"OMG how did you loose the weight?"

Options

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "years of therapy". Shuts 'em up pretty quick usually.

If that doesn't work, I resort to looking them in the eye and saying very slowly "I have logged EVERY SINGLE gram of every EVERY SINGLE thing I've had to eat or drink for over a year."
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My fav is:
    "Your just a girl who starves yourself or pukes after eating"..:huh:
    I eat/snack more then anyone I work with and I'm the smallest one here. :smile:
    And for puking it only happens if I drink way too much. :flowerforyou:
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38lbs so far and no one has noticed :o(
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    i love this thread, I'm only commenting so I can come back and get some ideas for great comebacks, since "eat less/exercise more" doesn't seem to go over.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    People are finding it hard to believe I'm slimming down even when I hit Arby's and Wendy's for lunch. I get chili instead of fries, and eat only half the bun for my Arby's sandwiches, no condiments. I don't do Atkins, or ketones, or caveman, or warrior.... I just eat what I like, and work around the high calorie items when I get a craving.

It's not what you eat, but how much of it - why is that so difficult to believe for most people?

And when I tell them that I don't do cardio, and that I throw and lift almost exclusively, that throws them through a loop as well.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    *Lose*
    Loose can also be a verb. It's kind of a stretch, but you can interpret the topic title as grammatically correct with the given spelling.

i.e. "I have loosed my fat upon the earth. May god have mercy on mankind." kind of like "Let loose the kraken!" or as google gives an example: "The hounds have been loosed"
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    this might be my favorite thread... yes people ask, and I tell them, and then get the same thing.... But, especially at work, when people ask me, they usually have their phone in their hand and will show me MFP.... it makes me laugh.. I tell them YES TRUST ME IT HELPS!!!! So i am glad some people are getting it. Here is what is stumping me lately. I have a girlfriend who was significantly overweight, but no more than i was. She opted for gastric bypass. I watched her lose all that weight (took about a year) and then get surgery for her tummy tuck and breast augmentation. So she spent about 12-15K it has been about 18 months, and she looks pretty good. I have spent admittingly about $2400.00 for my trainer to teach me about strength training, nutrition and workouts. I have been working out since August, lost almost as much weight as my friend, BUT I feel so much better and am so much healthier! I am pretty solid with great muscle tone now, and i still have about 30 lbs to go! Why would someone choose all that pain and scary side effects and complications when they can do this for a heck of a lot less, and feel better quicker? I hope that does not sound like I am judging, i am just really curious as to why?
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38lbs so far and no one has noticed :o(

I had a friend from work (male friend) pull me aside and say to me, "I really hope this does not offend you, and I know its not "polically correct" to do so these days but you look really good, and i cant help but notice all the weight you have lost. I told him thanks and he better start telling me more often because i needed the motivation! He said most guys, especially in the workplace, feel like they can't because these days everyone is so afraid of sexual harrassment! So just know that I bet people are noticing plenty, but are just shy about saying anything.....
  • kirstinbrie
    Options
    "I sacrificed a cow to Triglycerides, god of fat. I felt a tingling sensation and then suddenly I was dead sexy." (pronounced "treh-gliss-err-id-ees," to sound more pseudo-Greco-Roman, of course).

Absolutely priceless!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE when they come up and say something like "WOW. you look great, what have you been doing?".. my answer of course is to eat sensibly, real foods nothing processed, track what I eat, and to work out 5+ hours a week. the Hilarious part is how often they will process this information and then say "oh, what you should try is (insert BS diet craze here)..."

