A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks! I never saw that calculator. I bet a lot of folk haven't either.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I kind of see where y'all are coming from eating 1200 and losing, hey, to each their own, but i don't think there is Amy way for me to do it! For a while there i was netting 700, working out,and couldn't figure out y wasnt losing, i then upped my calories to 1400 and the weight fell off, I'm now eating 1600 a day, and should now 2mar wether out not my NeW calorie goal is working! Im hoping so, but really, i can't physically do 1200, my body goes into shut down mode. Good luck!
  • bkknauer
    Options
    It assigns you 1200 a day if you change the amount of weight loss you want from the recommended 1 lbs to 2 lbs.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    What happens if we eat even less than this 1200 calories? I am not hungry enough to do this? And I prefer to eat healthy so sometimes it is hard for me to eat as much as 1200 calories. Should I still try to eat the 1200 calories or do you think I will still lose while being under 1200?? I am at a major plateau and cant lose

Once again I am baffled.... just how did you become overweight and needed to join a weightloss site if you can not even eat 1200 calories ? ...... curious.....

what a stupid question. people get fat by eating loads of crappy food and most of the time, dont give a crap about it. once people make a decision to get fit and lose weight, they get a different mind set, and realize that being genuinly hungry is different then simple cravings. can i eat an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos and drink a case of corona beer? SURE CAN, but, now, do i want to? nope. now, i can get satisfied and full on a glass of water, some steamed veggies and a serving of baked chicken. 1200 calories of nutrient dense foods, full of veggies, fruit, protien, etc can be very filling, more so than 3000 calories of flaming hot cheetos. wow, some people on here... they run thier mouth on the internet because in person they are usually the most week.

"im gone cyber punch you in your cyber eye, because on the internet, i can act like a big boss and no one will know that in real life im a sensitive tulip... hold on, let me put on my cyber boxing gloves..."

lmao..
    You crack me up !

If you eat 1200 calories "full of protein and good nutrients" than why the hell can't you eat another 2-300 calories, be stronger and not skinny fat and workout harder and have a toned body instead of a sagging and fat one ?

I had every damn right to ask that question ..... it does completely baffle me... I was over weight, I ate 3-4000 calories a day of crap food.... I "get" how you can eat crap and now eat well and feel somewhat satisfied on 1200.... but a few more calories are a simple spoonful of peanut butter or another 2oz of baked chicken or a handful of almonds.......

We are not saying " eat a bag of doritos" ..we are saying.... EAT, workout, be strong, grow some muscles, have the body you want and drop FAT % not scale weight....

your missing my point. i was refering to you asking that girl how she got fat in the first place if she is having trouble eating up to 1200 calories a day. i dont need any advise, im doing fine on my own, but you, questioning how people got fat, is really stupid... its obvious most of us got fat by eating crap and junk, not 1200 calories of nutrient dense foods.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    It assigns you 1200 a day if you change the amount of weight loss you want from the recommended 1 lbs to 2 lbs.

I see... well at the recommended 1 lb I am actually losing more... I raised my calories in an effort to slow it down a tad but this month it hasn't really changed, I am 10 lbs down over last month. Not complaining really, I am sure its the exercise.
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    Options
    Im a 1200 calorie girl! And coming from a DR's recommendations.....if you are eating the right foods 1200 calories is plenty. A man can get plenty at 1800. I love the way the Dr said it when I met him, our bodies are like cars....your tank in you car doesn't change its size....and when it runs out of gas you fill it up....you can't over fill it, or it will come spilling out. As humans our TANK is our stomach....problem is as humans we dont have a shut off button or a LIMIT per say....if you like that hoho or twinkie or dessert or what ever it is that you are eating just because it tastes good and not because you are hungry, your body is trying to tell you it needs no more, but we as humans have the ability to override what our brain and belly say! Counting my calories and keeping it at 1200 is and has always worked for me.....and I exercise at least 5 days a week for an hour. People should not hate on those that get what they need and want out of their 1200 calorie diet. Be supportive after all we are all in this together!
  • KatiCoufal
    KatiCoufal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because I was pregnant and didnt eat healthy and gave in to my unhealthy cravings. But now that I had the baby I lost 50 pounds by eating clean and now I lose the last few pounds. I couldn't reach 1200 calories a day becuase I was eating salads adn all vegatables. But I just added some protein shakes in to my diet and bumped up my exercise and now I only have 3 pounds to go.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Net 1200 (actually, usually between 1000 and 1100 because I hate the red number) and gross around 1600 calories, but I exercise it off. It's working for me so far but what I really like is that it's teaching me to eat more fruits and veggies-which I used to be not so hot at-and to cut down on portions! So far I've lost almost ten pounds since I started here 3 odd weeks ago and while some of that is water weight, some of it isn't, lol.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Alright, here's the thing.

