Harry Potter: DH Part 1 CHALLENGE

Options
I was kinda inspired by the "Twilight Saga Eclipse Challenge" thread. :wink: :heart:

Anyway -- Today is March 19th. In exactly 8 months (November 19th) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 will be released in theaters in the U.S. I thought it might be fun to start a thread for HP fans to congregate, chat about the books/movies, and challenge each other to meet some health/fitness/weight loss goals by the time the next film is out.

Who's with me? :happy:

I thought we could start by posting our current weight and our goal weight for November 19th, set mini goals every 2 weeks with Friday as a weigh-in day.

November 19th is about 32 weeks away, so I'm going for a 30 pound loss -- a teeny bit less than 1 pound a week.

Start weight: 180.8
04/02/10: Mini goal: 178.8
11/19/10: Final goal: 150

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! The Harry Potter Theme park in Universal Studios, FL opens this spring and I'm planning a trip in October - needless to say i love HP haha.

CW - 233
    4/2 Mini Goal - 231
    11/19 - 200
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for the movies and the Theme Park! ::: doing the happy snoopy dance :::

So, if you could spend a week in any of the homes which would you pick and why?

I'd go for Mr. & Mrs. Weasley's house because it seems so cozy, the cats would have a ball chasing garden pixies and I could use magic to finally learn how to knit. :wink:
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Love Harry Potter!!! I only JUST found out yesterday when the next movie was coming out and that it's 2 parts!!!!! What!!!? Thats awesome! Gives them a better chance to make it like the book. I am super excited. Accually right now I am in the middle of the third book... AGAIN. (just don't tell my husband. I don't like the looks he gives me when he sees me reading the books again.) LOL.

Oh and I am so sad that I can't go to Universal to the theme park. I live in canada and we already have our year holiday planned.... but I am hoping that if I wait a while they will do more and more to it.

my Goal is to have lost 20 lbs by the time the movie comes out.
  • crabbygirl
    Options
    I LOVE Harry and the gang! Sounds strange, but I have a thing for Snape (Alan Rickman). I cried (happy tears) when I got to the end of the last book. I wish the series would go on (Twilight too). :love:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'm in. I love Harry Potter!!!

I hope to lose 32 lbs more by the time the movie comes out. That's 1 lb per week. I have 40 left to my goal weight and I'm giving my self until the end of the year to get it gone.

My best friend and I (and probably DH and various other friends) are going to go to the theme park in a few years after she reaches her goal weight. We both want to be able to go and have fun and not worry about whether or not we'll fit on the rides. I've had to get off a ride once because the bar wouldn't close. NEVER AGAIN!!! The worst moment of my life probably.

Start weight: 213.6
    04/02/10: Mini goal: 211.6
    11/19/10: Final goal: 181
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    I LOVE Harry and the gang! Sounds strange, but I have a thing for Snape (Alan Rickman). I cried (happy tears) when I got to the end of the last book. I wish the series would go on (Twilight too). :love:

OMG!!! I am a Harry fan because of Alan Rickman!! :love:

I want to lose a substantial amount by the time of the movie release. Got to look good too, down at the Universal park! :bigsmile:

I bought a pair of Luna's Spectre specs for that occasion!!! :glasses:
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Welcome, ladies! I am so happy to see such a great response! :flowerforyou:
    I'm with ya! The Harry Potter Theme park in Universal Studios, FL opens this spring and I'm planning a trip in October - needless to say i love HP haha.

CW - 233
    4/2 Mini Goal - 231
    11/19 - 200

Can I say I'm jealous? :laugh: I have NO idea when I'll be able to get out to FL to go to the theme park -- but it's definitely up there on my vacation list!!
    So, if you could spend a week in any of the homes which would you pick and why?

I'd go for Mr. & Mrs. Weasley's house because it seems so cozy, the cats would have a ball chasing garden pixies and I could use magic to finally learn how to knit. wink

I think I have to agree with you on that one, Mishy! Can you imagine baking in that kitchen? Magic or no, that house would be too much!
    Accually right now I am in the middle of the third book... AGAIN. (just don't tell my husband. I don't like the looks he gives me when he sees me reading the books again.) LOL.

I started re-reading the series a month or two back. I'm still in the middle of Chamber of Secrets -- I can never just pick up ONE book and read it, I have to have 2 or 3 going at the same time. :laugh: I'm also reading Robert Jordan's "Crossroads of Twilight" the 10th book in his Wheel of Time series. It's... long. :wink:
    I LOVE Harry and the gang! Sounds strange, but I have a thing for Snape (Alan Rickman).

Alan Rickman is awesome. Did you see him in Pride and Prejudice? (The version with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet.) Sooo good!
    My best friend and I (and probably DH and various other friends) are going to go to the theme park in a few years after she reaches her goal weight. We both want to be able to go and have fun and not worry about whether or not we'll fit on the rides. I've had to get off a ride once because the bar wouldn't close. NEVER AGAIN!!! The worst moment of my life probably.

