I feel sorry for women

Options

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Before my abdominal surgery I was eating between 2000-2200 per day and losing. Since my surgery I can only seem to get down 1300-1700 on average. So sad, but I've got to let my tummy re adjust!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that even if I manage to get down to a reasonable weight, that it's likely I'll only be able to eat 1100ish calories a day to maintain it EVEN WITH 30 min/cardio a day. That's why I am having weight loss surgery... Because an eternity of eating 1100 calories a day and feeling hungry all the time just feels so harsh.

So what is going to happen after your surgery? Are you going to be miserable and continue to eat 1100 and maintain or are you going to eat more and have the surgery again in a few years?

No, I thought I'd just get fat again, develop co-morbidities, become a shut-in and die an early death. Is that what you want to hear?

I'm going to pretend now that you actually have a heart and wanted a real answer and didn't want to just rub my nose in my situation. With the weightloss surgery it will help make it more manageable to sustain a calorie balance. I'm having 3/4 of my stomach removed so it will make it more manageable to learn to live on such low calories so that I can be physically satisfied on so few calories so I can better deal with the mental aspect of simply WANTING to eat more food.. Once you have the majority of your stomach permanently removed, it's not something that you can go have again in a few years. Contrary to popular belief, the stomach does not "stretch back to its original size" Some Gastric bypass patients experience a phenomenon where the connection between their stomach pouch and their intestine becomes lose and the food travels straight through allowing them to eat rather large quantities, but that is not a concern with my particular procedure.

I do not pretend that it will be easy to maintain even with the surgery, but without it I felt absolutely no hope.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I work a desk job and eat (on average) 2,000+ calories a day. I also run 3-4 times a week.

Food is delicious (and I LOVE TO EAT) but my body DEPENDS on food for fuel so my runs can kick some butt! I really can't imagine training for my half marathon or just running my normal days eating 1200 calories or less.
  • Nurseblondy
    Options
    I eat 1400 and am genuinely satisfied. The more you work out the more calories you need. I don't need as many as someone who is constantly in motion. When I do workout I don't eat my extra calories and it helps me loose even faster.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    haha i actually appreciate this because I do feel like its harder for women. Especially women who are barley 5 ft tall (me) . and it would make sense if humans only used food as fuel but we dont, we use it as a form of socializing, dating, relaxing etc. Not making excuses though! just sharing my thoughts.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Amen to that! Preach it! =)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    what a rude post. not to mention that your goal weight is 10 pounds heavier than my highest weight ever. soooooo i think i have a pretty good idea of what to do in order to never get fat. thanks though.

A goal weight that is 10 pounds heavier than your highest weight does not equal "fat". A lot depends on height, build, and amount of muscle.
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i eat between 1050 and 1100 per day, excluding exercise and i am never hungry. i have another 60 pounds to lose and i'm 5'10 (not small!)
  • crottedenez
    Options
    No one in their right mind would expect someone training for a marathon to only eat 1200 calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out the enormous difference between eating 1200 and netting 1200. Mfp sets people up to net 1200 (depending on settings/goals, yada, yada). I am one of these people. I, like most people I'm this thread, eat substantially more than 1200. I net 1200-I eat around 1800/day average (ranges from 1500-2300) though. Just because mfp sets someone up with a goal to net 1200 calories does not mean they eat only 1200 (it could if they don't exercise at all I guess). Eat and net are not the same thing.
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Everyone´s free choice, no need to feel sorry for anyone. If 1200 or 1400 doesn´t work for you, don´t do that. Simple.
    For some 1200 is not enough, for some over 2000 is way too much. Do what´s best for you, but please mind your own plate and leave everyone else to do what they feel is best for them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Some of y'all on this thread seem hangry. Do you want a cookie? Wait, never mind, you probably can't afford that with only 1200 calories...***

***Disclaimer: snark does not equal bashing, humor does not equal hating, stating that one eats more than 1200 calories and still loses does not equal telling anyone else how much to eat, and offering sympathy to those who eat 1200 calories a day does not equal arrogance or ridicule.

/end

what a rude post. not to mention that your goal weight is 10 pounds heavier than my highest weight ever. soooooo i think i have a pretty good idea of what to do in order to never get fat. thanks though.

oh and the "hangry" and "do you want a cookie" jokes have been done to death and were never actually funny in the first place. just rude.

Wait a minute - you don't want to be judged for your calorie goal, but you're willing to judge someone else's goal weight?

Seems legit. :huh:
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was only gone for an hour and look what you all did!

There are some scary sensative/angry/crazy people in here....I'm going to just back out slowly and hope everyone remembers to not take everything as an insult, and to not assume any particular comment is directed at your personally....just breathe please?

For the record, I eat more than 1200 because I'm tall and I can. But if a smaller woman wants to eat 1200 and is comfortable with that why the hell not? It's not like someone else's dietary needs effect me in any way whatsoever.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In a quick response to the many replies to my OP, my sympathy purely stems from the fact that, as the primary cook in my household, I feel bad for my wife sometimes as I serve her smaller portions and get to enjoy a dessert and a couple beers with dinner while she cannot in order to stay within her goals. We have most of our meals together and eat the same snacks, but simply by virtue of the fact that she weighs 25 pounds less than me, she cannot eat the same amount, so I sometimes see the look in her eye as I go to the pantry for another snack. I understand that I made a sweeping generalization, but only because in general women are smaller, and therefore burn less calories. I didn't really include excercise in my thinking, because that is something extra we all have to do in order to earn more calories, so that's consistant accross the genders.

