeah i think this is best way too loose weight, slowly! i don't want to feel hungry all the time because it makes me miserable. best to just do it nice and easy - if it takes me a year as long as the good habits stick!
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had someone the other day, who lost a lot after having their thyroid out, ask me how I did it, since she needs to firm up and has stalled, while stating" I can't exercise due to xyz, they can only walk." So I tell her about Walk away the pounds, but that is no good either, cause she doesn't like moving her arms around! really? Just shrugged my shoulders and thought" Good luck with that!!!!!"
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I changed my eating habits four 4 years ago, but didn't tell anyone, not even my husband. Had lost about 20# when a coworker commented that my jeans were getting baggy, so I told her what I was doing. She's one of the good ones & didn't blow my cover with the other coworkers. By the time I'd lost 30# the other coworkers were taking notice & asking questions. By then I was walking each day at lunchtime ...... I invited them to walk with me, but they were always "too busy" ...... eating takeout food ......

Surprisingly, one girl was furious at me that I'd started a "diet" without her :laugh:

Oh, my hubby figured it out one day ...... when I walked into the bedroom & dropped my jeans without even unbuttoning them :bigsmile:

Keep on truckin' !
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it's crazy that so many people buy into the "quick fix". My own doctor tried to talk me into HCG - said it would come off really fast and if I tried to do it myself, it would take me months. Well, let's see.......take some drug and eat 500 calories a day, lose weight quickly without really learning anything, or......take it slowly, actually get to eat food, exercise to improve my health, and know that I actually EARNED it......hmmmmmm.......... I told him to forget it. I like food. I need to exercise. And, I know that if I had to really work for it, then I am way more likely to keep it off.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    "I sacrificed a cow to Triglycerides, god of fat. I felt a tingling sensation and then suddenly I was dead sexy." (pronounced "treh-gliss-err-id-ees," to sound more pseudo-Greco-Roman, of course).
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I get it all the time, "What'd you do?". They want to hear some magical explanation of how I drank some concoction every morning, or didn't eat after 6pm, or cut out carbs, because that's something that they can put their finger on and it seems not only more exciting, but quicker and more attainable than a calorie deficit. As soon as I start to explain TDEE and net calories, blah, blah, blah, they lose interest real fast.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    33981366_zpsf924454f.jpg
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    For those people, I tell them I've been snorting lines of Sensa.

They shut up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey OP...yeah, pretty much if it requires hard work and dedication, people are just not down with that. Pretty much everyone thinks there has to be an easier way...don't blame them really with all of the diet and fitness marketing out there. Do this for 90 days and you'll look like this...take this pill and you will magically burn fat without any major lifestyle change, etc...
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Haha so glad I found this. My roommate keeps asking me what I'm doing to tone up and claims all she needs to do is do 50 crunches a day to tone her abs. I keep telling her she needs to stop eating 20 bagel bites a day and royal farms breakfast sandwiches.

Personally it's getting to the point it's mildly entertaining. I'll have the body of my dreams this summer and she will still be wishing for hers.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Haha. Conversation with a work colleague the other day:

Her: You've lost a bit of weight, haven't you? How did you do it?
    Me: I ate less and exercised more.
    Her: Oh... never mind.

WTF. Seriously,

I regularly have this argument with work colleagues, as I've developed a hatred of the word 'diet' and they all seem to be on some ridiculous one.

Someone told me the other day that they do low carb diets every now and then and she loses loads of weight - goes from a size 18 to a size 10. I said 'low carb doesn't work'. She said 'of course it does! I lose weight.' To which I said 'if low carb worked, you wouldn't have put the weight back on.'

Thus ensued a long conversation where I told her about MFP and the process of being healthy and not starving yourself, thought it had sunk in, then the next day she's eating hard-boiled eggs for lunch and telling someone how good the Atkins diet sounds. You can't help some people.