Any gentlemen on these forums?

Options

Replies

• djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    well this is my first forum read this morning lol...interesting i'd say...i'm sure there are plenty gentlemen around here but what would define what that is?

I consider myself a gentleman...just because i'm respectful and honest...however...not everyone deserves respect
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Who are intelligent, secure and don't need to try and "prove" their manhood?

I prefer gentlemen to be dangerous... are you trying to tame them?

Intelligent, check. Required.
    Secure, sure... but what does that mean to you? Financially secure, emotionally secure? Tame enough for you to control, grin?

Try and prove manhood... hrm. Most guys don't do this either. Oh, sure there's a desperate dude here and there, but they are easily avoided. Or are you offended when men do classically "guy" things, and get irreverent and dominant? I rather like a streak of irreverent humor and dominance in a man.

All in all, not what I signed up on the website for, which is just watching my diet and exercise to lose weight, same as the guys I reckon. I guess if I am looking to date, I would find a dating site!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just a scholar.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Well, I like to think that I am a gentleman.
    I hold the door open, I walk on the "street side" of the sidewalk and I lift heavy things.
    However; I think many get "wuss" and "gentleman" confused....
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Jeebus, can't believe this thread is still going. But in order to get a true "answer" to this, wouldn't it be prudent to have a listing of the OP's definition of "gentleman"?

And for what its worth, over the years I've found that people posting on message boards (especially in forums like this one "chit-chat, fun and games") tend to be exactly opposite on the board than they are in person, granted its a very small sampling I have to confirm that, but the more somebody argues that "hey, look at me, I'm a great human being and wonderful person", the more they are not. Furthermore, the ones that often come across as pure jerks on these boards are very quiet, polite and lead great lives outside of these boards, they just have a sarcastic sense of humor and "run with it" on these boards.

Not saying its that way all the time or in all instances, but tendencies are tendencies.

As for me, I'll let those who know me in person and outside of these boards to decide what kind of person I am in their own eyes.
  • rm7161
    Options
    And for what its worth, over the years I've found that people posting on message boards (especially in forums like this one "chit-chat, fun and games") tend to be exactly opposite on the board than they are in person

I agree, and its totally true for me! :D I'm a hardcore debater who can really let it fly on a message board, but in person I'm really way nicer so I am told. :D

Don't care much about taming it down for the easily offended, though I do try not to be too offensive. I'm probably too offensive for the OP, however. :D But as I am not male, it doesn't count. Right, right?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    @digitalbill:
    Now I'm curious. Do women view gentleman as being weak, willfully or sexually?

No. It's easier and lazier to be a *kitten*. It takes discipline and self-control to be a gentleman.
  • Josh_H
    Josh_H Posts: 1,151
    Options
    @digitalbill:

No. It's easier and lazier to be a *kitten*. It takes discipline and self-control to be a gentleman.
    i completely agree, I have never been to a gym in my life, I don't like meatheads/muscleheads. So I just workout at home. I know everyone at the gym isn't like that. But I like to avoid *kitten*.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It is definitely not me you are looking for :laugh:
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Gentlemen... Internet... Are you sure you're in the right place? O_o
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It is definitely not me you are looking for :laugh:

Me niether. Although ... I do earn, what I consider to be, a pretty damn decent wage. :bigsmile:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Secure, sure... but what does that mean to you? Financially secure, emotionally secure? Tame enough for you to control, grin?

Try and prove manhood... hrm. Most guys don't do this either. Oh, sure there's a desperate dude here and there, but they are easily avoided. Or are you offended when men do classically "guy" things, and get irreverent and dominant? I rather like a streak of irreverent humor and dominance in a man.

All in all, not what I signed up on the website for, which is just watching my diet and exercise to lose weight, same as the guys I reckon. I guess if I am looking to date, I would find a dating site!

I don't have the ability to change or "tame" anyone. Only God can do that.
    We covered intelligent.
    Secure: he knows who he is, what he wants out of life but (and this ties into the third "qualification") doesn't have to spend his time and energy trying to prove that's who he is or get defensvie about it.
    He just goes out and lives his life with integrity.
    His actions speak louder than his words.
    (My definition would be a guy who is kind, respectful and self-less)
    I could respect the answer of the guys who just came right out and said "NO". Period.
    So maybe honesty is another part of it.
  • nobadkitty
    Options
    Men being gentlemen over the internets?? I am having difficulty grasping this... Social graces occur in REAL LIFE. This is the web, people are free to be however they want. So I don't get the point of the post???? Tthe two dudes she's not looking for....y'all can come OVER HERE :love:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    well this is my first forum read this morning lol...interesting i'd say...i'm sure there are plenty gentlemen around here but what would define what that is?

I consider myself a gentleman...just because i'm respectful and honest...however...not everyone deserves respect

How do you define respect?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    How do you define respect?

How do you define gentleman?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I don't know what your definition of Manhood is. I provide for my wife and three daughters. I put their needs above all others. I go to work everyday. I pick my battles wisely. I don't look for trouble or adversity, but neither do I back away from it. I treat my women like the ladies I want them to be and the way I want the men in their life to treat them.

If that is your definition of Manhood, then I am a Man.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I don't know what your definition of Manhood is. I provide for my wife and three daughters. I put their needs above all others. I go to work everyday. I pick my battles wisely. I don't look for trouble or adversity, but neither do I back away from it. I treat my women like the ladies I want them to be and the way I want the men in their life to treat them.

If that is your definition of Manhood, then I am a Man.

Yes, especially the last part " I treat my ladies like the ladies I want them to be and the way I want the men in their life to treat them."
    I want this for my daughter too and I think the first and most important person she learns this from is her father.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    @digitalbill:

I am thinking that being a gentelman and showing common courtesy are pretty much the same thing.
    If a woman or a child is cold, give them my jacket.
    My wife lost her sunglasses while we were on vacation so, I let her use mine.
    Stupid things like that.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    @digitalbill:

I am thinking that being a gentelman and showing common courtesy are pretty much the same thing.
    If a woman or a child is cold, give them my jacket.
    My wife lost her sunglasses while we were on vacation so, I let her use mine.
    Stupid things like that.

Not stupid. Considerate.
  • rm7161
    Options

I don't have the ability to change or "tame" anyone. Only God can do that.
    We covered intelligent.
    Secure: he knows who he is, what he wants out of life but (and this ties into the third "qualification") doesn't have to spend his time and energy trying to prove that's who he is or get defensvie about it.
    He just goes out and lives his life with integrity.
    His actions speak louder than his words.
    (My definition would be a guy who is kind, respectful and self-less)
    I could respect the answer of the guys who just came right out and said "NO". Period.
    So maybe honesty is another part of it.

Kind and respectful of everyone, not just women. But this is a human attribute, not merely a gentlemanly one. I pretty much take that without saying for everybody, male or female.

I don't want a guy who is selfless... having a deep sense of self preservation and self respect usually translates into respect for others as well. I don't want a guy who is selfish, though... that's a completely different thing. I don't want anyone who is selfish, again this is a human attribute which is equally ugly in women as it is in men.

edit... I tend to be a little sparing with respect, I can be rather blunt with people who are rude and obnoxious, and I have no qualms with anyone else who is this way, either.