Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I mean who wouldn't stare at me?
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People stare at me because of my tattoos..I couldn't care less.

same
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I kinda look like someone famous so I get stared at all the time as they try to figure out if I'm them. It drove a gf crazy, she'd sometimes say no he's not him.

It's a voyeuristic world, just look at the popularity of reality shows.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are German? (It's a stereotype with some truth...)

http://mygermantravels.com/2011/03/german-staring-is-a-sport/
    If staring becomes an Olympic sport, the gold medal goes to Germany. When walking down a German cobbled street, the hairs on the back of your neck begin to prickle. Someone is staring at you. Why do Germans stare? Why do we feel uncomfortable under their gaze?

Glotzend is the German word for staring. The cold and unblinking gaze may be generational. Staring at strangers is more the hobby of the Deutsche elderly. Spiegel’s theory in their article, Whatcha Looking at Granny? “Germans will make sure that not only their own, but everyone else’s space, is in perfect Ordnung. “ This may especially be true with the veterans of East Germany, where watching neighbors was a communist requirement. Others believe staring at people is a national pastime, like a live reality television show.

The cold gaze is also part of the young at heart. In another Spiegel article, Flirting with Fräuleins, Hunting for Herren, “Interest is indicated by way of a studied, concentrated look on the part of the man — a gaze which may, but often doesn’t, include a smile.”

Speaking of romance, the legend of Deutsche staring morphed into a reported study by a German scientist, Dr. Karen Weatherby, claiming that gazing at women’s breasts helped male circulation. According to Dr. Weatherby, “Just 10 minutes of staring at the charms of a well-endowed female, is roughly equivalent to a 30-minute aerobics work-out.” Reported around the world, men dropped gym membership, and women protested. Dr. Weatherby, who sounded more British than German, turned out to be a hoax.

As the targets of stares, tourists feel uncomfortable. From the blog, Why Germans Stare, “Walking down the street you gather stares from people in their windows, people sitting at cafés, people walking the other direction.” Psychologist Jacques Duncan theorizes staring victims, “. . . loses some sense of autonomy upon realizing that he or she is a visible object.” A controversial scientist, Dr. Rupert Sheldrake argues humans posses a sixth sense that tells them a person is staring at them. “Many people have stared at other people’s backs, for example in a lecture theater, and watched them become restless and then turn round.”

• liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If it really bugs you, hon, you could stare back for a minute or so, and if they don't look away, say "Can I help you?" or "Did you want something?" just to call their attention to the fact that you know they are staring at you. Most people will look away once they realize what they are doing.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't have much starring, but I did have a girl at the college doing it A LOT yesterday. Honestly, though it is flattering, it was weird.
  • FitWithWit44
    FitWithWit44 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ariel_and_scuttle_staring_demotivational_by_owl_eye_2010-d5nfw72.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    hBD2D9197
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I just ask them if I can help...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I kinda look like someone famous so I get stared at all the time as they try to figure out if I'm them. It drove a gf crazy, she'd sometimes say no he's not him.

It's a voyeuristic world, just look at the popularity of reality shows.

Billy Joel right?!