I feel sorry for women

Options

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating approximately 1400 calories a day at the lowest point.

I realize now I probably could have done it going higher than that, but I just didn't know at the time. I was losing 1 to 3 pounds a week right up until the very end. I even ended up ultimately 10 lbs below my goal weight, even after switching to maintenance.

Whatever - I don't have any loose skin and I'm at the same point I would have been regardless, so it's fine.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Lol, If I eat only 1200 I get soooo cranky. literally like this ... :grumble:

1400 is a good aim and I am adorable if I eat that much. AND I still lose weight :D

This made me laugh.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    this is rather amusing....
  • 10_mile_stereo
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 130, my metabolism is slow even though I work out, and I usually eat 1200-1400 calories a day. How I look is more important than not being hungry, so I deal.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would murders puppies if I only ate 1200 calories a day, and I am only 5'1". Not. Going. To. Happen.

tumblr_m140ruKFQ31r6uhj2o1_500.gif

LOL. Shut it down.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I would murders puppies if I only ate 1200 calories a day, and I am only 5'1". Not. Going. To. Happen.

tumblr_m140ruKFQ31r6uhj2o1_500.gif

I was just going to say this. I am 4'9.5" and I feel bad for anyone who comes in a 10 mile radius if I only eat 1200 calories lol
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    1400 is enough for me on days that I don't work out. I actually eat a lot of food!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat 2200 to lose. I have a vagina last I checked.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Try being a very very short woman who needs to eat less than 1200 for maintenance and can only lose weight very very slowly because of needing such a massive calorie deficit in comparison :(
    Not even a disabled elderly adult female is going to have an actual TDEE of 1200 calories, assuming her metabolism hasn't been compromised. Furthermore, height is only one variable and it alone does not significantly define TDEE - you have to consider age, weight, surface area and body composition as well. If you look at research regarding mass-specific energy expenditure, lower mass-specific resting energy expenditure (REE/weight) in taller adults will be noted compared to shorter persons.
  • Dulian25
    Options
    Everybody's situation is different; To intially lose, it might be plausible to eat 1200-1400/day at first, but, as your metabolism gets stronger, you can eat more and stay in shape. It also depends on your metabolism; are these women eating breakfast and lifting weights? Strength training works your metabolism harder than ANY other kind of exercise.

I really think it's by individual case and where each person is in their weight loss goals.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

I'm supposed to be eating in the 1500 cal per day range, and try to shoot for that. I think that number is a broad brush number for many women, and doesn't represent a large population. Also, many women on here admit to eating 1200 calories, when I bet their calorie intake SHOULD be higher, because they think they'll lose weight faster.

(I'm one of those who, if you tell me I am to give only so much, I'll give twice as much just to show you I can.)
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I am at maintenance at 1620 calories a day plus exercise. Been on this for a half month and the scale hasn't budged. It is a lot of food if you eat a variety. I am stuffed most of the day. :)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for some women because they *think* they have to eat 1200 to lose, but they really don't. So not only is it the worst eating only 1200 calories, but it's totally unnecessary.

I eat 1850 to lose, and 2100 to maintain. I'm a happy camper. :D
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    No, I agree, my BMR is about 1500 so I do have to exercise everyday not to gain weight. I like exercising but when I was working two jobs and working on my doctorate, I didn't fit in it and I seriously gained. It's not optional.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you are eating, 1200 calories can be a lot of food. Such as, lean meats, broccoli, cauliflower, fruits, etc....

That's what got me into my situation now, trying to eat as much as my husband. UGH, he makes me angry, eats what he wants, doesn't workout, and still has less body fat percentage.
  • gemaudlin
    Options
    MFP says that I have to east 1245 calories/day to lose... Im 5'6" not terribly short... and I'm 180 pounds. I have a little more than "just a little" to lose. lol but I really don't mind only eating 1200 calories a day.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'd feel sorry for me if that's all I could eat.

Thankfully, you have no idea what you are talking about!

actually he does... us shorties are allowed very low calories on maintenance. I'm 5 foot and 112 (mid range for BMI) and am allowed 1440 a day.

What is your BMR?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    lol, u read wrong. I'm 5'4 3/4 120.4lbs & I would maintain on 18-2000 calories a day per my bodymedia.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    On the days I don't work out I have a 1200 calorie limit but that is because if I don't workout I have a very sedentary lifestyle- I work a desk job 9 hours a day and can only leave it for head calls. Plus I want to lose 2lbs a week. If I do my usual workout though it bounces up to 1500-1900 respectively; But some days I am just burnt out after work and would rather eat less than get off my *kitten*.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    awwww dont feel sorry for us! men and women just have different bodies. men generally have about 3 times more muscle mass than women, therefor have to eat way more! don't worry about us ;) but thanks for caring i didn't know men even thought like that for us :) sweet!