Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've seen ghosts before, so no one can tell me there isn't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    So what does one do in heaven/afterlife? Run around nekkid and sing praising hymns all eternity? I mean, worship is what god wants right, so this goes on for eternity? Clear this up cause inquiring minds would like to know. Don't guess, actually tell me what happens after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

God wants us to worship Him because He knows that is part of our being. He made us capable of worship as part of the goodness and humility that He requires. We have Jesus' assurances that one's future in heaven will be glorious--wonderful beyond description. That is enough for me. As for being "nekkid", we are told that we will be "clothed in righteousness" and given white robes to wear (see the Book of Revelation). :wink:
    That didn't shed much light. Glorious in god's eyes could mean that you sit and stare at god all day with a smile on your face.
    I personally haven't heard any logical explanation of what heaven is supposed to be like after death. The focus for many religious followers is just to get there. Then HOPE it's all that it's cracked up to be.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It kind of all boils down to whether you believe Jesus or not. He's the only one who has ever died and been resurrected---and many witnesses bore testimony to that fact (His nearest and dearest would have known whether it was true or not---and they all went to their deaths proclaiming His resurrection). Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you that where I am, you may be also..." Do you really think the Lord of the universe would inhabit a crummy place or an unpleasant place of boredom? Unlikely. :smile:
    Actually, the story of Horus predates jesus story and lots of similarities, just like Heracles of Greek mythology. A god for a father, a human mother, did wonderful amazing feats,was killed and then resurrected. The story of jesus isn't original.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. DUH.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    So what does one do in heaven/afterlife? Run around nekkid and sing praising hymns all eternity? I mean, worship is what god wants right, so this goes on for eternity? Clear this up cause inquiring minds would like to know. Don't guess, actually tell me what happens after.

IDEA Fitness member

God wants us to worship Him because He knows that is part of our being. He made us capable of worship as part of the goodness and humility that He requires. We have Jesus' assurances that one's future in heaven will be glorious--wonderful beyond description. That is enough for me. As for being "nekkid", we are told that we will be "clothed in righteousness" and given white robes to wear (see the Book of Revelation). :wink:
    That didn't shed much light. Glorious in god's eyes could mean that you sit and stare at god all day with a smile on your face.
    I personally haven't heard any logical explanation of what heaven is supposed to be like after death. The focus for many religious followers is just to get there. Then HOPE it's all that it's cracked up to be.

IDEA Fitness member

It kind of all boils down to whether you believe Jesus or not. He's the only one who has ever died and been resurrected---and many witnesses bore testimony to that fact (His nearest and dearest would have known whether it was true or not---and they all went to their deaths proclaiming His resurrection). Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you that where I am, you may be also..." Do you really think the Lord of the universe would inhabit a crummy place or an unpleasant place of boredom? Unlikely. :smile:
    Actually, the story of Horus predates jesus story and lots of similarities, just like Heracles of Greek mythology. A god for a father, a human mother, did wonderful amazing feats,was killed and then resurrected. The story of jesus isn't original.

IDEA Fitness member

How dare you use facts to tinkle on the parade of the gullible?
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so cuz I have to use my brownie points to get into heaven, I don't want them to go to waste.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    More importantly for all of us, is there life before death?

This.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Eternal life is achieved by making a difference here in your allotted lifespan. If you want eternal life, make them remember you.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm happy either way
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I'm happy either way

I must say, you look like a long lost family member.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Id say Yesssssssss
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    OH LOOK!!!! It's a reunion!!!!!!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    wahey!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    gif_test_zombie.gif

zombiewoods2.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Ahhh---for pity's sake, THAT old chestnut--AGAIN! I think if you really examine the story of Horus, you will see that there are no real similarities. What similarities there are, would be superficial and were added to the myths (and they were often added AFTER the death and resurrection of Jesus). Pagan myths were constantly changing--there are many different versions rendered about one "god" from different periods of history. The story of Jesus is VERY original in that He had eye-witnesses who died martyrs deaths rather than to deny Him. Why would you believe the lies of those who are enemies of the Truth?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Ahhh---for pity's sake, THAT old chestnut--AGAIN! I think if you really examine the story of Horus, you will see that there are no real similarities. What similarities there are, would be superficial and were added to the myths (and they were often added AFTER the death and resurrection of Jesus). Pagan myths were constantly changing--there are many different versions rendered about one "god" from different periods of history. The story of Jesus is VERY original in that He had eye-witnesses who died martyrs deaths rather than to deny Him. Why would you believe the lies of those who are enemies of the Truth?
    Heracles and Horus stories both predated the jesus story and DO have lots of similarities. And Pagan "myths" actually lead the way for other christian beliefs, say like December 25th as the accepted day of jesus birth. Winter Solstice runs at this time where the "sun" is born in the House of Bread constellation or in Hebrew "Bethlehem". Sound familiar?

IDEA Fitness member
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Heracles and Horus stories both predated the jesus story and DO have lots of similarities. And Pagan "myths" actually lead the way for other christian beliefs, say like December 25th as the accepted day of jesus birth. Winter Solstice runs at this time where the "sun" is born in the House of Bread constellation or in Hebrew "Bethlehem". Sound familiar?

IDEA Fitness member

"A number of parallels have been drawn between the Christian views of Jesus and other religious or mythical domains.[5][1] However, Eddy and Boyd state that there is no evidence of a historical influence by the pagan myths such as dying and rising gods on the authors of the New Testament, and most scholars agree that any such historical influence is entirely implausible given that first century monotheistic Galilean Jews would not have been open to pagan stories.[5][4] Paula Fredriksen states that no serious scholarly work places Jesus outside the backdrop of 1st century Palestinian Judaism.[6]"

This is from the scholars who strongly refute those who would keep pounding out this OLD canard of New Testament Christianity being influenced by pagan myths.

What makes you think that their myths were original with the pagans? They were always borrowing from others. The "Three Kings" were from Babylon, yet they were quite aware of the Old Testament prophecies of the birth of the Jewish Messiah.

Yes--Christian theologians have always known that December 25th was an unlikely time for the birth of Jesus. The Roman Catholic Church was (and still is) heavily influenced by paganism. They chose December 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus because they wanted to substitute a "holy day" for an unholy one (the Saturnalia) which was more or less celebrated throughout the Roman Empire.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Captain Trim a fricken quote here.How about only quoting the last part of the looooooooong conversation. My scroll on my mouse is burning out.

And personally I believe our spirit, soul, energy maintains somewhere or somehow. Still not sure, but I do believe and I am spiritual. I go to church to continue to explore the mystery.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of these pro zombie threads. The only good zombie is a dead zombie.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Captain Trim a fricken quote here.How about only quoting the last part of the looooooooong conversation. My scroll on my mouse is burning out.

And personally I believe our spirit, soul, energy maintains somewhere or somehow. Still not sure, but I do believe and I am spiritual. I go to church to continue to explore the mystery.

sounds like you need to do some mushrooms, not spend your time in a church
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Are you guys still debating this? I already told you...Crispers are crackers, not chips. End thread.
This discussion has been closed.