How many pets is too many?

Options

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My town has a limit. 5 pets per household. They also do inspections every few months to make sure the home is safe for the pets and that the pets are being fed and not abused. I don't know many towns that do this, and it's mandatory.

Wow, I would seriously take issue with that...

If you live in a town that has this law/bylaw/whatever it's called than you agree to it if you want to have pets in your home. If you don't like it, don't get a pet.

Personally, I agree with it as there are far too many people who do not properly take care of their animals.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A flatcoat retriever/border collie mix (about 65 lbs) and a chiuahua and a pomeranian mix.

And let me guess. The Chihuahua is the non pottytrained one. Stupid little rat dogs, I've never run across one that actually 'figured it out' that potty goes outside, not in the corner right when you get back in.

I have a "stupid little rat dog" that doesn't go to the bathroom inside. It isn't all of those "stupid little rat dogs" that don't know where the proper place is to go. Mine is very well trained and knows he is to go outside and not in the house. I also know five other "stupid little rat dogs" that don't go to the bathroom in the house.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    A flatcoat retriever/border collie mix (about 65 lbs) and a chiuahua and a pomeranian mix.

And let me guess. The Chihuahua is the non pottytrained one. Stupid little rat dogs, I've never run across one that actually 'figured it out' that potty goes outside, not in the corner right when you get back in.

I have a "stupid little rat dog" that doesn't go to the bathroom inside. It isn't all of those "stupid little rat dogs" that don't know where the proper place is to go. Mine is very well trained and knows he is to go outside and not in the house. I also know five other "stupid little rat dogs" that don't go to the bathroom in the house.
    My sister has two "stupid little rat dogs" and guess what? They both will sit at the back door and let you know they need to go. Neither of them has ever had an accident inside.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    stupid little rat human that can't train
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

True, though some animals are more difficult to train than others.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

True, though some animals are more difficult to train than others.

I know
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So what's the background on these people? Did all of the adults live together and then get these pets in the 2 bedroom apartment? Did they combine households, bringing all of their individual pets with them? Did they at one point have a better living/financial situation?

Just from personal experience, people don't generally start out with that many people/pets in that small of space. I know my husband is a huge animal lover, and at one point he tried to save a pack of puppies (nine total) that would have been put in a sack in thrown in the river (yeah, that's the kinda backwoods place I live...). Unfortunately we couldn't find homes for any of them and they turned into BIG dogs. It was a huge strain financially, and when they were just reaching adulthood, my husband lost his job, making it a daily choice about what kind of food we were going to eat, the animals were going to eat, and which bills were going to get paid.

Just because life goes bad, you can't just stop feeding/taking care of your family, and that goes for pets too. It sucks, but they are dependent on you. Like I said, I don't know the surrounding circumstances of the OP's people in reference, so I withhold judgement.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    One side of my family has 4 adults, one kid, three dogs, three cats, 6 snakes, about 15 rats, a lizard, and a frog in a 2 bedroom apartment.

What do you think, excessive?

Yes.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My town also has limits, unless you foster for the animal shelter or the Humane Society. In that case, it's waived. I like fostering for many reasons, one of which is that I can have puppies as often as I like (which is sad in itself that people dump them off before they're even six weeks old, and due to parvo concerns they can only be sent to fosters or euthanized).
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a little confised as to your specific question...

The houshold is two couples, combined last summer. The animals are split fairly evenly between the two households. I have more of an issue with the household with two small dogs and two cats and two snakes (plus rats), because they have not had a place to live for more than a few months in several years and yet they seem to keep adding animals, and those animals have no preventative care whatsoever. They have had two litters of puppies in the last 8 months or so because they cannot afford to get either dog fixed. THAT is they kind of care that concerns me.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Topics that are only relevant to a select group of people are better suited for MyFitnessPal Groups than our public message boards
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a little confised as to your specific question...

The houshold is two couples, combined last summer. The animals are split fairly evenly between the two households. I have more of an issue with the household with two small dogs and two cats and two snakes (plus rats), because they have not had a place to live for more than a few months in several years and yet they seem to keep adding animals, and those animals have no preventative care whatsoever. They have had two litters of puppies in the last 8 months or so because they cannot afford to get either dog fixed. THAT is they kind of care that concerns me.

That's irresponsible. Getting your animals fixed should be top priority, right there with vaccinations. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't have them at all.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Topics that are only relevant to a select group of people are better suited for MyFitnessPal Groups than our public message boards

Is that your professional opinion, Dr. Bro? I assume that you have a Phd in SCIENCE?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have one (very large) dog, two cats and six chickens.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Our zoo is the husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 betas, some flathead minnows, and 2 chickens. Good thing about the chickens - they pay their rent in laying eggs! :happy:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

^ This.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/66-pets
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    yes, but are you having difficulty feeding yourselves?

I think that is my bigger issue, they seem to put their animals above themselves pretty often.

no, we feed our selves quite well and the animals are well fed too (hence why i'm on MFP hahaha)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.

^^ This...word for word
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If we're talking cats...one.