Guys that are a 3 trying to be with girls that are an 8...

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Don't judge me!
    tumblr_m6dtpot9tu1qa4z06o1_400.gif
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Looks will only go so far...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're awesome enough, you could probably get a guy that looks like Channing Tatum.

People (that aren't deluded about how hot they are) tend to unconsciously choose others that are within a number or two, though. I watched some special on it. I'd say I'm a six, so I'd likely end up with a 5 or 7 guy.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think her initial frustration was she is seeing a double standard. It's easy to have the attitude that guys don't have to work as hard at looking good as girls do - it's just expected that women have to bust their butts to stay fit and men don't - which, when you look at it that way, is unfair.

Exactly. It is a double standard.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I think when you qualify someone as a 3 (him) with someone who is an 8 (her), you are setting it up as one is better than the other. Which in terms of dating sets you up for failure.

What makes a guy a 3? His height? His weight, job, care, prior marital status? Does he have an arrest record, what’s his credit score? Does he have male pattern baldness, a beer gut, hair on his back? What is it?

All I can think when I read your post is this:

http://andthatswhyyouresingle.com/2012/10/11/does-romantic-chemistry-really-exist/
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Confidence = +5 (Why would you want to go out with someone who thinks of himself as a 3?)
    Condescending dill holes that rate people = -5

If you look hard enough, everyone is beautiful.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty certain it depends on the person.... I know I'm a chick, but I don't always go based on looks alone. Personality is a bigger factor for me, personally. I don't worry about those who don't want me, because there are plenty others out there.

I agree with you on this.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hey, you miss every shot you don't take!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I would stay off dating sites. They are set up to be very visual. The first thing you see is the photo of the other person, so you make a judgement immediately based on looks.

Dating sites are worse for men than women. What happens is that any remotely attractive woman has her inbox flooded, and your typical 6-7 will get the impression she's a 9-10 based on her inbox being flooded. She'll start acting like a 9-10, and that'll make things for difficult for the single man.
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    I can see both sides of this. On one hand, you shouldn't be judging people based on their looks, yet physical attraction definitely plays a part. I've come across too many people (men and women alike, but mostly men) that haven't a clue as to how attractive they are b/c they don't fit a certain stereotype. One in particular whom I believe to be gorgeous with flawless skin and a beautufully breathtaking body, yet has a hard time believing that someone sees him that way. It angers me that we are so hard on ourselves and so quick to tell others that they are unattractive. This is one of the many reasons I refuse to be on the "rate me" forums as of late, b/c my self worth does not revolve around one's opinions of my appearance. IMHO, all the ratings should be tens, b/c we are all tens in one way or the other, whether it be your caring heart, your bubbly personality, stunning eyes, etc. we all have a 10 point quality.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that hates the number scale? Were people, were more than a number. Attraction is key in every relationship and attraction isn't based on looks alone, there has to be more there. Everyone is different, everyone likes something different in the people they date. My advice stop rating people and on that dating site your on find a few guys your interested in, not just the guys you "think are in your league" and strike up a conversation. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't be so judgy, its not attractive to anyone.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Forget this numbers mumbo jumbo! If you have enough confidence and belief in yourself then no-one is out of your league. Nothing sexier than confidence in my book!
    [/quote

^^^ AGREE (and it took a while but I really believe this NOW! because with weight loss I gained some confidence and this statement is correct "no-one is out of my league" I have my preferences and I think that is ok. I am seeing someone now that I at first thought was "out of my league" and he has Never treated me like I was out of his league, he has helped me gain confidence ]actually thrills him I am gaining confidence.)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Is this crap for real??
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Is this crap for real??

yup unfortunately
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh yay. Let's shame ALL OF THE BODIES.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong... If you look like Steve Buscemi, are 30+ years old, only work at a grocery store part time and CAN get a girl that looks like Katherine Heigl... then more power to you!

Are you saying that Steve Buscemi is not attractive?
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    we are a vain species...
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong... If you look like Steve Buscemi, are 30+ years old, only work at a grocery store part time and CAN get a girl that looks like Katherine Heigl... then more power to you!

Are you saying that Steve Buscemi is not attractive?

My thought too!!
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my husband is four years younger, in good shape, tall, cool and some might say that physically, he's out of my league. I once had someone think I was his mother. That puts a little bit of a kink in the whole security thing, but I know my weight makes me look more old-maternal than I'd care for. We just happen to click really well--find the same kinds of things humorous, have similar world-philosophies, and enjoy conversations.

I once asked him "If you weren't married, and you were at a bar, and this really, really attractive girl was talking to you---wearing a tight fitting halter top or something sexy but not necessarily overtly slutty--and she had a great personality and was intelligent, do you think you'd instantly fall for her?" He told me, "Honestly, I'd probably have a hard time focusing on what she was saying."

So...to that effect it all depends. In his younger days, he's had crushes on large people, thin people, older women (as in thirties when he was in his twenties)...so I don't know that some list really is relevant. Attraction is really quite subjective.