You know.. you can lose weight by drinking a shake for 2 meals a day.. TRUE, but are you willing do to that for the rest of your life? I am NOT. I will have real food, thanks.
  • samanthabernardo
    samanthabernardo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been asked this in the past, when I had lost a significant amount. Describing to them that I worked out 6 days a week and tried to eat as healthy as I could usually left them looking at me odd. "Really....that's it?" is what I often heard. It was somewhat insulting because I busted my *kitten* 6 days a week sometimes for hours at a time (long runs).
    I use to be one of those people that said that.
    I am no longer that person.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    this might be my favorite thread... yes people ask, and I tell them, and then get the same thing.... But, especially at work, when people ask me, they usually have their phone in their hand and will show me MFP.... it makes me laugh.. I tell them YES TRUST ME IT HELPS!!!! So i am glad some people are getting it. Here is what is stumping me lately. I have a girlfriend who was significantly overweight, but no more than i was. She opted for gastric bypass. I watched her lose all that weight (took about a year) and then get surgery for her tummy tuck and breast augmentation. So she spent about 12-15K it has been about 18 months, and she looks pretty good. I have spent admittingly about $2400.00 for my trainer to teach me about strength training, nutrition and workouts. I have been working out since August, lost almost as much weight as my friend, BUT I feel so much better and am so much healthier! I am pretty solid with great muscle tone now, and i still have about 30 lbs to go! Why would someone choose all that pain and scary side effects and complications when they can do this for a heck of a lot less, and feel better quicker? I hope that does not sound like I am judging, i am just really curious as to why?

That's whay boggles my mind about WLS.....maybe for the small % that have actual metabolic issues that need it.....
    But NO WAY anyone is cutting me open for any reason unless it's something like tumor removal.

I'm 40 and have never even had stiches, and with any luck I'm keeping it that way.
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    "I sacrificed a cow to Triglycerides, god of fat. I felt a tingling sensation and then suddenly I was dead sexy." (pronounced "treh-gliss-err-id-ees," to sound more pseudo-Greco-Roman, of course).
    haha niiice :D
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of people asking, hearing that there is no magic, and completely tuning me out. I have, however, printed off cards with www.myfitnesspal.com and my user name on it if they seem genuinely interested. Those people are far and few between and usually approach me at the gym when neither of us have anything to write with.
  • wavdawg4
    Options
    For those people, I tell them I've been snorting lines of Sensa.

They shut up.

Win. I am totally using this one.
    If you add in some 'science' about how it hits your brain faster and immediately blocks the fat and hunger pains at the same time it's all the better :tongue:

I really hope I don't inspire people to actually try that though.. :laugh:

Haha! Science, never fails right!? Oh my gosh.. >.<
  • wavdawg4
    Options
    I have been getting that question pretty regular and instead of saying "diet and exercise" what I say is I use an "App". This is true and it gets their attention. A few of my colleagues have subsequently joined MFP and are on a good weightloss journey.

I've told several co-workers about MFP since they asked and they all say they'll look into it. One did, and it's downloaded on her phone but do any of them actually use it? no.
    Oh except for one guy, but he already had it, he lost some weight but then his schedule got wayy to busy and I guess he stopped logging. He actually told me that since he can't make time to work out he doesn't see the point in using MFP since you can't lose weight without exercise ... >.>
  • wavdawg4
    Options
    :sad: I was just told this morning (on a fb group) by someone that I should not tell people who wants to take diet pills that it is unhealthy, as "you have know idea what it feels like to be obese, and exercise and eating healthy is not easy and not always possible if you are obese"....And that people who are not obese should not tell other people how to do it....
    Uhm,,,yeah, I was obese, I did it the hard way, and therefore know what I am talking about.....

Talk about being rude! I would have posted a before and after pic with a link to your MFP.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Someone in another forum used the response "Well, you know *kitten* burns a lot of calories." I'm just waiting for the first person to ask me now so I can fire that at them. :)

If I had known THIS I would not have wasted all that Time & Money Snorting Sensa!!!!:angry:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wait until people start whispering about how you must be using cocaine.

It's a real blast to walk around rubbing your nose and sniffling a bunch when around those people.

Hahaha that's awesome.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Oh, that is JOYOUS, can I have that, pretty pretty please!