Anyone else shy about working out in front of their spouse?

Options
I do not work out while my husband is at home because I'm afraid he'll laugh at what I'm doing...I guess I'm self-conscious. He says he wouldn't laugh but I don't believe him, so I don't work out until he leaves for work, which is around 3:00pm (Central time). Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me?

Replies

• KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when my husband watches. Though sometimes it's unavoidable. I do a lot of Just Dance and I hate when he watches me. Mostly because when it comes to the dance games, some of the moves are strange and even I laugh when I'm doing it. He's very supportive of me but he understands why I like to do it in private.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same way. My husband understands and will normally go to our bedroom to watch TV and play on his computer while I steal the living room for my workout.
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm currently single, but I was too embarrassed to exercise at home when I did live with someone. It wasn't because I thought he'd ridicule me (I knew he wouldn't) but because 90lbs ago I was very self-conscious because I felt extremely unfeminine, which I'm not pleased to admit. Now...? I don't know and doesn't really matter because I'm single. Honestly, if your husband did laugh at you for trying to better yourself health-wise, I recommend you punch him in the junk.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to, but we love to workout together now.
    Your husband should be supportive.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm currently single, but I was too embarrassed to exercise at home when I did live with someone. It wasn't because I thought he'd ridicule me (I knew he wouldn't) but because 90lbs ago I was very self-conscious because I felt extremely unfeminine, which I'm not pleased to admit. Now...? I don't know and doesn't really matter because I'm single. Honestly, if your husband did laugh at you for trying to better yourself health-wise, I recommend you punch him in the junk.

I second the punching of the junk.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It really wrecks my concentration if he's watching, so I avoid working out when he's around. I go to the gym most of the time; he has no interest in going there.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No, never. He has seen me at a lot worse then exercising. Seems like watching your S.O exerciser would be more of a turn on, then turn off, but I can understand how one might feel shy. Hopefully soon enough you can find the self-confidence you need not to feel shy when working out around him. Good luck!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Never worried about working out in front of my hubby in fact he works out with me now or we take it in turns we also train together in the gym too, try getting your hubby to join in too after all people who play together stay together ????
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would always ask my husband to go do something while I worked out, but after time I don't care if he watches me... Most of the time he just watches tv while I am watching my workout videos on the computer... Show him what you got!! If anything he may become more attractive to you:) when he sees you working so hard!!! After I am finished I usually sing "I workout!!" or "I'm sexy and I know it"...lol Life is to short!!! Show it OFF!!! :)
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    HA! YES!

Only with ZUMBA and workout videos though, with running I could care less.. BUT any time I do ZUMBA.. I MAKE my boyfriend play videos games or hang out on his PC! I KNOW I look ridiculous, I don't need it pointed out lmao.
  • Chloe0602
    Chloe0602 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was, until he started doing it with me :) Seeing him struggle at first, grunt and make funny faces has cured me of being shy. I now work out in front of my friends husband and kids, when we use her house, without issues ;)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm not married.

but when i did have a partner, I could run with him, but i couldn't rock climb or lift weights in front of him.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all...I'm not going to lie though, the first time I did Zumba in front of my hubs was pretty humiliating but he actually loved watching me! Now I just don't care. He's the one person I am 100% completely comfortable with. You shouldn't be shy about doing something that is going to better you in front of your own husband! I'm sure he would be supportive and be happy for you!
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband and I rarely get to go to the gym together, but when we do- I push myself harder to show off.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Options
    I WILL NOT exercise in front of my husband, I workout when he is at work, or I go to my moms and run on her treadmill
  • Grizelda76
    Grizelda76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would never let my husband watch me exercising, I can't compete with those beautiful, slim, toned girls on the dvds! I'd just feel like a wobbly mess jumping around the living room :(
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I lock myself in the bedroom :smile:
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Nah. I am sure he has seen me in much more embarassing and compromising positions.

edited to add my example of a C-section for all you naughty people.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not because he would laugh at me. I'm very self-conscious about that stuff. I'd prefer to work out without anyone watching me. My husband is nothing but supportive. But I totally understand how you feel.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I work out with my girlfriend, meaning I bench, squat and deadlift her.