personal trainer confusion!

Options

Replies

• nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    lol i agree jamie oliver is obsessed with olive oil!
  • nicola19489
    Options
    i agree i am feeling rather negative towards him! hard not to when he isnt even doing something he said he would do. he said before i even paid him money hed send me this this and that and make a diet plan blaaa blaaa and still nothing. every week is critical i think for weightloss.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Dairy fats (whole milk, butter etc) have been proven time and again to be better for both the brain/body and for fat loss than their low-fat or synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately, this doesn't gel well with the fortune many companies have made peddling the 'low-fat is better' myth (much like the 'sweeteners are better than sugar' fallacy, but that's a rant for another thread :wink: ) , and even many doctors and nutritionists haven't caught up, and are still buying into the low-fat ideal. Sounds to me like your PT is on the right track, though I'd ask him why he doesn't want you tracking calories. In fact, I'd ask him to explain his reasoning for anything you don't understand - you're the one paying him, after all.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i agree i am feeling rather negative towards him! hard not to when he isnt even doing something he said he would do. he said before i even paid him money hed send me this this and that and make a diet plan blaaa blaaa and still nothing. every week is critical i think for weightloss.

Yes, that's the problem, his advice may be 100%, but the trust has been broken, if he wasn't honest about what he would do, how can you believe anything else?

That said, every cloud has a silver lining, if he has not fulfilled his obligations to you, it might be easier to get out of the contract.
  • nicola19489
    Options
    ye i am starting to convert in to the whole milk thing altho i cudnt even drink half of my coffee this morning with it in or even finish my whole fat yoghurt and fruit! made me want to throw up! suppose my body is just going to get used to it. well he sed hes not bothered about calories. i can eat when im hungry but listen to myself when im full which makes sense.. quite obvious really.
  • nicola19489
    Options
    ye exactly im going to a class later so hopefully he will be there and i can have a chat with him. i think hes very busy with other clients but also bootcamps and things but he surely shouldnt have taken another client on if he cant give them what they pay for and what he promotes he will do for them?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are created equal. Some are good, some are bad.

Might want to have a chat with him about different kinds of milk since it got brought up. I drink rice milk, but a lot of trainers suggest almond milk. Both are good options, just depends what your needs & wants are.
  • sarahandley1
    Options
    I know what you mean, my PT has advised the same and to be honest i have never felt better for doing so. I am following the Carb Nite diet which takes so much into account, like sugars, dairy, protein and fats. But with low Carbs. Im a nursing student and learning this was a good diet was a lot for me to swallow, but i had just found out that another student has been doing it also and the weight is shedding off him, i have been doing it for 3 weeks and done no exercise yet and i have lost 3 kgs and cms off my bust and waist.. i know it seems so opposite of everything that we have been taught since we were born. But allow yourself to give it a try give yourself 8 weeks and if nothing has happened then go to something else. 1 thing i can tell you is you wont eat as much and you will be fuller for longer. I wish you all the best and trust me when i say there is alot of negative vibes about this kind i diet, but it works me and my friend are living proof of it and my PT only put us on to it because his brother had dropped 60kgs in a little over a year.. see how you go and think outside the box. The studies make sense when you look into it.. Goodluck !!!
  • nicola19489
    Options
    thanks sarah :) im defo gona try.it now thanks for your story and postivity!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Wow, there's so much rubbish in this thread it's hard to find the good advice! For those saying he's not qualified to give you nutritional advice, you don't know what qualifications he has. More than many here judging by some of the answers above.

I am glad I'm not your PT though, or anyones PT to be honest!

You sound very impatient (every day counts, he spent time talking about why we are doing this which we could have done elsewhere) etc.

If there is something that you don't understand, ask him. If you don't trust him then look for someone else who tells you what you want to hear, there will be someone out there who advocates what you believe...then again maybe what you (and many of teh replies here) believe is wrong and that's why you sought the advice of a PT anyway?

Everyone is different. Give him time, it will take months of looking at your food diary, seeing how you respond to exercise and changes in diet etc.

Judge him by his/your results, not here on mfp. That will take time. You don't get fat overnight, you don't get thin overnight.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's so much rubbish in this thread it's hard to find the good advice! For those saying he's not qualified to give you nutritional advice, you don't know what qualifications he has. More than many here judging by some of the answers above.

I am glad I'm not your PT though, or anyones PT to be honest!

You sound very impatient (every day counts, he spent time talking about why we are doing this which we could have done elsewhere) etc.