April 2011 I set myself on 1200 calories a day. It worked. I lost 25-30 lbs. Then I plateaued all over the place for months and months and months. 1200 calories? No longer worked for me the smaller I got.

1200 calories WILL MAKE YOU LOSE WEIGHT. However, it's not the healthiest way to lose weight, nor will it work as effectively the smaller you get. I had to raise my calories (even though it didn't make sense in my brain) to 1600 calories a day, and then I started LOSING weight again.

This is me. It worked to begin with, but I've been stuck now for months. I've just increased it to 1500 and I'll see how well that goes.
  • HarleyQuinn94
    Options
    Amazing job!!!!! Keep up the good work!! Its really hard sticking to 1200 cal a day i usually go over even if its only but 20 cal I fell bad( like I over ate) , but if you eat the right stuff it's not that restricting.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This entire thread pains me. I am a previous 1200-calorie consumer. Yes, 1200 is a great way to lose weight - it's just about fail-proof. However, LONG-TERM thinking, 1200 cals a day is not good. Your body needs more than this just to function if you do anything besides laying in bed all day long.

Do the math....if you burn 50 cals an hour...which most people do at rest...thats 1200 calories seriously lying in bed all day. If you walk around, do a workout, you're looking at burning about 1500 calories at least per day. If you're only fueling your body on 1200 calories, yes you might lose weight, but I bet your body is eating your muscle to get that 300 calories a day you're not providing it. You might keep this up for 1, 2, 3 years, but looking 5 years, 10 years, 15 years down the road, something is bound to happen.
    1) Your body will give out
    2) You will seriously plateau
    3) You're in maintenance and start eating above 1200 and gain it all back.

It's so much easier than this...Figure out your BMR (mine is 1375). Eat at least that - (I eat 1500). Burn 500 more than you eat. (I burn 2000+ a day). I've lost 16 pounds in 12 weeks. And I started out at 139 so it's not like I have a ton of weight to lose. Yet the scale still moves.

Yes, again, 1200 cals works, no one is saying it doesn't - but you don't have to do it that way. I used to be of this mindset and yes when you increase your calorie intake, you will be puffy and bloated and maybe gain a pound or 2 for a few days while your body readjusts, but it doesn't stay that way. It WILL adjust!!

The number on the scale is so much less important than optimal health. I hope this benefits someone.

THIS. I originally weighed 186 and lost a large part of the weight eating around 1200-1400 calories a day.. however, I kept wanting to drop my goal "ten more pounds" because I never looked the way I wanted... this was becaus my guess is I was losing lots of muscle mass rather than fat mass and was unhappy with my results.. ended up doing a "metabolic reset" and gained 16# back.. now currently down 10 of the o16 gained back eating 1800-1900 cals/day but my physique is MUCH better now because the loss is now FAT loss rather than MUSCLE loss. Good luck to you.. however I am a little leery if you are going to maintain this lifestyle long term.. Kinda gives me the sads people eating so low below even their body's BMR :frown:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Observation: OP started account in December 2012. It's April 2013 and the account has been deactivated.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Observation: OP started account in December 2012. It's April 2013 and the account has been deactivated.

Probably because people were mean. lol
  • smantha32
    Options

They probably got bashed. These 1200 calorie threads tend to bring out a lot of hate. :smile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to continue eating 1200 calories?

If not, update us this time next year.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

They probably got bashed. These 1200 calorie threads tend to bring out a lot of hate. :smile:

If by "bashed", you mean, "questioned", and by "hate", you mean, "disagreement, much of it based on negative personal experience", then yes, I completely agree.

As for OP, I hope the reason she deactivated is because she achieved her goals and was completely satisfied with her results.
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are no absolutes in this journey! Reducing to 1200 calories will work as a method as long as it keeps getting results for each individual using it. When it stops, then it is up to that person to recognize the need for change. I don't understand the obsession with finding the "right way" to do this - we need to find what allows us each to be successful without harming our health and adjust as necessary.
  • smantha32
    Options

If by "bashed", you mean, "questioned", and by "hate", you mean, "disagreement, much of it based on negative personal experience", then yes, I completely agree.

You might see it as disagreement but "1200" people often see it as bashing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You might see it as disagreement but "1200" people often see it as bashing.

Many on MFP (and not just 1200ers) mistakenly equate "disagreement" with "bashing"...

...but that doesn't make it so.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if the people who are happy at 1200 calories exercise regularly and if they eat back the exercise calories? Just curious.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!