I bet you're going to look and feel FABULOUS when you go! I'm not much of a ride person... at least not big roller-coasters. I'm a bit of a wuss. :laugh: Give me a good tilt-a-whirl and I'm a happy girl, though. :wink:

How cool! Where'd you find those? :smile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Count me in and this is perfect for my sister "Merckert"...she has been on and off lately but I am going to call her and tell her that now she needs to come back to MFP! She is in love with AR...paints her toenails green in his honor and actually bakes a cake on his birthday!

D
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Count me in and this is perfect for my sister "Merckert"...she has been on and off lately but I am going to call her and tell her that now she needs to come back to MFP! She is in love with AR...paints her toenails green in his honor and actually bakes a cake on his birthday!

D

Welcome, DeeDee! :flowerforyou:

That's adorable -- baking a cake on Alan Rickman's b-day! :laugh: I love it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I plan to meet my goal by the first day of summer, but I love HP so I wanna hang out too!

I WISH I could go to Universal, that would be SOOO cool.
    I've read the series like 4 times, and seen all the movies about 20 times each (thanks to my son).

Mande - I am on book 2 of Wheel of Time. Parts of it have lost my interest a bit. I loved the first book. Does the series get stale and dry out or is it still good at book ten? Should I push through the dull parts knowing they'll be important later?
    All this stuff with Doman Boyle and the Seanchan is getting on my nerves... does it go anywhere?
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options

I got them at the Warner Brother shop.

SW: 260 CW: 250
    Goals: improve lifestyle
    maintain healthy weight
    1st goal: develop new habits
  • Mande_G
    Options
    What do you ladies currently do as part of your exercise routine?

Me: I started the Power 90 workout DVDs in mid January. I am on day... 60-something (I am work, but my tracking sheet it at home.) For those not familiar, Power 90 consists of 2 different workouts -- one cardio, and one strength training -- and you alternate each day, taking one day a week as a rest day (no formal exercise).

After I'm done with the Power90, I think I may start the Couch to 5k program. I'm ready for something different than a DVD. :wink:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I love magic.

CW 173.5
    4/1 goal 170
    11/19 goal 145
  • Mande_G
    Options
    <snip>
    Mande - I am on book 2 of Wheel of Time. Parts of it have lost my interest a bit. I loved the first book. Does the series get stale and dry out or is it still good at book ten? Should I push through the dull parts knowing they'll be important later?
    All this stuff with Doman Boyle and the Seanchan is getting on my nerves... does it go anywhere?

Robert Jordan DOES tend to get really wordy, and some of the books are -- well, filler, really, where the story doesn't really move forward a lot. The first book is my favorite, and has the most complete story in and of itself. OVERALL I think it's worth slogging through the dull parts -- but that's just me. :wink: The Seanchan are still around doing their thing -- their story has progressed a little, but I don't think anything spectacular happens until book 12. My husband has read through book 12 and was pretty impressed at the turn of events -- I'm really excited to get that far and find out what's going on. :wink:

I personally can not STAND reading any chapter from the Whitecloak's perspective. lol.
  • Mande_G
    Options

I got them at the Warner Brother shop.

SW: 260 CW: 250
    Goals: improve lifestyle
    maintain healthy weight
    1st goal: develop new habits

Ah so! :smile:
  • rjadams
    Options

I walk on my treadmil for 60 minutes Monday thru Friday and I am doing the Wii EA Active 30 day challenge. On the rest days for the challenge I use Wii Fit Plus. I rest completely one day during the weekend.
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Also -- Welcome DeeDee, Robin, and RJ! :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in between exercises right now. I can't seem to find anything to keep my interested. I really love to bike, but it has been too cold. Now that it is warming back up, DH's schedule changed and I don't think we'll be able to ride during the week like we did last year. I'm starting the Flat Belly Diet Sunday and I think I'm going to follow the exercise plan that goes with it. It involves interval walking, strength training, and stretching. All of it is meant to be done pretty much without any machines or extra equipment. I think you might need some hand weights for the upper body strength exercises. Once I'm done with that, I'm hoping to be ready to start C25K. I tried it once before and it was really tough with the extra weight. I think I need to at least move from "obese" to "overweight" before I try again.
  • rjadams
    Options

By the 8th book it is really dry. I never made it past number 8. My son and my best friend read them all and said it was hard to get thru the rest.
  • Mande_G
    Options
    I walk on my treadmil for 60 minutes Monday thru Friday and I am doing the Wii EA Active 30 day challenge. On the rest days for the challenge I use Wii Fit Plus. I rest completely one day during the weekend.

What do you think of Wii Fit Plus? I have the original -- was using it last spring. I definitely liked it -- the balance games were pretty fun!