I feel sorry for women

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1500 a day to lose and that's a big deficit for me to lose. Some women eat as much as you do, it all depends on our activity level and other bodily parameters.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day...
    I think the premise is flawed: That someone eating 1400 calories a day is suffering deprivation while the person eating 2400 calories a day is not.

I've been at both ends and when I'm exercising enough to eat 2,400 calories a day, or 3,000, I am just as hungry as when my caloric intake was much lower.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they can only eat 1400 calories to maintain. I am a 5'2" woman maintaining at 1800-2000 calories per day.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yup, I feel bad for myself too
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree, I get 1400 and I have 5 lbs left til my BMI- but this is to reach 15 lbs from now. I had a friend who had to eat like 1250 to lose anything because she's short. I just work out so I can eat more >:)

I also have PCOS, so my insulin resistance makes this whole process a little slower than you guys... >.<
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I 'm short and I eat 1200 calories. I lost 20 pounds doing it this way. I don't count calories with my eating plan. as my eating plan doesn't need calorie counting. I just eat what shows up in the numbers. that is usually how it turns out. I eat healthy not empty calories. big difference.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have found as a whole men eat more then woman anyways, so apples to oranges comparing the cals directly together is not altogether fair. That said, it is kind of creepy just how LOW their totals have to be. I mean, I am at 1750 right now in loss, and with exercise it has gotten to over 2700 in a day easily, and I feel I HAVE to eat that usually. Very few days do I go 500-600 cals under my 1750 (I assume is a good thing ;P ) but even then, it is almost a foreign concept to think of only having 1200 cals a day.
    That's like... "well for lunch I guess I will have some tomato skins... and maybe a single peice of spinach. Woops, over cals... better go exercise!"

On the plus side, at least their losses show more. Men kind of look fat up till they are cut and ripped..... no real in between. Women have plenty of very attractive points from chubby to bean pole. Not sure if that evens it out any, but I feel they get to see their progress better then men? Is that just me imagining it?
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of food at 1200, loads and loads of vegetables, fills you up and it still feel indulgent, but I really really love vegetables. I'd sooner eat a tray of roasted parsnips, carrots, mushrooms and onions that consider a bag of greasy chips. So I don't feel unfortunate at all. The only shame is that I had to cut out standard yeasty bread, but I have some on Sundays if I'm hungover :D
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Try being a very very short woman who needs to eat less than 1200 for maintenance and can only lose weight very very slowly because of needing such a massive calorie deficit in comparison :(

How short is very very short? I'm 5'1", 136lbs and am losing at 1850 calories. I think you need to do some research.

ETA: I reset my ticker - I started at 151 and am now at 136 - eating mostly anywhere from 1500-1850.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

I'm short with a few pounds to lose.MFP set my calories at 1200.I stopped losing ( joined at 10 pounds to lose.I already lost 45).I increased my calories by 300 and have lost three pounds.I walk,use weights and am currently doing 30ds
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, at least their losses show more. Men kind of look fat up till they are cut and ripped..... no real in between. Women have plenty of very attractive points from chubby to bean pole. Not sure if that evens it out any, but I feel they get to see their progress better then men? Is that just me imagining it?

I think that's a fair observation. For a lot of us guys, the final fat losses seem to come from the stomach region, so we can look "fat" when viewed from certain angles.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Happy with my diet and my waistline, but thanks for your pity. It's nice to know there's somebody out there who cares that I'm getting enough to eat.

Of course, I don't eat 1200 calories. Well, I do. In fact, a good bit more than that.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hm. On workout days I eat about 1500 - 1700. On non-workout days, I eat about 1200, but I also have thyroid problems that sometimes inhibit weight loss. But honestly, if I eat the right things, I don't need to eat a lot to feel full. I eat a lot of protein and veggies. So don't feel bad for women who eat this way unless it's making *them* feel bad (and if that's the case, they should probably be eating more or eating different things).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well in theory not all women should be eating that few calories. It depends what your weight is, what you choose as your rate of weight loss and other things.

