A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if the people who are happy at 1200 calories exercise regularly and if they eat back the exercise calories? Just curious.

For whatever reason, people seem reluctant to answer those questions when I've seen them asked before.

From what I've seen in my couple of years here, many do exercise regularly and eat back their exercise calories, and they generally seem to be the happiest of the 1200ers (or at least the less unhappy). Those who do not exercise regularly seem to be less happy, and those who exercise regularly but do not eat back their exercise calories seem to be the most unhappy. (All of this is after that initial introductory period where they're still riding a wave of optimism and good intentions.)

Disclaimer: all of this is based on my own personal observations and, while it certainly isn't my intent, may be significantly influenced by my own personal biases. (If anyone else's observations differ, it's okay...I'm not mad. :flowerforyou: )
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if the people who are happy at 1200 calories exercise regularly and if they eat back the exercise calories? Just curious.

I've been eating 1200 calories or less for four years. I guess my stomach has shrunk to the point where I'm happy because I'm full and I don't know the difference, lol. I actually get sick when I go home for holidays and overeat. Love grandma's cooking but I always feel faint at the table because I've just eaten what I usually eat in a day.

I haven't exercised these past few years but maintained my weight. I am starting to exercise now for toning so I plan to eat an extra 100 or 200 but not much more than that depending on how much I burn.

Hope this doesn't spawn any hate. :) Feel free to add me as a friend to see my diary for ideas.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I was on 1200 for a period of 12 weeks and exercised every day. Cardio 7 days per week and weight training 5 days per week. Never ate back my calories unless my deficit was greater than 1,000 at which point I would eat to bring the daily deficit back to 1,000. My goal for 12 weeks was to lose 2lbs per week. Once I reached my goal, I shifted gears and increased my calorie intake to maintenance.
  • TheresaSnider2411
    Options
    I am not a success story YET. But I am on my way . It is my 3rd day on Body by Visalus with that and a 1200 intake on calories I have lost 4.9 pounds. I will reach my goals. I look forward to see everyone's success it is a motivational tool for all of us .
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.

This.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.

This.

QFT. You can pretty much eat as much salad with vegges and fat free dressing as you want. Sushi is also filling and very yummy.
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have been following the 1200 to 1220 rage suggested for me by MFP and it is working for me as well. I do exercise also but I do not eat back my calories. Since around Jan 23rd (when I started taking my journey seriously & following this calories range) up til today I have lost 24 lbs. I also agree with another reply that it is sometimes difficult to get in 1200 calories when your eating totally clean and healthy. Fruit & veggies are low in calories!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    1200 calories threads never end well.

:indifferent: No, they don't, do they? :ohwell:
    I'm not a 1200 cal gal but my goals are different. :drinker:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good to hear and congrats on your loss! Eating more, for me, has always meant weighing more. Plus, I am very comfortable with what I eat to get to 1200/day. Healthy meals, healthy snacks. If I force myself to eat more-- why would I do that???

There must be individual variations at work. Like, older women? Come on! We are not going to lose weight by eating more. Sorry. The weight packs on and eating more is not going to take it off.

This is so true, when i read people telling older ones to increase calories, i know that is bad, bad advice. It would lead to us gaining for sure.

Besides, if people eliminate extra fat and sugar ........1200 calories is a lot of food!
    Why would you eliminate fat? This isn't the 70s; fat is a dietary necessity.

Unhealthy and excessive fat, like you get in potato chips. Is that better?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe tool on MFP to enter all the indigence and how many servings....it will tell you what the calories are per serving. The best tool on here since most of us want to cook fresh meals at home and still need to know what the nutritional value accurately is.

Yes, that! It's the answer for people who like to eat their own cooking.
    You make a dish, whatever it is, enter all the ingredients in the recipe, and say how many portions you've made, total, and then you know how many calories and nutrients are in a portion.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol

The recipe option in MFP lets you calculate calories by entering each ingredient at a time.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt you can spend whole life eating but only 1200 calories.
    If you use it as a tool to get to certain weight and then plan to up the calories to maintenance - you will regain some of the weight because metabolism is a *****.
    Eat net above BMR atleast and workout. Itmakes the journey much more enjoyable and doesnt give nasty suprises and scale related tantrums later.

-Ex scale related tantrumer.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to continue eating 1200 calories?

If not, update us this time next year.
    Do you know what maintainence calories are? :huh:
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Fantastic for you!

I lost my weight at 1200 calories as well! And I've been in maintain mode for almost a year, and haven't gained anything back(like people said would happen)

I am always fully satisfied and feel great with lots of energy!
  • kathy1235
    Options
    Where do you find these groups?
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yep...1200 calories here too. It really varies with a person's body, activity level,, etc., but before trying to lose weight, I logged what I ate without restricting myself, and I found that I was only eating in the 1400-1500 range, and I had gained weight at that range and it wouldn't come off!

I do eat a little more when I workout, of course, but it all balances out to 1200 calories.

Don't mind my ticker. I have actually lost 3.5 pounds in the last two weeks, but I came back to MFP last month after a regain last year, so it won't show a weight loss until I get below the last weight I was at.
  • jg3084
    jg3084 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello! I have just really started my weight loss journey and I do great all day. I eat fruits, veggies, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs and lean meats. When I get home from work is when I lose control. The cravings just don't stop until I eat everything! I just don't know how to control my cravings for salty unhealthy things. I know one way to help is to not have unhealthy things in my home but I have a 3 yr old and a husband and if there is nothing else I will eat an entire bag of goldfish!!! Any suggestions? :smile:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    This entire thread pains me. I am a previous 1200-calorie consumer. Yes, 1200 is a great way to lose weight - it's just about fail-proof. However, LONG-TERM thinking, 1200 cals a day is not good. Your body needs more than this just to function if you do anything besides laying in bed all day long.

State the obvious.

No one on 1200 calories is intending to eat that much their whole life. Neither would anyone eating 1500, or even 2000. Once you have lost your excess fat, you change your calories so you're no longer at a deficit. I have no idea why people keep assuming that 1200 calories, or any of the other calorie deficit plans, are for LIFE when they are in fact a DIET.

Where's the eye roll smilie when you need one, eh?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I got out of the "1200 calorie" mentality. Or the "I don't exercise" mentality.

Over the past 6 weeks, I have learned that I like to eat good, healthy foods and enjoy regular exercise. And what's more, I love how I feel when I eat good and exercise good. At 1700 calories.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This entire thread pains me. I am a previous 1200-calorie consumer. Yes, 1200 is a great way to lose weight - it's just about fail-proof. However, LONG-TERM thinking, 1200 cals a day is not good. Your body needs more than this just to function if you do anything besides laying in bed all day long.

State the obvious.

No one on 1200 calories is intending to eat that much their whole life. Neither would anyone eating 1500, or even 2000. Once you have lost your excess fat, you change your calories so you're no longer at a deficit. I have no idea why people keep assuming that 1200 calories, or any of the other calorie deficit plans, are for LIFE when they are in fact a DIET.

Where's the eye roll smilie when you need one, eh?
    WOW! Common sense, who woulda thunk it :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!