If there is something that you don't understand, ask him. If you don't trust him then look for someone else who tells you what you want to hear, there will be someone out there who advocates what you believe...then again maybe what you (and many of teh replies here) believe is wrong and that's why you sought the advice of a PT anyway?

Everyone is different. Give him time, it will take months of looking at your food diary, seeing how you respond to exercise and changes in diet etc.

Judge him by his/your results, not here on mfp. That will take time. You don't get fat overnight, you don't get thin overnight.

Whilst what I said about nutrition is similar, I disagree about the impatience. The OP never said she wants to lose 5lbs by tomorrow or anything ridiculous like that, she just wants to get started, which she can't do until the PT provides both a complete food and exercise plan.

Being patient with results is one thing, but being eager to get started is different and not a bad thing.
  • nicola19489
    Options
    thankyou dan!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I consistently lose weight each week and eat all those saturated fats your trainer suggested you eat. I've lost 50 pounds since July 2012, and I look and feel pretty great.

I do count calories because I need to know where I'm at, but it is true for most people that you will be very satiated if you eat whole foods and a good amount of healthy saturated fats.

I don't personally agree with not counting calories, especially early on in your quest to lose fat and get fit. I don't usually track my food daily anymore, but I pretty much know the numbers attached to what I eat because I eat a lot of the same foods in the same portion sizes. When I eat something new or in a different amount, I track.

I don't disagree with most of his nutritional advice. The workout he put you through sounds slightly odd-- I'm not sure where he's going with that, but I'm not a trainer and I'm guessing he's got some plan in mind. Showing up late isn't cool at all, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Who knows what was going on that day. I've been late on occasion, and I'll bet you have too.

All that said, if you don't like the guy and find yourself second guessing everything he tells you, fire him! In the future, spend some time talking to people a fair bit beforehand so that you can find a trainer who is a better fit. Waste of time/money otherwise.

P.S. If you are going to continue eating high fat, you might find it helpful to take digestive enzymes before each meal, at least for the first few weeks, until your body adjusts. Look for a product with Betaine HCL.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

He may be trying to give you a diet plan that is based primarily off of whole foods. which, from my own personal experience, seems to regulate my appetite better. Some people find that this is more convenient than simply counting calories. The only way you'll know is if you try it out and see how it works.

The whole "eat organic" thing is debatable.

In all honesty you haven't really told me anything that has sent up any red flags. The fact that he wants you to cook with butter and goose fat. is fine. He's just doing what it sounds like he's probably had success with in the past.

My advice would be to give it a month.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    THIS. Also, the increase in fat intake and a reduction in carbs will train your body to start burning fat for fuel which is more efficient & will start using the fat in your body as fuel as well.

ok the part about "burng fat for fuel being more efficient" is wrong. Your body is most efficient at burning carbs. PERIOD. Don't put it out there if you aren't certain of it's truth. Carbs, fat, then protein - in that order, is what your body is most efficient as using for fuel.

Nah ahhh

You are incorrect, you gain more energy from fat PERIOD!

'Energy from food is commonly measured in kilocalories and expressed as calories on food labels, as well as in discussion of energy intake and expenditure. Fat, protein and carbohydrate are the macronutrients that provide calories. At 9 calories per gram, fat provides the most energy per gram. Carbohydrate and protein each provide 4 calories per gram. Your body needs food sources of all three macronutrients to support healthy growth, development and immunity.'

Our bodies use Carbs first because they are so readily available to us so it stores the fat and uses Carbs instead.

@OP You need to eat Fat to lose Fat.

I was on the Keto diet recently which is high Protein/High Fat intake and i've lost 12lbs in 4 weeks, do some research on Keto and it will help you understand how our body works when looking for energy to use.

If you eat more Fat and lower carbs to under 50g then your body trains itself to use the Fat instead of the carbs, as our bodies were intended to do back in the caveman days
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was confused and a little scared after eating low fat for so long (years and years and years and it didn't work for me, btw), but I was able to find a lot of explanation and help with the links provided here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition

Good luck, and don't beat your trainer up too much. :)
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat - as long as it is organic - actually aids in fat metabolism!!!

Great sources of fat for weight loss and health:
    - nuts, seeds, avocados, organic full fat dairy, pastured butter, eggs, grass fed beef......etc.

Our bodies are naturally build to use fat for fuel!

We have been brainwashed by the "Diet" and "Low-Fat" industry into thinking we should not eat fat - and still society is getting fatter and fatter eating "diet foods" - They need you to eat their products to stay in business, hence they need you to stay fat.