I should have phrased my topic better, because it's not really "feeling sorry" for women in general, more my wife sometimes, and any other woman who has to watch their husbands pig out.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

When I was in my late 20s/early 30s, I worked full time as a baggage handler for a major airline. I worked my butt off. I also hit the gym 3-4 days a week lifting heavy and cardio. I could eat anything I want and maintain my weight. I probably ate more than you do right now. Didn't have to think about what I ate, and it was nice.

Then an injury from that job put me in a wheelchair for awhile, and several years of severely limited mobility. I am now 49, stay at home, and very little activity other than my bike rides 3-4 days a week. Because I didn't restrict my cals enough after I became disabled, I ended up putting on 80 pounds in about 8 yrs. So it really sucks that I can't eat like I did when I was younger, healthier and more active. But life's not fair, and now I have to do what I have to do.

But actually I don't NEED to eat 2500 cals a day anymore, since I am not burning that much. 1500 is actually a high calorie day for me and I am quite happy with it. 1200 is what I need to lose, and that it just the way it is. I will be maintaining on 1600 when I reach goal, but I won't feel like I am being deprived of anything, because I get what food I need. My mom at 75 was only eating about 700 cals a day. It is all relative.
    I ate about 1800-2000 cals at Christmas and was just miserable.

Some people can't understand that I am really NOT starving on 1200 a day.

BTW, my husband has been dieting along with me for the past 5 months and I have actually had a much easier time restricting calories than he has. He can eat more than me, because he is a man, has 2 inches on me, and rides his bike for 50 miles at a time. But even tho he can eat more calories than I can, he still has a harder time turning down the sugar, fries, snack foods, and Starbucks. I just do my thing, but he credits me for him losing 15 pounds to get down to his 'race weight'.

Yeah, I could have a Wendy's Baconator after a 50 mile ride like he does, but then I would be in the ER if I tried that, so I doubt I would enjoy the burger very much!
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    I'm losing netting 1200, if I plateau then I'll switch to TDEE -20%. Honestly, most days I have a hard time meeting my goal if I haven't eaten any junk food. I wouldn't know how to consume more healthy calories other than eating half a jar of peanut butter

That would be me too! I always thought I ate a LOT, but when I started plugging it into the food calculator, it wasn't half as much as I thought! I wouldn't know how to eat 2000 calories either on most days, without over stuffing myself or pulling out the chocolate..
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Nah, your vision of what women need to eat to lose weight is way off, and it varies depending on their height, weight, age, and how intense their workout program is.

A 20% calorie deficit to a 4'11" woman for example, yes, might be 1200 calories or 1000 even, but to her, it will feel exactly like your calorie deficit of say, 2000,2200.

During my bulk I could easily look at your 2400 calories, while I'm eating 3500 and say "Man I feel sorry for this guy" but it's all relative.

On a higher level, take an olympic swimmer who eats upwards of 10,000 calories a day just to maintain or add some fast twitch muscle strength. He's not going to feel sorry for someone who eats 3,500, or 2400, it's all relative hehe.

If a safe deficit for a woman is 1200-1000 calories, it'll feel exactly like your 20% calorie deficit does at 2,000.

It's like saying "I feel sorry for my pet mouse, it only eats 20 calories a day! Man it must be starving!" It's not, it's all it needs! lol

Wow! Very intelligent and handsome as well! Now, if only people would understand your reasoning.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There's no one size fit all to weight loss or maintenance for men or women. I am 5'8 with a large frame and broad shoulders that would rival most men LOL. I wear a size 13 shoe and have large hands. I am pretty sure that 1200 calories is way to low for me given the make up of my body.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Nah, your vision of what women need to eat to lose weight is way off, and it varies depending on their height, weight, age, and how intense their workout program is.

A 20% calorie deficit to a 4'11" woman for example, yes, might be 1200 calories or 1000 even, but to her, it will feel exactly like your calorie deficit of say, 2000,2200.

During my bulk I could easily look at your 2400 calories, while I'm eating 3500 and say "Man I feel sorry for this guy" but it's all relative.

On a higher level, take an olympic swimmer who eats upwards of 10,000 calories a day just to maintain or add some fast twitch muscle strength. He's not going to feel sorry for someone who eats 3,500, or 2400, it's all relative hehe.

If a safe deficit for a woman is 1200-1000 calories, it'll feel exactly like your 20% calorie deficit does at 2,000.

It's like saying "I feel sorry for my pet mouse, it only eats 20 calories a day! Man it must be starving!" It's not, it's all it needs! lol

Wow! Very intelligent and handsome as well! Now, if only people would understand your reasoning.

It's sickening watching Michael Phelps eat.
  • ms_jen21
    ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daily intake goal is 2060. I try to stay 500 below that. I lost 13lbs the previous week, and gain 1 lb of it back this week.. you can do it if you put your mind too it, but I don't think I could ever stay below 1200.. -.-