Has anyone lost weight eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• Kirijyma
    Options
    Just curious! I actually ate around 1000 calories per day several years back and lost really well! This was before the starvation mode thing was even a known factor (as far as I knew at least) I lost 60 lb easily within 7 months...I gained my weight due to some depression issues ONLY which of course will happen on any diet! Soooo would like to know if this has worked for anyone else!

Starvation mode is a myth thrown around far too often.

Don't try to only eat 1000 calories again. It is far too little especially if you are exercising as well. If you were only eating about 1000 calories when you lost 60lbs before I can guarantee a large portion of the 60lb was muscle that you lost. When you are on a calorie deficit and have a deficit too large you will lose muscle.

Set your goals properly here and follow that. You will not lose the same as you did in the past... your body changes. Dont strive for what happened before. Take it slow for the best results. Losing too quickly only hurts your body.

This.
    Mind you I have a hard time keeping my calorie intake over 1200 sometimes unless I eat cake which we all know is no good! :P
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older. I checked with 3 of my doctors and was told to eat 1000 calories a day to lose. If I eat 1200 I gain weight Much of it is age. In my 30's..40's I lost so easy. Now at 60 it is difficult.

I'll be 55 in March of this year. Still losing. I eat between 1700 and 1800 every day. It is possible.

NO WAY!! I thought you were in your 30s!!! You look AMAZING!!!

I thought the exact same thing! :)
  • smitty24
    Options
    Can I steal you away from here and pump you full of scholarly studies and treat you like an experiment doll? :D

:D
  • smitty24
    Options
    Simplest answer came from my trainer hubb- eat CLEAN, enough and the specific macros you need at the appropriate times. You will need to research what that means in depth. Lift HEAVY and in the appropriate way (again- research as its likely not what you think). And lastly, NEVER give up.

That's all I've got.

:)

Thankyou!
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I lost weight (about 10 lbs) on 1200 calories per day, then gained it back, then lost it again, and round and round we go for over a year. I was exhausted all the time, cranky, and felt like crap. I would binge when I got hungry. Then, I lost significantly more (a further 32 lbs) at 1700-1900 calories per day combined with a good strength training and fitness program eating back all my exercise calories.

The worst part of it wasn't the yo-yoing with my weight, but the long-term damage done to my hunger signaling. As has already been mentioned here, it's very easy when eating too low for too long for the body to adapt and for you to longer feel hungry. Well, that happened to me. Worst part is, it never got better. So all through my pregnancy and when I was eating more and working out, I ate not from hunger, but because I knew I needed to fuel myself. I still rarely actually feel hungry even if I haven't eaten all day. It may sound "awesome" but it actually sucks. It is not difficult for me to go all day long without eating if I'm not careful. Intuitive eating will probably never work for me now.

Long story short, learn your TDEE and eat at a slight deficit to that. Eat to fuel yourself. Weight loss shouldn't be a race to see who loses the fastest. Take your time. Learn to be consistent with your calorie intake and patient. Get on a solid fitness program doing whatever you like. PLEASE do not undereat. It's not worth the potential consequences.

Beautiful response, as always.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    The diet I've been on for the last two months allows me to eat 1200 calories a day and my results have been amazing, I've lost around 15 pounds, but that also includes eating healthy and exercise. I'd recommend limiting yourself to around 1200 calories a day if you're serious about losing weight.

:huh:

I don't consider myself to be "on a diet," but choosing smarter eating habits to fuel my workouts and my newfound love of running. I've lost over 30 lbs and eat between 1600-1700 calories per day, before exercise calories, which I sometimes use and sometimes don't. Now granted, it's taken me about 2 years to lose that weight and keep it off, but I'm not in a race with anyone, even myself :wink:

I guess according to your stringent standards, I'm "not serious" about losing weight? But I'm pretty happy with that "minus 33 pounds" ticker. :) And the muscles in my arms. And the way my clothes fit. And how it doesn't hurt going up the stairs like it did when I was overweight. And the fact that at 43 years old I can run/walk a half marathon...and still get up and go to work the next day. :)

Please don't make assumptions about others' "seriousness" or motivation toward getting healthy, based on how many calories they choose to intake. Eating less than an appropriate amount for your body's needs doesn't necessarily make one more awesome, but it can mess with your metabolism...and for some people, it can lead to serious health issues.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Help...I think I have figured out my TDEE at 1755 but I have no idea what that means or how much I should be eating. I am on the 1200 plan but I work out so much that I am always well under what the recommended calorie intake should be. My plan allows for a bit more protein and less carbs because I had gastric bypass seven years ago and my doctor wants me on 60 grams of protein a day. I actually struggle to get in more than 1400 calories because I always feel full, especially after workouts. I've been on the program since Jan. 4th and have lost 10lb. so far. I'm happy with how things are going but am fearful of that dreaded starvation mode I keep hearing about by not eating enough to make up for the exercise add ons. Suggestions?