Personally I am short, I do eat 1200-1400 calories a day, too early to tell if this is going to cause me weight loss but I suspect it's the right amount because I am truly sedentary in the true meaning of the word, don't work outside the home, don't have anything too active built into my lifestyle, clean sporadically, and etc. That's why my sign up here came up with 1200 when I selected losing 1.5 lbs per week. Later when I adjusted my weight after realizing I weigh more than I assumed I did from past weigh-ins, now I put in the higher weight and it changed to 1400. That all sounds right to me as a woman, who is short, and is quite inactive due to barely getting back into activities and looking at working out tentatively to ease in from an injury.

I doubt too many other women are in this predicament and should be consuming that few calories. They may be doing it to try to lose weight faster but I can tell you from how I feel on my more active days, you get hungrier and then crankier when you don't eat extra calories to compensate for your activities. So a working woman, or active lifestyle SAHM with lots of kids to chase, meals to make, laundry to do, playdates to keep, etc , or a workout junkie would probably be assigned more calories by this app and that sounds right to me. Those might be the one's you are feeling sorry for. If you really want to feel sorry for someone though, thigh gap girls. Look it up. Better have some kleenex handy. :cry: :sad: :ohwell:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    As I age, I need less food.
    I have a thyroid disorder, it makes me need even less food.
    The days I am not very active, I need less food still.

Eating at 1200 calories is no loss at all. The days I do that, I don't feel like I am missing out.

Once in a while, when I eat until I am stuffed (like yesterday and the day before), I eat around 1500 calories. I still don't feel like I am missing out.

When I am really active (skiing, hiking, biking for hours) I eat and don't care about calories. If I deliberately have cakes, nuts and chocolate, I can push it up to 1800 - 2000. Then I am about the keel over from eating so much, and I really don't feel like that's something I need to do every day.

So don't feel sorry for me. It's not an effort at all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most genuine sense and only as it relates to weight loss. I hear all the time in these forums how women need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and 1400-1500 to maintain, etc. I am at maintanance right now, I work construction, and I lift and do cardio 3-4 times a week. Therefore, I eat about 2400 calories / day. I can't imagine looking into a future of eating only 1400 calories a day for the rst of my life in order to maintain my goal weight. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad becasue women's bodies just don't require as much fuel, but I can eat 1400 calories after 6pm without blinking an eye. Does this depress any of you guys as much as would me, or am I overreacting?

Bollocks!

I maintain on net 2000 cals, so you don't need to feel bad for me!
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I eat about 2000 a day, and work out for at least 45 minutes almost everyday (mostly cardio), including strength training. I don't feel sorry for myself. LOL. I honestly don't think I can eat 1200 calories a day. I would be irritable and probably give up on changing my lifestyle. I know for sure I used to eat 3000+ calories a day. As I lose weight and get in shape, I'll adjust my calories. For now, I'm taking things a step at a time and instead of going all ape sh!#, I'm going to do this the right way. Nothing extreme. Sooo, whatever.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman - - I eat about 2000 to 2300 calories a day to maintain my weight.

No starving going on here!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the comments. And obviously assume this is a joke post and not serious. But, either way there is misinformation in here.

First of all, differences in calorie amounts is not about gender, but mainly about size, and a lot of women are smaller then men. And I think we all know that it's probably pretty rare for a person to maintain on 1400 calories unless they have a metabolic issue that developed from an eating disorder or they are elderly or something. So, I am a woman, I am 5'2", I weigh 100 pounds and I'm 34. As you can see I am quite small. My activity level fluctuates. But, overall I am a pretty active person. I am a dancer, a mother of 2, I walk for my transportation and I lift weights and take yoga. So, depending on my activity level I usually eat at least 1950, but often up to 2100 (on a regular day, more if it's a holiday or a fun treat kind of day). and I have never gone below 1700 or 1800 to lose a few pounds. I do not feel hungry. I think it is common sense that the amount we maintain on is enough to fuel our body and that a smaller body is fine on 1950, where a bigger body would be hungry eating at that amount.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I would murders puppies if I only ate 1200 calories a day, and I am only 5'1". Not. Going. To. Happen.

tumblr_m140ruKFQ31r6uhj2o1_500.gif