Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 - 2000 some days and still maintain , no prob
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    MFP only suggests 1200 for me before exercise. In the past, that worked for me. Not so much anymore. Think I need a diet overhaul and make some bigger changes. Less carbs, more fat and protein. Of course bump up my strength training. Interesting thread ;)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1800 cals a day for maintenance. More if I'm active. I'm almost always active, so I almost always get to eat more. :smile:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for men. They will never know how awesome it is to be a female.

Also, penises seem annoying.

To quote Elaine from Seinfeld, "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."

hahahaha awesome
  • MamaTrombone
    Options
    I know a lot of women *think* they can only have 1200 calories a day, but MFP allows me over 1400 a day (net) and I have been losing over a pound every week. Maybe that's not fast enough for some people, but I've lost 29 pounds so far and feel great.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I'm anywhere between 1,300 - 1,800 depending on if I excersise, and how many of those calories I eat back. When you stop eating all the heavily processed foods you find you need much less food to keep your satisfied longer.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women *think* they can only have 1200 calories a day, but MFP allows me over 1400 a day (net) and I have been losing over a pound every week. Maybe that's not fast enough for some people, but I've lost 29 pounds so far and feel great.

mfp only allowed me 1200 calories to lose .6 pounds a week.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

I eat about 1300 calories a day. It's enough if I manage to eat the right things.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories are around 2200. Sometimes I wish my maintenance calories were like 3000 :wink:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    HA! i'm eating over 2000 cals/day. Most women cannot sustain a 1200 cal diet
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Some of y'all on this thread seem hangry. Do you want a cookie? Wait, never mind, you probably can't afford that with only 1200 calories...***

***Disclaimer: snark does not equal bashing, humor does not equal hating, stating that one eats more than 1200 calories and still loses does not equal telling anyone else how much to eat, and offering sympathy to those who eat 1200 calories a day does not equal arrogance or ridicule.

/end

what a rude post. not to mention that your goal weight is 10 pounds heavier than my highest weight ever. soooooo i think i have a pretty good idea of what to do in order to never get fat. thanks though.

oh and the "hangry" and "do you want a cookie" jokes have been done to death and were never actually funny in the first place. just rude.

Oh, I DO love how some people assume they know who or what my comment was directed towards. And what a nice veiled way to try and body shame me, aren't you cute?

Girl_bye.gif

Anyway...

Eat what works for you. You CAN eat more, if you want to, but if you don't want to and are content, awesome.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I maintain 97 pounds at almost 2000 calories net.
    I've never dieted to lose weight though, might make a difference.

*and I am sedentary
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Some of y'all on this thread seem hangry. Do you want a cookie? Wait, never mind, you probably can't afford that with only 1200 calories...***

***Disclaimer: snark does not equal bashing, humor does not equal hating, stating that one eats more than 1200 calories and still loses does not equal telling anyone else how much to eat, and offering sympathy to those who eat 1200 calories a day does not equal arrogance or ridicule.

/end

what a rude post. not to mention that your goal weight is 10 pounds heavier than my highest weight ever. soooooo i think i have a pretty good idea of what to do in order to never get fat. thanks though.

oh and the "hangry" and "do you want a cookie" jokes have been done to death and were never actually funny in the first place. just rude.

Oh, I DO love how some people assume they know who or what my comment was directed towards. And what a nice veiled way to try and body shame me, aren't you cute?

Girl_bye.gif

Anyway...

Eat what works for you. You CAN eat more, if you want to, but if you don't want to and are content, awesome.

your comment was directed towards people who eat 1200 calories. as one of those people i found it offensive.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sorry for people who eat 1200 calories. You wouldn't catch me dead doing that, but it's their choice. Having realised that I'm far from the sedentary so and so that I thought I was (other than occasionally at weekends) I've set MFP to losing 1lb a week and I'm still eating about 1600 calories NET. On workout days, I often eat 1800-2200 gross and still end up under 1600 calories NET.

Whilst I'm not saying I'm going to maintain the same loss long-term, so far the weight is coming off at closer to 2lb a week and I'm eating very well.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000-3000 cals a day and still drop weight if I'm not careful. I get tired of eating so much!!

I could never ever eat this much without severe eaters guilt! You must do a lot of training.

No, I don't train a lot...uhhhh, I don't think...I jog 1.5 - 2.5 miles and lift weights in the morning (total 30-35 minutes) and do ballet barre technique at night (30-40 minutes). On weekends I dance (ballet, modern, African) 2-3 hours a day...errrr, that is a lot, isn't it? Lol! I never really thought about it. The worst is, I go eat Stone Cold Creamery Mud Pie Mojo to get my calories in...it sucks! (NOT!!) But, eating so much can get expensive...sigh!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

/end

Girl_bye.gif

Anyway...

BAHAHAHA! This made my day!
  • crottedenez
    Options
    I set my weight loss to 1/2 per week and my goal is around 1400 calories. I've mostly been netting less than that without feeling hungry. I'm sure if I was working out the way I used to I would need around 2000 calories, but that's not my activity level anymore. The 1200 bashing is really ridiculous on this forum. You don't know them, you don't know what's working for them, people aren't "hangry" just because they only eat 1200 calories. That is actually all some people need in a day. If I ever heard a friend say I'm skipping my meals today because I didn't work out, then I'd get concerned. That's not the case with most of the 1200 calorie eaters.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

/end

Girl_bye.gif

Anyway...

baby-gif.gif
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes and no -- and here's why: According to the BMR calculator, I (a 22-year-old, 5'2" tall, sedentary female) would be able to maintain my current weight at 1647.75 calories/day. If I don't eat dessert or fast food, I can't eat that much in a day anyway, so eating around 1400-1500 calories isn't that depressing for me. However, I was on 1200 for a while, and kept going over because 1200 didn't consistently satisfy me. I had surgery the week before Christmas, and stayed at 1200 so that I wouldn't gain while I was recovering. Now that my appetite is back and I'm going to the gym 1-2 times a week, I have my MFP goal at 1425 or 1450. I wasn't losing weight at 1200 anyway, so I might as well bump up my intake (still under my BMR) and feel full! When I have time to workout more and/or have a more active lifestyle, then I will bump up my calories again, and subtract from there if necessary to lose weight.

So yes - 1200 is restrictive, and can be depressing (especially when you log onto MFP and your numbers are red and your friends can see how badly you did) - but for a short lady who spends about 60 hours a week sitting on her butt at work, in school, or studying, and then another 72 hours/week sleeping (which is 132 out of 168 hours doing nothing), sometimes that's all I need.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Women be crazy!