One of my close friends had gastric bypass about 2 years ago. She works really closely with her surgeon and a dietician associated with her surgeon, because the nutritional needs of bypass patients can be very different than people who have not had WLS. She also works out with a personal trainer who had weight loss surgery himself, so he is able to help her manage her nutritional requirements during races, etc. You really need to work with professionals who have experience with WLS patients, as they will understand the changes in your body and how to best help you.

As for the calories--In your case, 1200 may be appropriate. I know that when my friend overeats or eats certain types of foods she gets very sick, so she's had to learn how to get enough nutrients in a lower amount of calories (as well as a higher protein intake as you mentioned).

If your TDEE is 1755 and you're eating between 1200-1400 per day, I think you're in the right ball park. That should average out to about 1 pound per week. And wow, since you just started on MFP a few weeks ago,10 pounds in less than one month is actually AWESOME!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For everyone saying, "I just eat when I'm hungry and it only ends up being 900 calories..." First off, hunger isn't the best way to feed your body. If we were all really good at reading our hunger signals, we wouldn't be on this site. "Listening to my body" is what got me scary skinny - down to about 102 pounds - about 15 years ago, and up to my somewhat chubby high weight two years ago. Not only that, but our bodies stop sending hunger signals during what it perceives as long periods of famine.

But the good news is, you're already using a site that can help.

Don't wait until after you've exercised to "eat your calories back." It's easier to eat an extra 50-100 calories six times a day (at each meal and snack) than is is to try to cram 300-600 calories in before bedtime.

Plan your day ahead of time. Don't just log after you eat. Plug in your information in the morning, or the night before, and check your macro settings (protein, fat and carbs) to see where you're falling short.

If you're low on fat, cook with your favorite vegetable oil (olive, coconut, whatever) or add more foods with healthy fats like avocado, peanut butter, nuts, salmon. Don't use skim milks, low- or no-fat yogurts, dressings, cheeses.

If you're low on protein, consider adding a slightly larger serving of whatever protein you're having. A couple extra slices of lunch meat on a sandwich, an extra ounce of chicken breast with dinner. Protein shakes and bars can be good options, too. I like protein bars because they satisfy my candy cravings, while packing 10-20g of protein instead of the 1-2g in a typical candy bar.

If you're having frozen dinners, add a little something extra. I often cook up some extra plain chicken breast so I can add an extra ounce to a microwave dinner. Or I add some Parmesan cheese to an Italian dish, a glop of guacamole to Mexican dishes, etc.

Unless you have a sensitivity (gluten intolerance, diabetes, etc.) there's no reason to avoid carbs. I have pasta, rice, bread, bagels, garlic bread, pizza, potatoes, etc regularly and it never hurt my progress. I aim to hit my protein and fat macros, get a good amount of fruit and veg, and fill the rest however I want.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I've finally figured out the formula (or at least I think that's the case!). I used to diet and eat between 600-850 calories per day and lost a lot of weight like that in the past. It was very difficult to maintain and although my stomach shrank and I didn't feel hungry after a while, I did find it very hard to stick to and I felt weak a lot of the time as I tried to maintain my training schedule too. It was very hard.

I got to a certain point and my weight loss stalled and as I couldn't eat any less without keeling over I had to give up and then when I started eating normally again I gained a lot of weight back. When my weight got lower, I was 122 lbs and a UK size 8 (US 4 I believe) but I was skinny fat. I'd lost a lot of muscle and I still had a body fat % of around 28%.

This time round I've taken a lot of advice and made some calculations and although I started on under 1000 calories I then put that up to 1200. After starting a 6 day a week workout schedule I decided to set my calories even hight because I knew I'd burn at least 300-600 per day from extra exercise so I set it to 1450 (just above my BMR). At first I didn't lost weight at all but after about a week and a half I've finally started losing again. In reality the 1450 limit is for days when I don't exercise (which is at most 1 day per week) and on the other days I'm eating back a lot of my exercise calories so I have around 1600 on average.

Before joining this site and reading about TDEE and BMR I never thought it was possible to lose weight on this many calories. I guess when my weight loss slows down I'll have to increase my calorie intake further and let my body adjust to that before I can lose more again but I'm willing to give it a try when that happens.

One thing I am finding is that I'm incredibly full every day and sometimes even to the point of feeling sick 'cos I'm so full. I am trying to eat over 100 grams of protein and keep my carbs under 100 on the whole which I am managing most days and I've also cut out sugar except for one or two pieces of fruit or fruit juice per week plus maybe a little whole grain sweetened cereal
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Why would anybody want to eat less than 1200 a day??

I'm a picky eater. I don't cook. I live off of fast food. So, instead of eating fried foods or artery cloggers like sausage biscuits, I order things like grilled chicken. This is not a lot of calories at all. Do you know how much chicken I'd have to eat each day to reach 1200 calories? LOL. Since I've started exercising, I've found that I'm not as "hungry" or craving food. I eat when I'm hungry and it still doesn't add up to 1200 calories.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've finally figured out the formula (or at least I think that's the case!). I used to diet and eat between 600-850 calories per day and lost a lot of weight like that in the past. It was very difficult to maintain and although my stomach shrank and I didn't feel hungry after a while, I did find it very hard to stick to and I felt weak a lot of the time as I tried to maintain my training schedule too. It was very hard.

