Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    They were NOT "handed down orally for a long time". The gospels were in circulation in rudimentary form in the churches immediately (they were spoken of in the Book of Acts) and the Epistles were circulated in the churches as soon as they were penned. You are quite wrong but you will no doubt believe what you want to believe.
    Yeah, adam and eve (another laughable story of how the Earth was populated) were writing on fig leaves to make sure that their story was passed down correctly to writers of the bible.:laugh:
    Thanks for the entertainment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Have you never heard of "Mitochondrial Eve"? You really shouldn't laugh at things you do not understand. It was Moses who penned the first five books of the Bible and he likely related it as it was told to him. By the way, Biblical archeology is uncovering fascinating evidence that the Exodus actually took place. Here is a link to an article that tells of the more recent discoveries (just one is the discovery of a large number of coral encrusted chariot wheels at the bottom of the Red Sea). http://www.triumphpro.com/exodus.pdf
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    @aroundthemulberrybush

Hmmm. Moses penned parts of the Bible "as told to him', yet it was not handed down orally? Thanks for shedding some light under your bridge. :)

And to answer the OP: No, I do not believe there is an afterlife.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was pronounced dead once.... I did not see Jesus, or the fiery pits of Hell for that matter..

So who knows? I also wasn't dead that long.

I THINK... That you should just try to be as good a person as you can be while you are living, what comes next is a surprise.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you follow the Resident Evil franchise - then yes. But for that to be plausible we'd all be zombies anyway. Only the elite get to be bad *kitten* and invade Raccoon City to kick some Umbrella Corporation *kitten*. And there only gets to be one Alice. BTW. Dibs. I call dibs on being Alice, and since I'm going to live - I don't know.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eternal life for those who believe in Christ.. Pray that all receive salvation before they experience death. Being "good" doesn't guarantee you'll make it into the gates of Heaven, rather it will still secure you a place in Hell. People don't like talking about things like this so I'll leave you with this... "My people perish for lack of knowledge" (Hosea 4:6).
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eternal life for those who believe in Christ.. Pray that all receive salvation before they experience death. Being "good" doesn't guarantee you'll make it into the gates of Heaven, rather it will still secure you a place in Hell. People don't like talking about things like this so I'll leave you with this... "My people perish for lack of knowledge" (Hosea 4:6).

^^^^
    This...and yes, I believe.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    @aroundthemulberrybush

Hmmm. Moses penned parts of the Bible "as told to him', yet it was not handed down orally?

Not in the conventional sense. Theopedia: "Throughout the Pentateuch it becomes clear that Moses is recording what happens. Exodus 24:4 states that "Moses then wrote down everything the LORD had said" and that shortly thereafter he took the "Book of the Covenant and read it to the people" (Ex 24:7). Moses also wrote down the Ten Commandments (Ex 24:27-28)."

Orthodox Jews believe that "the angel of the Lord" (that is, the Lord Jehovah Himself) told Moses what to say. Those of orthodox Christian faith, believe the same. Typically, when someone says that something was "handed down orally" they mean it to be a chain of humans over time.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I died. My heart stopped. I came back. I saw nothing. I went nowhere.
    I died a catholic and was risen an atheist though if that counts for anything.
  • TheFairGwen
    Options
    There is. :-) Heaven and Hell.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I don't think that was the 'second coming' that most religious nutjobs had in mind. ;)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    1wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.gif

Ghost
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Orthodox Jews believe that "the angel of the Lord" (that is, the Lord Jehovah Himself) told Moses what to say. Those of orthodox Christian faith, believe the same. Typically, when someone says that something was "handed down orally" they mean it to be a chain of humans over time.

Not a particularly compelling argument, in my opinion - Joe Bob Elder told me, vs Joe Bob Angel/God told me.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I know with all my heart that our life is just the "blink of an eye" and that we will spend eternity either in heaven or hell. I LOVE nature - when I look around and see the delicate balance of life it's hard for me to understand how all of that could be chance. There has to be a creator. I put my trust in the Bible. Others believe we were created by some other god and use another book, but the Bible is different b/c it's the only religion where we each can have a personal relationship with God. I feel Him and draw on His strengh every day. My Dad should have died 3 years ago (his medical records say "Miraculous recovery" in red - the Drs can't explain why he is still with us (and without brain damage) but through it all I just knew he would be okay...I don't know how I would have gotten throuh that without that hope. Anyway...the Bible tells us we will one day all meet our creator and I know we will.

Not trying to argue here...but please explain why God decided your dad was worth his trouble but all the kids at Sandy Hook weren''t.

I do believe in God and an after life. Believe in God or not, everyone has a time and there is no avoiding it. Believe in God or not, there has always been and there always will be injustice, life is not fair.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BondBomb
    Options

I don't think that was the 'second coming' that most religious nutjobs had in mind. ;)
    Why does the tern 'second coming' always give me the giggles?
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    They were NOT "handed down orally for a long time". The gospels were in circulation in rudimentary form in the churches immediately (they were spoken of in the Book of Acts) and the Epistles were circulated in the churches as soon as they were penned. You are quite wrong but you will no doubt believe what you want to believe.
    Yeah, adam and eve (another laughable story of how the Earth was populated) were writing on fig leaves to make sure that their story was passed down correctly to writers of the bible.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Have you never heard of "Mitochondrial Eve"? You really shouldn't laugh at things you do not understand. It was Moses who penned the first five books of the Bible and he likely related it as it was told to him. By the way, Biblical archeology is uncovering fascinating evidence that the Exodus actually took place. Here is a link to an article that tells of the more recent discoveries (just one is the discovery of a large number of coral encrusted chariot wheels at the bottom of the Red Sea). http://www.triumphpro.com/exodus.pdf

Yep and i get so excited when i see how Scientist or Atheist try to disprove the bible yet they really keep proving it!! Gods word will always be.... I do believe in life after death.. I have do doubt in my mind God is real he was with me when my mom past away, to many things happened to prove my Lord and Sabior was there in that room that night.. But so many other things in my life and what i read i just know and with that it gives me a peice in my soul and my mind. MHO
  • raeleek
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The best part of posts like this is the out and out disrespect that is ok because LOL is attached to the end. Everyone can agree to disagree that's great and fine but posts like this bring out the most self-righteous intelligentsia from both sides.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Why does the tern 'second coming' always give me the giggles?

why is it i am called a nut job because i believe in God i dont call you names because you dont.. see that is what i dont get and i dont like,, if you are a Christian you get called names or we basicaly slowly are getting our rights taken but other religions can do what they want.. it makes no since to me.. just saying if there is to be equality then let it be the same across the board.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    And how is this thread still around? Mods must be sleeping.
  • raeleek
    Options
    And how is this thread still around? Mods must be sleeping.

NO!

The Super Bowl is on! :wink: :wink:
This discussion has been closed.