I feel sorry for women

Options

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I tried to lose doing the MFP suggested calories which would have been 1200 plus eating back my exercise calories and was starving all the time. So I read the Road Map (TDEE -20%) and it suggested 1750ish and not eating back my exercise calories.... so far it is amazing (I have only been on it a week). I sometimes have to try hard to eat that many, sometimes I may go over a little bit, but I am not starving during the day and I am feeling great. AND I think by the end of the 2nd week of trying this I may actually log a loss instead of just staying the same. I feel this is the right choice for me.
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" tall and I'm in maintenance now eating between 1900-2300 calories a day (and still sometimes losing). I work out an average of 5 days a week (cardio and strength training). I think if you're active, and of average height, you can still eat a decent number of calories during the day without gaining weight - even as a woman :smile:
  • hedgehoggins
    Options
    To be honest, I do find it a little hard at times. As I get older, I definitely can't eat the way I did in my teens or early twenties... Im currently aiming for 1450 calories a day, and while it really is enough for me (I don't feel so hungry that Im likely to binge) I kind of miss the days when I could pack away more tasty food with fewer consequences! And when I eat with the men in my life, I have to remind myself that I don't need as much as they do and shouldn't be trying to keep up with them. Im trying to learn to listen to my body and stop when Im full, even if that's only halfway through the meal for everyone else!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Women who need to eat 1200 to lose are either really really short with only a few lbs to lose... or they're not doing it right at all. Usually it's the latter.

In any case, I would just exercise harder to eat more. Like I do now.

<-- Really short. LOL

Mine says 1210/day to lose, but I get to eat a little more than that by exercising.

I am 160cm and need to lose 50kg.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Not *all* women eat that little. I'm almost six feet tall. I work an office job so do next to nothing all day, but can still eat around 2000 calories a day. Days when I do have intense activity I can eat a ton more. Every body needs different calorie amounts. Typically yes, women will be eating less than their male counterparts with the same height/weight/activity ratio. But otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges. My boyfriend is six inches shorter and with a similar activity level to me needs to eat much less than I do....it's not just that "oh you're a woman you can only eat xxxx amount"
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It is highly variable, lol. I LOST eating around 1700 calories a day being rather sedentary. I maintained or even lost eating over 3000 a day when I was doing roofing, concrete work, iron work etc. Now I am kind of fluxing and changing my routine netting anywhere from 1400-1800 a day depending on how I am feeling.
  • dwood1976
    dwood1976 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound stupid here but what is TDEE -20%?
  • clhous03
    Options
    Women who need to eat 1200 to lose are either really really short with only a few lbs to lose... or they're not doing it right at all. Usually it's the latter.

In any case, I would just exercise harder to eat more. Like I do now.

<-- Really short. LOL

Mine says 1210/day to lose, but I get to eat a little more than that by exercising.

I am 160cm and need to lose 50kg.

<---Really short, as well. And currently at 1290 a day to lose. I exercise, also. I love my Wii Fit, but I get so mad at the end of a sweating, panting, can't get off the floor workout and it tells me I've burned off enough calories to enjoy an APPLE. I want the freaking cheesecake workout! lol
  • Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound stupid here but what is TDEE -20%?

Maintenance calories minus 20% of that number
  • tarranp
    tarranp Posts: 12
    Options
    I currently have 1400 a day to lose weight and I'm only 5'3" tall.

I have a sit-down, desk job but luckily it's from home, so I get up on my lunch hour to do exercise. I wish I could eat more than that but I've never really eaten huge portions anyway. It's mostly my lack of movement that's caused me to become so unfit and fat lol.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I feel sorry for anyone who only eats 1200 calories. I'm a women and eat between1950-2250 every day depending on if I lift or not, that's to lose weight, I haven't gotten to maintence yet.
  • You should feel sorry for me, once a month something crazy happens where I have to binge on chocolate and bleed uncontrollably and than child birth! o man that sux!
    But apparently nothing like that matters cus I'm going to die anyways eating 1 cal under 1200 so there's GOTTA be something wrong with me enough for you to pity me
    :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eat far more than 1200 calories to lose, and probably somewhere near what you eat to maintain, and that's without "eating back" exercise calories. I don't do that. I also find it difficult to eat as much as I need to each day when I'm really working out like a beast. That's what's difficult for me, and I will accept anyone's pity in that respect. But don't feel bad about the 1200-1400 calories. A lot of us are eating a fair bit more than that and doing quite well! :tongue:
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1570 a day, and I'm losing weight just fine. I know it will slow down because I haven't been doing this for only about three weeks. But I'm perfectly happy losing a pound a week, and keeping my sanity, and not starving on 1,200 a day.
  • therowkat
    therowkat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,000 to 1,220 a day, and 1220 is what MFP recommended for me to lose 1/2 lb a week. I'm really short and about 20 lbs overweight. It definitely doesn't feel like enough some days, but you can fit a lot of vegetables and fruit into 1,200. I just basically can't ever skip, a cookie can be the calories of an entire meal for me.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My pre-baby TDEE is 2100 calories per day, and the last 30 lbs of my 40 lb loss was lost eating 1700-1900 calories per day plus exercise calories. Not all women should or need to eat THAT low.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This don't depress at all. I'm on 1400 a day for the time being, but as soon as I hit my weight goal, I know I will take it back to the daily requirement which is 1800 - 2000 a day. Even if o go off my calories for the day, I try not to go over 2000. I know there are women out there who eat as much or more calories then you do because of their work out program or if they are runners, etc. Some people don't realize you need a good amount of calories to stay healthy. But if you are way under calories, you are hurting your body, organs, etc. Thanks for your concern though.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'd feel sorry for me if that's all I could eat.

Thankfully, you have no idea what you are talking about!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm still VERY overweight and couldn't lose at 1200. I upped to 1400-1500 to lose and it was helping.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm eating an average of 2,000 per day and still losing. I'd maintain around 2,400. I did the whole 1,200 calories thing many times before finally learning that it doesn't work in the long run.