I got to a certain point and my weight loss stalled and as I couldn't eat any less without keeling over I had to give up and then when I started eating normally again I gained a lot of weight back. When my weight got lower, I was 122 lbs and a UK size 8 (US 4 I believe) but I was skinny fat. I'd lost a lot of muscle and I still had a body fat % of around 28%.

This time round I've taken a lot of advice and made some calculations and although I started on under 1000 calories I then put that up to 1200. After starting a 6 day a week workout schedule I decided to set my calories even hight because I knew I'd burn at least 300-600 per day from extra exercise so I set it to 1450 (just above my BMR). At first I didn't lost weight at all but after about a week and a half I've finally started losing again. In reality the 1450 limit is for days when I don't exercise (which is at most 1 day per week) and on the other days I'm eating back a lot of my exercise calories so I have around 1600 on average.

Before joining this site and reading about TDEE and BMR I never thought it was possible to lose weight on this many calories. I guess when my weight loss slows down I'll have to increase my calorie intake further and let my body adjust to that before I can lose more again but I'm willing to give it a try when that happens.

One thing I am finding is that I'm incredibly full every day and sometimes even to the point of feeling sick 'cos I'm so full. I am trying to eat over 100 grams of protein and keep my carbs under 100 on the whole which I am managing most days and I've also cut out sugar except for one or two pieces of fruit or fruit juice per week plus maybe a little whole grain sweetened cereal

You just wrote my story for me. Exactly the same experience and I am on the same 1480 calories now and losing 1 lb a week. As my weight decreases I will be increasing my calories to just lose .5 lbs a week once I only have 10 lbs to lose.

I have never felt so healthy, happy and confident in my whole life. MFP for logging food and the MFP'ers who posted and led me to learn that you can EAT ad LOSE WEIGHT are the best things that have ever happened to me.

I choose healthy weight loss and retention of my muscles. :drinker:
  • semtypeshshan
    semtypeshshan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200. I have done it now for 3 weeks and have lost a total of 8 pounds! I find it works and I normally find myself under this just by chance but have eaten alot throughout the day!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200. I have done it now for 3 weeks and have lost a total of 8 pounds! I find it works and I normally find myself under this just by chance but have eaten alot throughout the day!

You just wrote my story too from when I first started using MFP. The rest of my story however, is that after abou week 4 my weight loss stopped totally for weeks on end. Thankfully I found all the posts about following the road map and eating between my BMR ad TDEE and after a week of upping my calories, my weight loss resumed and has been going down ever since.

Just sayin' :drinker:
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    I agree! I thought we are all on here for motivation and support, to help and answer questions with respectful answers and tones. I find some people to be a little rude in there tones also. Its just a question......

I agree
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I'm a picky eater. I don't cook. I live off of fast food. So, instead of eating fried foods or artery cloggers like sausage biscuits, I order things like grilled chicken. This is not a lot of calories at all. Do you know how much chicken I'd have to eat each day to reach 1200 calories? LOL. Since I've started exercising, I've found that I'm not as "hungry" or craving food. I eat when I'm hungry and it still doesn't add up to 1200 calories.

You know you should be eating more then one macro-nutrient to be healthy right? If you threw in some healthy fats (which help you absorb nutrients instead of pissing it all away) you'd be on your way to the right path
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you people ever read my postings?????

I read them and I've sent you a friend request ;)
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    That was me, too! I can tell you, I haven't lost any muscle mass (actually gained it) and maintained when I started to eat more. 1200+ just doesn't work for everyone.

Same here. All my blood tests got better. My fat % went way down, my lean muscle mass increased and my cardio endurance went through the roof. I also didn't royally mess up my metabolism either. I went through transition correctly...and was eating about 2000 calories a day when I was maintaining. It's not the right diet or program for everyone....however, it really worked for me.

Nope. I didn't know that. I think that I'm going to invest in a nutritionist or something bc I really don't want to starve myself or hurt myself by not eating enough.
  • teamAmelia
    Options

You know you should be eating more then one macro-nutrient to be healthy right? If you threw in some healthy fats (which help you absorb nutrients instead of pissing it all away) you'd be on your way to the right path

Quoted the wrong person in my earlier post...
    Nope. I didn't know that. I think that I'm going to invest in a nutritionist or something bc I really don't want to starve myself or hurt myself by not eating enough.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older. I checked with 3 of my doctors and was told to eat 1000 calories a day to lose. If I eat 1200 I gain weight Much of it is age. In my 30's..40's I lost so easy. Now at 60 it is difficult.

I'll be 55 in March of this year. Still losing. I eat between 1700 and 1800 every day. It is possible.

NO WAY!! I thought you were in your 30s!!! You look AMAZING!!!

I thought the same thing!!!
This discussion has been closed.