Watch : Hungry for change

Read:
    NaturalNews.com
    book: Fat Switch

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/10/fat-not-glucose.aspx

http://search.mercola.com/search/pages/results.aspx?k=dietary fat good
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified personal trainer - and here are my thoughts:

I DO cook with real butter - but only about 1 TBS a day. Maybe two if I did a leg workout (I'm also a weight-lifter). I would NEVER advise anyone to use margarine - it's one molecule away from plastic!
    Furthermore we were also instructed about the benefits of using reduced fat dairy products as opposed to full-fat dairy products.
    Your body DOES need a certain amount of fat in order to survive.

Personal trainers are taught about nutrition - but are NOT nutritionists!

Telling you to NOT count calories?!?! RUBBISH! How in the heck are you supposed to use the "eat less/move more" principle if you don't know what you're eating?!

That's just from my learning and experience. If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I'd drop him like you wish to drop your weight!! Or, if you're locked into a contract, present him with your own information and explain to him that you've hired him to be a personal TRAINER, not a personal NUTRITIONIST as he is not QUALIFIED to give you that advice.

Best of luck to you!

Just because someone is not qualified doesn't mean they should not advise people. I know lots of trainers who advise a) using full fat foods and b) not to count calories and they have amazing client transformations.

You telling the OP to drop him just because he doesn't teach the way you teach is very naive. Not all trainers are the same as not all cleints are the same.

If you'll go back and look, I didn't say for the OP to drop him - I said "if I were in your shoes". That means MY PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON WHAT I KNOW AND WHAT WORKS FOR ME would lead me to drop him. I've dropped a personal trainer before for advising me to eat tuna for lunch every day. Sorry - that doesn't work for me.

I am VERY specific in how I word things so that it is know that it is my OPINION based on what I WOULD DO.

Naive? Nope. Opinionated and specific about what I want? ABSOLUTELY! It's my money - I have a right to spend it how I see fit.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options

If you eat more Fat and lower carbs to under 50g then your body trains itself to use the Fat instead of the carbs, as our bodies were intended to do back in the caveman days

What about the caveman's predecessor? We could go all the way back up the chain .... fruits, berries, grasses....

How about eating as clean as possible?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Well, from what he is saying he is asking you to eat clean. Meaning, no more preservatives. No fake sweeteners or added chemicals to your food to save calories. There's a difference between low calorie food, and good calorie food sometimes.

If he's saying you're okay to eat brayers ice cream - then yeah, he's a little weird.

But, I am assuming that you did have a chat with him about your current diet and the things you eat right now. If you mentioned that you DO eat subsitute sugars, and pasturized food and what not, he's probably thinking that you need to detoxify your system. It's really really hard to eat clean these days, because such a large majority of our foods are processed ( which is good for businesses, not our bodies!) and/or they are trying to keep up with the 'low calorie, low fat' fad, by using fake ingredients and things that we just shouldnt have in our body. These ingredients cause a lot of problems, as far as digestion goes. They don't get digested properly, which leaves chemicals in our gut. So now, not only are we not getting proper nutrition but we're holding onto chemicals in our bodies and those chemicals are stopping us from ridding ourselves of the 'low calorie' food we were trying to diet with.

Further more, there's a difference between good fats and bad fats. Good fats: avocado, butter (not margarine!), coconut oils (not canola oil) -- there's a list (I recommend you do research into the paleo diet to look for more answers if you are interested, it's hard to do but SO worth it - at least paleo inspired ideas would help)..> Bad fats: everything delicious that I indulge in on my birthday. Chocolates, candy, ice cream, sugar, refined sugars, pops, juice -- yes juice! Orange juice has a lot of natural sugar, and a lot of unnatural sugar -- and by the end of it, there's not enough of anything else in thes fruit juices to make up for the amount of sugar, so they all turn to fat and add to our middle-jiggle if you will :( .

Good fats, like those that he's asking you to eat (unpasturized milk, organic foods, whole butter - all of those) actually help to replace all of your bad fats in the body. SO all those years as a child eating oreos at 3am, that lead us to a jiggly shaped body are showing now - it's about time to switch up the bad fats into the good fats and your body will clean itself up. Good fats (the whole omega 3,6,9 deal) are good for your body fat percentage! It will actually lower it. Not to mention, they are wonderful for your skin, your hair, your heart, your brain. All of those things. (Omega 3 is less your friend if you take too much of that -- but that's a discussion for another time.)

All in all, I don't know your whole story or what you used to eat - nor what kind of physical activity you do. But if what he's telling you sounds anything like that ^^ and anything like Paleo (please look it up, you won't regret it) then he's not crazy, it's not rubbish. You hired a keeper. :)

^^ This!!!